Sena 20s and earbuds question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sena 20s and earbuds question

stickman88

I'm considering using earplugs instead of the stock speakers as wind noise is driving me crazy so I figured wearing earplugs will help me hear my phone calls better at high speeds and at the same time protect my hearing alittle since it is an in ear headphone.

My question is if I plug in my headphones right in the front jack can I completely remove my speakers from the unit and helmet? Reason I ask is because I have heard the radio signal is based in the speaker cord and I do listen to radio alot. It would seem pointless to have the speakers in my helmet if I am using earplugs. Also where did you guys put the extra slack frm the earbuds?

I'm just guessing, but if it is using the speaker cord as an antenna, it should do the same with your headphones as they have a cable as well. This is pretty much how the old walkmans worked back in the 80s and early 90s.

That said, I'd also potentially try ear plugs unless you really like in ear monitors. I have a Sena SMH10, and with ear plugs the speakers are ok, and can be heard at highways speeds.

Have you tried using the speakers while wearing earplugs? I use the same type of speakers, but plugged into my phone rather than a comms device like the Sena. I also wear foam earplugs. I can hear most things very well through the plugs. I did buy a mini-amp to boost the volume a bit, mostly for listening to audio books on long boring rides.

Yeh I've tried using earplugs but I still can't hear my Sena even on local road if it's a windy day or going even past 60kmph. I have an airmada helmet so maybe also that's why. The speakers are also behind the cushioning of the helmet as there I no slit for them to go elsewhere. So I'd like to try another alternative. I don't always wear earplugs so why not wear earbuds to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also conundrum I'm not sure if the antenna works like that? I assume it's alrdy built in with the Sena speakers. The earbuds I'm using are just my Samsung Galaxy in ear headphones.

To each their own but actively listening to e-books/music and talking on the phone for social conversation seems to be a sure way to distract yourself from the road. How does one listen to an e-book while focusing on the road?

I use earplugs and I can hear music at highway speeds.
I tried without earplugs and the music is much louder but the wind noise is not fun.
I put the earplugs right into my ear canal. I see some ppl just sticking them oddly at the opening of their ears.

If you leave the speakers in you'll have them as backup in case you're out and your earbuds break (just a thought). My speakers are behind fabric as well in my HJC RPHA which flows lots of air and isn't overly quiet. Do you have the volume boost enabled in the settings?

If you leave the speakers in you'll have them as backup in case you're out and your earbuds break (just a thought). My speakers are behind fabric as well in my HJC RPHA which flows lots of air and isn't overly quiet. Do you have the volume boost enabled in the settings?

Yeh I have my volume boost enabled and also I find I'm always at max volume, which is prob not good on my ears lol. I figured wearing ear buds will serve as both better music listening along with hearing protection. When I connect with other to intercom I can barely hear them at speeds over 60kmph.

So I'm guessing u just stick with ur speakers right? I'm just suggesting taking out the speakers so that my ears have more room to breathe and that the earbuds won't literally jam into my head when I have my helmet on since the speakers are at the ear location. My earbuds stick out alittle and I can alrdy imagine it being uncomfortable with the speakers in also.

Im just wondering if using no speakers still allows for radio use

Last edited:
Do the speakers just unplug from the main unit?

I have the same preference as you (earphones rather than the speakers).

I briefly looked into this but never got around to physically checking.

In the OP, you said you want to protect your hearing... based on my experience, a better helmet will reduce the drone of wind... I went from Joe Rocket to Shoei RF1100 and my Joe Rocket turned into a paperweight. I have Sena 10 and wear earplugs on every ride in the Shoei. Sure, music quality is CRAP from those little speakers but I can hear it just fine thru the plugs while cutting out almost all the wind noise.

I know you said you want to switch to earbuds, but, a more expensive (better) option may be to look at new helmet! Just my 0.02

How does one listen to an e-book while focusing on the road?

No worse than talk radio, or actively listening to music (i.e. singing along). Really helps with those 700km days on the KLR.

To the OP, regular earbud headphones don't do much to block out wind noise (just put them in with no music on and you can still hear everything going on around you). That means you will have to crank the volume pretty high and risk damaging your hearing. May want to consider custom molded plugs with drivers molded in. Tinnitus sucks, trust me.

Last edited:
Yeh I know a better helmet would be the best but I'm trying to make the best of this situation without spending $500+ lol. I like my helmet and everything it does except for I guess the wind noise, they don't called it airmada for nothing lol.

