Non-parking zone | GTAMotorcycle.com

Non-parking zone

clyder

Hello,

What do you guys think about parking your bike in a non-parking zone? It's not a topic we talked about in the safety class and teacher was mentioning to treat a bike the same way as a car in terms of lane when riding, parking space, etc. As I'm trying to picture how I can park the bike at work, I see lots of those (see pictures). What are you thoughts?

bddd481d5d447ef65ded075921867abf.jpg

b0280eab930d9c5b8d66af87fafd3057.jpg

a06093c0a14c6ed359a05f8be480fdfd.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

won't be long before some are knocked over or scratched up...likely tow trucks will deal with them

I half understand why people do it (to avoid parking lot damage or being knocked down because someone backed into their bike), but it's also kind of douchey, particularly when you park on a walkway. And I agree, eventually someone will decide to dole out a little renegade justice and kick the bike over while being forced to walk around it.

Or they'll just ticket them. It depends on what the lot owners tells you. Some want you to park in specific spots where cars can't and will give you a discount.

That's a $50 ticket there for parking on a boulevard. Surprised meter maids haven't got them yet.

I'm surprised they never got a ticket myself; the only ticket I'm seen is to a bike that was literally parked on the side walk at one point close to those bikes but still on the sidewalk. Whoever thought it was a great parking idea clearly was pushing it on that day.

So what about inside a building; can motorcycles park over yellow striped lines area or it goes to the property manager's discretion?

I don't think it's right, but I can see why people do it. Would be nice if we had more of a motorcycle culture like LA, and rather than having to take up a spot where a car might hit us (thinking the spot is free), or parking on the sidewalk, that there were a dedicated few spots for motorcycle-only parking.

As for parking in no-parking zones, I do know of a few places with private lots that actually are ok with it, but I'd never do it unless I was literally stopping for 1-2 mins, or had talked to the parking enforcement officer/department beforehand.

Some places turn a blind eye to it... but there's always limits. One of those pictures, there are bikes parked on both sides of the walkway - that's a bad idea. You have now cut the effective width of that walkway in half. Also consider in that photo the immediately adjacent accessible parking spot. If someone using that spot has to thread the needle with their mobility device, you can pretty much guarantee they are going to (justifiably) complain about it, and management will quickly throw all those bikes under a tow truck to stop any lawsuits from appearing on the horizon.

When in doubt, ask whoever is in charge of parking. They may have a good answer for you that makes everyone happy

They are not gonna get ticket there... technically, its not a green P, so.. its Private property where they are parked, off the public sidewalk. And since they are not parked in parking lot, the blue P guys cant give them their tickets.

The only thing that can happen is that the owner of that property can call and tow the bikes.

Just make sure the bike is out of the way and not taking up significant space. If it doesn't impede pedestrian traffic then I see no problem with it. Sometimes it even makes more sense to park on a walkway but you risk a ticket/tow so it's up to you in the end.

I agree the bikes parked on both sides of that walkway was poor judgement.

From the photos, it would appear to me that the bikes in question are parked on private property.
This is reinforced by the red Pay Here sign and fact the machine has a blue P and not a green P logo.
Also the sidewalk where they are parked is not adjacent to the roadway.
You are liable for a tag for Park on Private Property Without Consent ticket and a possible tow.

Last edited:
So what about inside a building; can motorcycles park over yellow striped lines area or it goes to the property manager's discretion?

Hashed lines are usually for clearance of larger vehicles, or meant for pedestrian traffic, otherwise, they'd just leave the space as part of the lane.

How are motorcycles even towed? Would they use a flatbed or a trailer to tow the bike away? What if you parked somewhere that's not easy to get to? It's not like they'd just lift your bike up and move it right?

I'm really curious about this. I've seen bikes parked at malls on elevated (from the road) ground and just don't see how the bike could be towed safely without damaging it, considering that the steering is locked or if the owner had a disc lock on it.

The flatbed winch doesn't really give a **** if your wheels turn or not

How are motorcycles even towed? Would they use a flatbed or a trailer to tow the bike away? What if you parked somewhere that's not easy to get to? It's not like they'd just lift your bike up and move it right?

I'm really curious about this. I've seen bikes parked at malls on elevated (from the road) ground and just don't see how the bike could be towed safely without damaging it, considering that the steering is locked or if the owner had a disc lock on it.
They strap it to the triple tree and rear frame. The may use blankets but For sure leads to damage on fairings. I've seen a lot of bikes in slings. When I have had the need for a tow, I requested a flatbed (that's what CAA sends) . The other time the bike was in bad shape so the sling didn't matter anyway..

Last edited:
I have seen the regular "wrecker" type of tow truck remove motorcycles using the method described by Kiwi.

If youre parking in a lot with an attendant, ask them if you can park on the sidewalks or in the "no parking zones" if you really feel the need to be different. Otherwise just park in a spot like everyone else. If you park on the sidewalk you will eventually get towed, along with a fat ticket. Dont do it.

Sure, you can park like that or wherever you want. But you're gonna (potentially) face the same parking penalties as any other vehicle parking somewhere where they're not supposed to.

I know some garages have seasonal motorcycle specific parking which are usually closer to entrances/elevators. Beyond that, even verbal permission from a parking attendant might not be enough, cuz I wouldn't trust them to converse with any parking enforcement that goes in there.

Just play it safe and park where you're supposed to.

I just wish people would stop thinking the hashed off area beside handicapped spots was for bikes to park. That spot is for the handicap ramp yet it's probably one of the most common places I see motorcycles parked.

Back
Top Bottom