The Mandarin | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Mandarin

Back when I used to eat garbage, I'd have a 5 plate minimum there. Good times.

Lightweight smh
5 plates is an appetizer
I once went with the sole intention of just eating chicken balls. I stopped counting at around 200.
Good times.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

An old GF's mother was in town visiting about 15 years ago. She wanted to go to the Mandarin for dinner while she was here, so we took her to the one in Burlington. There was a fat family of four next to us when we sat down. Pops had to be pushing 350, mom 250ish. Hell, both their children weighed more than me. When we got there they has nothing but a huge plate of crab legs in the middle of the table that they were doing a feeding frenzy on. They kept going back and filling the plate up while we ate. Still at it when we got up to leave, at the same frenzied pace. It was like watching a train wreck. You don't want to look, but it's just too amazing not to.

I knew people that would only go for the crab leg festival. I pretty much avoided it...people picking through the legs with their hands trying to get the claws.

Bit of a tangent, but I've always wondered how well the Mandarin in Markham actually does...you'd think given the location business wouldn't be that good, as there are better options around, and the fact that 90% of my Chinese friends (either born here or originally from HK) always said they wouldn't be caught dead eating there.

and the fact that 90% of my Chinese friends (either born here or originally from HK) always said they wouldn't be caught dead eating there.

The food there doesn't have much in common with real Asian food. Asians tend to eat very light, large quantitys of chicken balls or pork smothered in sugar based sauce is an American invention. It's sort of like Italian pizza versus Chicago pizza, one is a small meal, the other a family sized casserole.

The food there doesn't have much in common with real Asian food. Asians tend to eat very light, large quantitys of chicken balls or pork smothered in sugar based sauce is an American invention. It's sort of like Italian pizza versus Chicago pizza, one is a small meal, the other a family sized casserole.
This is so true. I've been to a few fundraisers with traditional Chinese food. The first time, I was surprised. But that was some damn good eats.
Bit of a tangent, but I've always wondered how well the Mandarin in Markham actually does...you'd think given the location business wouldn't be that good, as there are better options around, and the fact that 90% of my Chinese friends (either born here or originally from HK) always said they wouldn't be caught dead eating there.
They say that, but I've seen many Asians in there. Same as all the Italian restaurants here in da 'bridge. They do well. There will always be people that don't want to cook.

Mandarin is catered to the white folks. The menu is something non Asian would enjoy.

Like me going to an Italian restaurant. If I see alot of Italianos in there I know it will be authentic. If not, I know it's for tourists

and the fact that 90% of my Chinese friends (either born here or originally from HK) always said they wouldn't be caught dead eating there.

Judging by all the buses, and determined but happy people egressing from same, these friends have no problem with St Jacobs Farmers Market.

Asian people aren't in the Mandarin for the Chinese food. They are there for the All-You-Can-Eat deal.

A place could be serving any kind of food, but if it's AYCE, you'll see Asian people there.
Very good point.
I am also there for the AYCE.

Asian people aren't in the Mandarin for the Chinese food. They are there for the All-You-Can-Eat deal.

A place could be serving any kind of food, but if it's AYCE, you'll see Asian people there.
You'll probably see all types there - cheapness don't discriminate.

I like Mandarin twice a year. Its deep fried everything and thats not usually good for me

Same! I used to be a 320lb giant in high school, used to go there with friends every opportunity to pig out.

Then I went vegan and the rest is history...

As for AYCE, I now stick to sushi places with more than several veg options. Someone needs to get working on a vegan AYCE place so I can be fat again.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;KtkpTrvwQ6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtkpTrvwQ6c[/video]

Canada Day attracts all types

[video=youtube;MWwwa7vg8Us]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWwwa7vg8Us[/video]

Back
Top Bottom