GROM ebike knock-off | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GROM ebike knock-off

It does have small bicycle pedals, just not in the marketing pictures.

You can tell it's not a real Grom up close. No combustion motor or exhaust is visible. It also runs silently...and slowly compared to regular traffic.

It's just a fun little toy. I probably wouldn't buy one though

It does have small bicycle pedals, just not in the marketing pictures.

Aha... I stand corrected, I did some more searching and actually found a picture of them, as well as mention in the manual.

Of course, in an effort to shed the eBike stigma I'm sure many people will promptly remove them, hence opening up the same can of worms for them since no pedals=no longer technically an eBike.

Aha... I stand corrected, I did some more searching and actually found a picture of them, as well as mention in the manual.

Of course, in an effort to shed the eBike stigma I'm sure many people will promptly remove them, hence opening up the same can of worms for them since no pedals=no longer technically an eBike.

put on micro pedals, shave the pedals down to tiny sticks, make them flip up or fold in
if you get stopped, pop them out
law does not define what a pedal is

I saw a Youtube video, dude was using a dental mirror front left of his tach...that's a side mirror (technically)

put on micro pedals, shave the pedals down to tiny sticks, make them flip up or fold in

They need to be functional. If they are made basically non functional to the point where a cop pulls you over, asks you to prove they work, and you can't (because you can't actually make the bike move under your own power), you're going to be in violation.

I saw a Youtube video, dude was using a dental mirror front left of his tach...that's a side mirror (technically)

As for the mirrors, there are standards, at least for motorcycles. CMVSS 111.

[FONT=&quot]Motorcycles[/FONT]
  • (13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,
    • (a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm2 (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or
    • (b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm2 (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

Of course, in the world of the DUI Bike, yeah...that dental mirror is 100% more than what's actually required by law, which is nothing whatsoever.

why wouldn't they work? use something like your bike footpegs as your pedal
does it say how far you have to pedal for?

I am sure someone can make some decent looking mini fold up pedals.

* I am not a fan of ebikes or vehicles on the roads that do not pass a test or carry insurance.
If I have to do it then so do they.

Even better you can cruise the streets like a real motorbike, just with no plate. These guys are getting ballsy-er.

this they are, I work in Niagara Falls, not sure if its the tourists or locals, but they are brutal, had a guy trying to lane split near a slow intersection today, some constantly cutting across live lanes of traffic, riding in the blocking position in the left lane.

It seems people are mistakenly thinking they are real motorbikes.... hopefully they start treating them as such with plates,insurance etc.

They are becoming a menace IMHO

this they are, I work in Niagara Falls, not sure if its the tourists or locals, but they are brutal, had a guy trying to lane split near a slow intersection today, some constantly cutting across live lanes of traffic, riding in the blocking position in the left lane.

It seems people are mistakenly thinking they are real motorbikes.... hopefully they start treating them as such with plates,insurance etc.

They are becoming a menace IMHO
Last time I was in the falls there were tourists riding around in traffic on rental e bikes with no helmets. It was some island BS

We were in Niagara Falls the weekend before last, about a 10 minute walk west of lundys lane there was a place renting them.

They need to be functional. If they are made basically non functional to the point where a cop pulls you over, asks you to prove they work, and you can't (because you can't actually make the bike move under your own power), you're going to be in violation.

No reason why smaller pedals won't work. The pedals on the original scooter style ebikes were far from functional and downright dangerous (given how difficult they were to use due to their placement, how far they stuck out and how low to the ground they were), and they still passed.

You know how it goes. The pols need a few tragic corpses attached to a Toronto Sun headline in 400 point type before anything happens. Then the finger pointing starts about who let unlicensed motor vehicles on the road.

You know how it goes. The pols need a few tragic corpses attached to a Toronto Sun headline in 400 point type before anything happens. Then the finger pointing starts about who let unlicensed motor vehicles on the road.

THIS!

It's damn sad and demonstrates just how stupid our law makers are.
Someone should sue the city to make point and argue they were negligent in their duty allowing these things on the road.
They ride around at night with no lights on...this is just beyond stupid.

Does anyone know if you took a small go-cart and bolted on an electric motor AND put pedals on it if you can drive it on the road, lol.
Just attach those pedals you use your hands to turn...lol

hmmm
what if you put an electric motor and connect pedals (hand crank pedals)

lol, I think you'd have a really hard time proving you could pedal one of those unless the pedals only have a one inch rotational diameter.

Low and behold, on my way home tonight, downtown Oshawa...I pull up beside one of these things.

It sure looks like a motorcycle. I suspect the guy had been pulled over a few times since he had a big thing where the licence plate would normally go stating "Electric bicycle".

So....

021816-2016-honda-grom-msx125-71260_16YM_MSX125.jpg

Needs motorcycle licence, licence plate and sticker, motorcycle insurance with minimum 1 Million dollars in liability, helmet. Designed for passengers, but only after licensee holds proper class licence.

Knight-Red-2.jpg

Needs no licence, no license plate or sticker, no insurance, bicycle helmet. Designed for passengers, no requirement for any special licence to take passengers.

You tell me where this makes sense?

Last edited:
Low and behold, on my way home tonight, downtown Oshawa...I pull up beside one of these things.

It sure looks like a motorcycle. I suspect the guy had been pulled over a few times since he had a big thing where the licence plate would normally go stating "Electric bicycle".

So....

Needs motorcycle licence, licence plate and sticker, motorcycle insurance with minimum 1 Million dollars in liability, helmet. Designed for passengers, but only after licensee holds proper class licence.

Needs no licence, no license plate or sticker, no insurance, no helmet. Designed for passengers, no requirement for any special licence to do so. (Although technically it's not legal for eBikes IIRC, but will that stop anyone?)

You tell me where this makes sense?

It doesn't!

...but you do need to wear at least a bicycle approved helmet when riding an ebike, as well as be at least 16 years old. And you can carry passengers on an ebike provided there is a seat and foot rests for the passenger.

@BusaBob the part about 16 years old threw me off. CT was selling Razor iirc branded Vespa style scooters that would be much too small for most 16 year olds. All the 10 year olds were riding them. But they did not go anywhere near 32kmh

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

And you can carry passengers on an ebike provided there is a seat and foot rests for the passenger.

My bad, I thought it was not legal for passengers on eBikes.

No wonder they claim ignorance:

https://youtu.be/QvfpbDhtSFI

Very informative, and I bet not a single e-biker knows or cares, unfortunately. I think the OPP/TPS should have a comprehensive series similar to this explaining the ins and outs of the HTA. It would be much more accessible for the average person, especially considering retesting doesn't happen until you're eighty.

On an unrelated note, I lament the transformation of police attire from a proper uniform to a goon suit straight out of a video game. Shouting at me with all caps labels (POLICE!) is something I'd expect on an ETF officer in a hostage situation, not someone I might need to rely on for help.

Back
Top Bottom