I've already tried earplugs but it only helps a little. Still can't hear much when I pick up speed.

...love people speculating on something they have little or no experience with. :rolleyes:

Better helmet is a waste of money IMNSHO

The SENA 20s work fine without any speakers in at all ....that's my normal go to configuration for riding, listening to audio books and music.

If my kid is along ....I put the speakers in so I can hear him through/over the Shure215s.

Let's get a few things clarified....a lot of helmet noise comes from resonance in the cavity left for speakers....easiest way to eliminate that is to damp that cavity with a small bag of -33 db earplugs under the cloth cover....that gives you the best ( and adjustable ) seal for the earphones ....the Shure are very low profile so I can use them with the SENA 20 speakers but other brands of earphones may not clear. ( my Panasonics for instance which I love but stick out....the Shure can easily be used even with tight FF helmets. All parts of the SHure 215s are replaceable....not true with other brands
I highly recommend an Oxford thin Balaclava with any earphones....makes helmet on and off much easier, provides a better seal and keeps the earphones in place.

Third party tips like the Westoneand Comply Pro can make a huge difference in seal and sound quality.

Decent earphones....Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone and others are noise isolating to about -26db. They both attenuate external noise to safe levels AND offer much greater fidelity. Look for -26 attentuation on any earphone purchase.

These take no more space than your ears once you figure out how to seat them

Shure-SE425-CL-Sound-Isolating-Earphones.jpg

The Westone tips are better for sound - the Shure is shown with the decent foam tip it comes with but the longer Westone tips give a better seal and better attenuation.

truefit-10pk-red.jpg
and are better value than the Comply which are good but $$

...love people speculating on something they have little or no experience with. :rolleyes:

Better helmet is a waste of money IMNSHO

The SENA 20s work fine without any speakers in at all ....that's my normal go to configuration for riding, listening to audio books and music.

If my kid is along ....I put the speakers in so I can hear him through/over the Shure215s.

Let's get a few things clarified....a lot of helmet noise comes from resonance in the cavity left for speakers....easiest way to eliminate that is to damp that cavity with a small bag of -33 db earplugs under the cloth cover....that gives you the best ( and adjustable ) seal for the earphones ....the Shure are very low profile so I can use them with the SENA 20 speakers but other brands of earphones may not clear. ( my Panasonics for instance which I love but stick out....the Shure can easily be used even with tight FF helmets. All parts of the SHure 215s are replaceable....not true with other brands
I highly recommend an Oxford thin Balaclava with any earphones....makes helmet on and off much easier, provides a better seal and keeps the earphones in place.

Third party tips like the Westoneand Comply Pro can make a huge difference in seal and sound quality.

Decent earphones....Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone and others are noise isolating to about -26db. They both attenuate external noise to safe levels AND offer much greater fidelity. Look for -26 attentuation on any earphone purchase.

These take no more space than your ears once you figure out how to seat them

Shure-SE425-CL-Sound-Isolating-Earphones.jpg

The Westone tips are better for sound - the Shure is shown with the decent foam tip it comes with but the longer Westone tips give a better seal and better attenuation.

truefit-10pk-red.jpg
and are better value than the Comply which are good but $$

If you read his post he stated his helmet does not have the cutouts for the speakers, they are behind the liner.
It depends what you are looking for, if you want to pretend you are in your house and block all noises to be totally immersed in whatever you are listening to then your setup works for that.

What's the prices for the earphones you mentioned above?

I'm considering using earplugs instead of the stock speakers as wind noise is driving me crazy so I figured wearing earplugs will help me hear my phone calls better at high speeds and at the same time protect my hearing alittle since it is an in ear headphone.

I also have a sent 20s and I just use cheap ($20ish sony/panasonic) in ear sport headphones that wrap around the ear, I find these ones tend to stay on/in my ear better when putting on my helmet. this way if they break or I catch the wire on something I am not heartbroken and just grab another par from best buy or Walmart.

My question is if I plug in my headphones right in the front jack can I completely remove my speakers from the unit and helmet? Reason I ask is because I have heard the radio signal is based in the speaker cord and I do listen to radio alot. It would seem pointless to have the speakers in my helmet if I am using earplugs. Also where did you guys put the extra slack frm the earbuds?

