Getting insurance with a .05 BAC suspension on record | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting insurance with a .05 BAC suspension on record

naughtme

In October 2013 (while driving a car) I was stopped at a RIDE checkpoint and given a 3-day suspension for blowing in the "warn range". One of the biggest ****-ups of my life and believe me I'm still kicking myself to this day for being such a moron. I'm much more responsible alcohol and driving now - I abstain or have one small drink if I have to drive.

I'm looking to get a motorcycle this coming spring (I got my M2 in 2014 but never got a bike). I will have my full M license by then.

I'm confused about how this will affect my rates. I know that insurance companies in Ontario can't use suspensions of less than a year to adjust rates, but can they jack up my initial price if I'm a new customer? I assume I have to disclose when they ask me if I've ever been suspended since they'll be able to see it on my abstract.

Other than that, my driving record is clean, I'm in my early 30's and I've had a G license for over 15 years.

The only thing to do is call around now and get quotes. You don't need to actually have your license and a bike to do so, but you'll need a bike in mind. Based on your issue, you'll want to pick something small - consider the 250 range if you're thinking sport bike, or the 600 and below range if a cruiser. Cruisers will be generally cheaper overall.

Either way, don't be surprised to find that many insurers will either say that hey don't have a market for you (the polite way of saying we don't want your business), or quote you $1000/month (+) type rates. An alcohol related office on your license is going to be the kiss of death for motorcycle insurance.

Would they know it is an alcohol-related suspension though, unless the customer actively tells them? I would suspect the suspension would show, but not the reason...same as how they can see a ticket, but can't directly tell if it was 10 over or 20 over. Granted I can't think of any other reason for a suspension, besides going 50 over and invoking 172, which would be viewed the same or worse by an insurer.

You know what, conundrum may be right, I eat my words. Possibly.

In looking at it more it seems that the three day BAC suspension is purely administrative, same sort of suspension that happens if you don't renew your drivers license in time for example – it will show on your record but it won't effect your rates.

Additionally, if I recall correctly insurance companies only look at the three-year abstract so far as infractions, so it will be falling off your record this fall anyways.

The only possible issue that remains is if they ask you directly if you have had any BAC related suspensions beyond those three years – if so, you are pretty much obligated to answer honestly, and they may certainly take that into consideration.

Interesting situation.

You know what, conundrum may be right, I eat my words. Possibly.

In looking at it more it seems that the three day BAC suspension is purely administrative, same sort of suspension that happens if you don't renew your drivers license in time for example – it will show on your record but it won't effect your rates.

Additionally, if I recall correctly insurance companies only look at the three-year abstract so far as infractions, so it will be falling off your record this fall anyways.

The only possible issue that remains is if they ask you directly if you have had any BAC related suspensions beyond those three years – if so, you are pretty much obligated to answer honestly, and they may certainly take that into consideration.

Interesting situation.

Hi Private,

You are correct, it is an administrative suspension.

Administrative suspensions (less than a year) are not able to be rated against you.

Hope this helps.

That's certainly good news for the OP.

Paul, can you touch on the requirement to disclose on request, re the second part of my reply above? I only mention that because I do seem to remember seeing such a question on an insurance application in years past

That's certainly good news for the OP.

Paul, can you touch on the requirement to disclose on request, re the second part of my reply above? I only mention that because I do seem to remember seeing such a question on an insurance application in years past

This is correct.

Section 4 of the OAF 1 application for auto insurance, you are required to disclose any suspensions within the past 6 years on the application, and make notes of the suspension in the remarks section.

Thanks

Last edited:
Would they know it is an alcohol-related suspension though, unless the customer actively tells them? I would suspect the suspension would show, but not the reason...same as how they can see a ticket, but can't directly tell if it was 10 over or 20 over. Granted I can't think of any other reason for a suspension, besides going 50 over and invoking 172, which would be viewed the same or worse by an insurer.

this is right off my abstract so you get a better idea, its wasn't a warning range suspension but actual DUI, although I wasn't DUI, I got refusal to breathlyse which has the exact same implications pretty much...and yes they do get details and they do see the speed. When I had my warn range suspension it didn't say due to alcohol but when they see the three day suspension everyone knows what it is.

SUSPENDED UNTIL JUNE 27, 2015, ADLS SUSPENSION
SUSPENSION NO. 5755917
SUSPENDU JUSQU' AU 27 JUIN 2015, SUSPENSION ADLS
NO DE SUSPENSION 5755917

speeding...

SPEEDING 149 KMH IN 100 KMH ZONE
OFFENCE DATE 2013/05/26
EXCÈS VIT 149KMH DS ZONE 100KMH
DATE DE L'INFRACTION 2013/05/26

SPEEDING 79 KMH IN 50 KMH ZONE
OFFENCE DATE 2013/06/20
EXCÈS VIT 79KMH DS ZONE 50KMH
DATE DE L'INFRACTION 2013/06/20

HTA 172 suspension...

SUSPENDED UNTIL 03:09 PM ON JUNE 2, 2013, RACING CONTEST OR STUNT - ADMINISTRATIVE SUSPENSIONS SUSPENSION NO. 3761381
SUSPENDU JUSQU'À 15:09 HEURES, LE 2 JUIN 2013
POUR COURSE, CONCOURS OU MANOEUVRE PÉRILLEUSE - SUSPENSIONS ADMINISTRATIVES
NO DE SUSPENSION 3761381

best part...

CURRENT DEMERIT POINTS TOTAL
00​

This is correct.

Section 4 of the OAF 1 application for auto insurance, you are required to disclose any suspensions within the past 6 years on the application, and make notes of the suspension in the remarks section.

Thanks

Hey Paul - so I would be required to disclose both that I got suspended, and that it was for alcohol? In your experience, is it likely that I'll be refused insurance or given a really high rate if this is disclosed?

This is correct.

Sooooo.....likely *not* good news for the OP then.

Sooooo.....likely *not* good news for the OP then.

Kind of. Each company has their own rateable offences (some industry standard some not) that they have filed with FSCO. For example, we do not hold an administrative suspension against the insured. Usually what a suspension that is rated would have to be a suspension that would be at least a month. Since the OP says he didn't actually get a DUI that's good news.

Back
Top Bottom