2016-08-07 Leamington - Pedestrians hit - one dead, one critical, one minor injuries | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016-08-07 Leamington - Pedestrians hit - one dead, one critical, one minor injuries

griff2

Banned
One person dead, another critically injured after motorcycle hits three pedestrians in Leamington

DALSON CHEN, WINDSOR STAR
More from Dalson Chen, Windsor Star

Published on: August 8, 2016 | Last Updated: August 8, 2016 6:44 PM EDT
fullsizerender2.jpg
Fraser Road in Leamington, Ont. is pictured on Aug. 8, 2016. One person was killed and another was critically injured after a motorcyclist struck three pedestrians on Aug. 7, 2016.

OPP are investigating a fatal collision between a motorcycle and three pedestrians in Leamington on Sunday night.

The incident occurred around 9:35 p.m. on Fraser Road between Seacliff Drive West and Erie View Road.

One pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two other pedestrians were taken to area hospitals — one with life-threatening injuries and the other with minor injuries.

Fraser Road in Leamington remained closed for several hours while the OPP technical traffic collision investigator probed the crash.

Police said the motorcycle was southbound.

Located in the southernmost area of the county, the section of Fraser Road where the incident took place is a quiet rural residential road with no sidewalks and no street lights. There are occasional homes and greenhouses.

The posted speed limit is 60 km/h.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/one-dead-after-motorcycle-hits-three-pedestrians-in-leamington

wow, that doesn't happen often. RIP and GWS to those involved. The article makes no mention of the condition of the rider.

RIP & GWS

Arguably this one should almost be stickied for all those who go on saying "It's my life...if I crash it only affects me" or "why is insurance so much when my bike is only worth xxx"...

It's hard to imagine such a thing happening. Very bizarre.

RIP & GWS pedestrians.

It's hard to imagine such a thing happening. Very bizarre.

RIP & GWS pedestrians.

Article said the street had no sidewalks, so both were on the road at the same time. Like always, should wait for the police report, but I can't see how at close to 60 the rider wouldn't have seen them, unless target fixation was involved.

Pedestrians (and bicyclists) can change direction in an instant and they don't always look or think before doing so. Oncoming traffic can remove an option for the rider to use that lane. At this point, who knows. RIP and GWS to those involved.

RIP & GWS

Arguably this one should almost be stickied for all those who go on saying "It's my life...if I crash it only affects me" or "why is insurance so much when my bike is only worth xxx"...

Unless I misunderstand you, it seems a little premature to say that. People walking along the shoulder could easily, with one step, begin to move across the road not knowing a vehicle was approaching if they didn't look first. Perhaps they were "walking distracted", doing that stupid Pokemon thing or texting each other etc. Sadly, there will probably be very little if any follow-up to this and it will just be assumed to be the motorcyclist's fault.

Unless I misunderstand you, it seems a little premature to say that. People walking along the shoulder could easily, with one step, begin to move across the road not knowing a vehicle was approaching if they didn't look first. Perhaps they were "walking distracted", doing that stupid Pokemon thing or texting each other etc. Sadly, there will probably be very little if any follow-up to this and it will just be assumed to be the motorcyclist's fault.

Pedestrians are for the most part brain dead. They spread across whatever pavement they are on as much as possible. People don't normally walk on the shoulder, they walk a few feet from the right edge of the pavement (assuming one person, assuming a group, put the rightmost person at that position). Once you start putting pedestrians there to start, they could jump left to try to avoid the bike as that shoulder is closer, if some go right and some go left a crash is almost inevitable.

Pedestrians (and bicyclists) [and motorcyclists] can change direction in an instant and they don't always look or think before doing so. Oncoming traffic can remove an option for the rider to use that lane. At this point, who knows. RIP and GWS to those involved.
fify Many people completely forget about the option to slow down or stop until it's too late. As someone else said, we don't know what happened, or even if the motorcyclist was injured or fell. Therefore, I'm not certain that this belongs in fallen riders.

Like I said...I'll wait for the police report (if there is one) before any real form of judgement. That said, I definitely don't deny most pedestrians these days are brain dead, but even if there was a car coming the other way or the pedestrians spread out, you would be going too fast for that section of road if you couldn't react in time...somehow. Rule #1 is pretty much always leave yourself enough room for an 'out' no matter what could be up ahead, especially since 9 times out of 10 we need to watch both for ourselves and for the 'other guy'.

I'd have to say there is probably a higher chance the bike was going fast enough there was no time to react for either party, but given it is 2016 who knows...pedestrians might have stepped out to catch a pokemon on the other side of the road (sadly). Looking at that section of road on Google Maps, it appears to be 100% straight, light residential, so potentially it could have been people crossing without looking (or thinking the bike was much further away than it was).

Last edited:
The Ontario Provincial Police have identified the pedestrian killed in a fatal crash involving a motorcycle on Aug. 7 on Fraser Road in Leamington.

Police have completed their investigation and identified the deceased as Hector Gonzalez, 41, from Mexico.

The other two pedestrians involved and the motorcyclist received non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The incident occurred around 9:35 p.m. on Fraser Road between Seacliff Drive West and Erie View Road.

Police said that no charges would be laid.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/opp-identify-pedestrian-killed-in-a-motorcycle-collision

Back
Top Bottom