Yes in the Sena 20s they do use the speakers and wires as the FM antenna. The headphones may work in the same fashion as well but unsure. I do know that you could keep your speakers in if you're worried about FM reception and plug the head phones in. The minute you plug the headphones in it overrides the audio playing through the speakers. I just tuck the excess cable down my shirt or jacket

... also.. pro tip.... if you want even more outside sound isolation, buy the cheap foam ear plugs, cut on win half, poke hole in the centre with pen cap, remove rubber cones from ear buds, pull your new ear plug pieces onto the earphones.... squish then insert.... works amazing...

[video=youtube;SVn_bgQyP9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVn_bgQyP9A[/video]

Last edited:
Works to a degree but likes to stay in your ear. Good tips are the same material but have a internal shaft that fits on the earphone tightly ( they are not universal ) so you can remove them.

I have the 20S. I'm using it with my old Etymotics in-ear earphones. The external speakers disconnect from the 20S and there is a supplied plug that is inserted in the speaker socket to seal it from the elements. I can still hear traffic with the Etymotics, it's not complete isolation, plus there is an ambient mode on the Sena if needed.

It depends what you are looking for, if you want to pretend you are in your house and block all noises to be totally immersed in whatever you are listening to then your setup works for that.

What's the prices for the earphones you mentioned above?

Attenuation is entirely under your control. If you want to listen to wind noise be my guest.
-33 db you can still hear things around you - they just sound more distant and your ears are not clamped down.
-26 as good earphones are offer much more ambient noise for whatever good that does you. It's tough to get high attenuation with the nature of an earphone.

At highway speeds you will find that wind noise is well over 100 db, even when wearing a helmet! Wearing a helmet cuts the noise by only about 3 db, and then only if it is at least a 3/4 shell and properly fitted. (An improperly fitted helmet actually INCREASES wind noise!!!) ONE HOUR of exposure to 110 db will damage your hearing. At 115 db it takes only 15 MINUTES. The damage is relentless, irreversible, and cumulative.

Knocking that down 26 dB just keeps it below the 90 db damage level.

Decibel-Table.jpg

We can see by the OSHA chart that exposure to 85 dB over eight hours is considered “acceptable” for most people in the workplace. However, a speed of 55 mph produces 90dB. How many hours do we ride at 55? Tell the truth.
If we up the ante to a more reasonable pace, say, 75-80 mph, we subject ourselves to approximately 105 dB wind noise. OSHA recommends exposure at that level be limited to one hour. Does that sound like fun on a long trip? Nope. So, what can we do?
Well, that’s easy. Attenuation, my friends.

The ubiquitous “foamie” earplug is popular due to cost and availability. Foamies work well and are capable of 20-30 dB attenuation. However, failure to properly insert them can reduce their effectiveness by 20 dB or more.

more
http://ridermagazine.com/2011/05/13/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists/

Variations between helmets at speed is minor - 1 db....so to get to the safe at speed zone ..you need to attenuate

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

Studies also show that high dB levels are fatiguing.
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/the-dangers-of-noise-fatigue/#.V6qUHmWyhZ8

There is a reason pilots wear those high attenuation earphones ....unfortunately they don't fit inside a helmet. ANR tech is just starting to emerge for motorcycles.

The helmets make little difference, choice of ear plug or earphone does. If you understand the goals and how your hearing actually works you can make ...ahem ..."sound" choices.

•••

prices for the Shures run $100 ish ....
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8

UltimateEar 600s around $60 on sale.

They go on up and up from there -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIUGW6A

most of these are designed to protect musicians hearing. Etymotic is another brand to consider.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input. I tried to use use my earphones with the speakers still in and it was really uncomfortable and would rip right out when i took my helmet off so that's a for sure no. I am considering the Shures but it still also looks like it sticks out the ear alittle which won't work for my helmet as it's a tight fit (as helmets should be). When i put earplugs in, the earplugs are completely flush with my ear.

It takes some work to get them flush but they will. Guy I got the tip from wears FF. Trick with a tight helmet is to do one ear then the other as you put the helmet on. You do need to pull the helmet open with the strap.
My AFX currently configured has the bar in place and is easy to flex open a tad and I can pull it straight on with the Shure

2014-AFX-FX-55-Helmet-Pearl-White-635300817795780053.jpg

You will find an Oxford thin Balaclava make on and off much easier.

I find getting the cord pinched behind the ear annoying at times. They are very flat in the year once you get them inserted and oriented correctly.

img_0106.jpg

You are going to catch cartilage long before you touch the earphones.

Etymotics fit very tight into the ear as well. So do the Klipsch but the Klipsch do not have replaceable bits.

Back
Top Bottom