Riding alone. Pros and cons. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding alone. Pros and cons.

I have typically always ridden alone with the exception being when I want to explore offroad -- and although I still do that alone sometimes, it is risky.

I can't imagine what I would do 20 or 30km up a hydro-line cut trail, alone, stuck up to my axles in mud or injured or what-have-you with no one to help out. Spot would help for the injured scenario, but I would not ping Spot for being stuck or a flat tire or something.

I've always ridden solo, I dont know many people that ride.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I travel alone 75% of the time and have almost always regretted the times I've let someone talk me into taking them along. I always get stuck with doing all the route planning, accommodation arrangements, leading on the road and basically all the responsibility -and all the criticism - too much highway - not enough highway - roads are too straight, too curvy, too hard, too easy - etc.

Anyway - I love travelling alone for other reasons. I like the connection I feel with my bike, the road and the countryside without the distraction of other riders. I agree with the point in the article that solo riders meet more people while travelling than in a group and I am never lonely on my trips.

I am aware of the increased risk in travelling alone, but I don't think its as much as some people imagine. I have my bike inspected and serviced before a big trip - I leave an itinerary, check in with my family at the end of the day and update if I change my plans.

In all my solo touring I only had one unnerving incident - in Colorado I pulled into a motel parking lot to ask at the office about vacancies and before I could park the bike, a half dozen scruffy looking men had come out of their motel rooms and were looking at me like I was meals on wheels - so I just kept rolling on - so a little common sense and trusting your instincts goes a long way.

I know a lot of riders (both men and women) who either prefer to ride alone or might like a companion, but wouldn't cancel their road trip because they couldn't find someone to ride with them - and no one I know has had bad experiences riding alone - at least in Canada and continental U.S.

I always get stuck with doing all the route planning, accommodation arrangements, leading on the road and basically all the responsibility

sounds like riding with my kid ....cept I also get half his luggage :D...

BUT he goes with the flow and only once in a while wants a particular "adventure" ( go karting etc, rafting etc ) and then does the homework for it.

He knows we like the same sort of roads and that I'll get him on as many twists as I can. The SENAs let me tell him to ride ahead for X km and wait....he can wind it out....I can play tourist and both content.

But yeah I hear you....detest leading ....no win situation usually cept maybe for first time in PA ...then it's fun to hear the whoops after a good section.
Having kid that rides and a staff that rides ....there is opportunity at times for two of us on a jaunt but I do like up at dawn and on the highway south or north.....Nexus makes border a non-issue and then go where the wind blows. Border becomes almost transparent as far as stress goes.

Even take a Rip Van Winkle break along a pretty portion of 144 at Cherry Springs....such a nice nap :D Joys of solo.

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-08-31%2520at%2520Aug%252C%252031%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25205.46.33%2520PM.jpg

Last edited:
I like touring solo because it forces you to meet new people. Except in Quebec.

I like touring solo because it forces you to meet new people. Except in Quebec.

It can depend on where in PQ. Decades ago I, along with a co-worker did some service work in the Eastern Townships and although we couldn't speak French and they couldn't speak English we got along great.

The prospect of my half dead body being devoured by wolves in some deep ditch, out of sight, doesn't appeal to me. That's why on longer rides I always have someone with me. ;)

They say vultures peck at your eyes first to make sure you're dead. Any soloists converting?

I do most of my long distance touring alone (4 to 7 days). For me its all about the route not the destination. I really like the ability to just turn left because I want to go down a road not yet travelled. Married 27 years, wife and I are fine to go our own ways for several days. Comfortable to be on my own for several days although I have never had a problem striking up a conversation at the bar after a day of riding. Met many really interesting people.
With today's modern motorcycles not much to worry about mechanically if you keep your bike well maintained. I have had one mechanical failure (tire) and CAA/AAA came to the rescue.

Most of my riding this year has been with my daughter.Life is good!
P3200255_zpsmypl1syt.jpg

There is nothing like riding multi-day vacations with a loved one. Those that have not done it may not understand, those that have would not trade it for anything in the world.

There is nothing like riding multi-day vacations with a loved one. Those that have not done it may not understand, those that have would not trade it for anything in the world.

last time I did a multi day ride with the wife on the back was in Thailand, she attempted to navigate with a paper map.................3 day ride almost ended in divorce

Thailand's not even that big.

I always get stuck with doing all the route planning, accommodation arrangements, leading on the road and basically all the responsibility -and all the criticism - too much highway - not enough highway - roads are too straight, too curvy, too hard, too easy - etc.

I know the feeling, I ride solo to new destination but like to ride with a group to revisit places I've ridden before. I would like to experience being toured for once :).

I won't ride alone anymore as long as I have my dog around, best passenger to have. Only problem is finding meal stops with patio that allows dogs.

Back
Top Bottom