Is this the end for BlackBerry? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this the end for BlackBerry?

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-files-105-page-patent-lawsuit-against-avaya/

They no longer innovate, they're now litigating. Just like SCO did when they started suing everyone with pockets that used linux (including their own customers).

RIP BlackBerry. While I'm not a fan of their products, I do like to see competition in the market place. In the smartphone market only Apple and Samsung make money on the hardware, some of the other manufacturers like sony and lg have other products that bring up their profits and not making a huge profit doesn't mean the end of the company. RIM only has the their automotive (not sure how many manufacturer's are using them), phone hardware (with some patents) and some software and I think some people have lost trust in the company with the fact that they allow governments access to their backend servers to spy on the people using the RIM servers to communicate. Since moving to android there isn't really anything to differentiate their phones from any of the other android phones other than the phones with a keyboard for the people that have to have a physical keyboard.

Hopefully this isn't the end of BlackBerry, though I can see them dropping phones all together and focusing on money making things, maybe they can get into the home automation market like nest, get themselves into fridges, stoves, thermostats and light fixtures.

Their software division grew by $166 million in last quarter. They're gonna be just fine as a company.

Hardware division? Not so much, but I do think their strategy is on the right track. Most secure Android phones in the world are made by BlackBerry and it starts right at the manufacturing process. Not just software.

Sent from my Passport

Last edited:
People need to get over their addiction to "smart phones." Worst invention ever.

Last edited:
I had a bold till the bitter end. I only upgraded to android for wireless control of my gopro.. still rocking my Note 2 much to the dismay of my provider, who is constantly trying to convince me my life will be immeasurably better with a new phone lol

Well played CG.

Wiserhood.jpg

Of course it's the end, they've been circling the toilet for a few years now. The flush is coming.

The Priv is a solid phone - Everyone in my company just got one.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-files-105-page-patent-lawsuit-against-avaya/ They no longer innovate, they're now litigating. Just like SCO did when they started suing everyone with pockets that used linux (including their own customers). RIP BlackBerry. While I'm not a fan of their products, I do like to see competition in the market place. In the smartphone market only Apple and Samsung make money on the hardware, some of the other manufacturers like sony and lg have other products that bring up their profits and not making a huge profit doesn't mean the end of the company. RIM only has the their automotive (not sure how many manufacturer's are using them), phone hardware (with some patents) and some software and I think some people have lost trust in the company with the fact that they allow governments access to their backend servers to spy on the people using the RIM servers to communicate. Since moving to android there isn't really anything to differentiate their phones from any of the other android phones other than the phones with a keyboard for the people that have to have a physical keyboard. Hopefully this isn't the end of BlackBerry, though I can see them dropping phones all together and focusing on money making things, maybe they can get into the home automation market like nest, get themselves into fridges, stoves, thermostats and light fixtures.
So you're against patent rights? Every large innovative company has to protect their patents at some point, unless they release them to everyone.

Engaget reports on patent law suits every Friday. This is nothing new on the tech world, they all sue each other constantly and most times they do it rightfully so.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wouldn't read too much into that. I work for Cisco and we have hundreds of patent law suits going on at any given time. We did around 50 billion last year and a large percentage of that was from patent royalties.

Blackberry would be mad to allow competition to use their inventions for free.

The company that does this really well is Qualcomm. They did 20 billion last year mostly through patent royalties with a very small percentage from chip sales.

I think since the first iPhone . I have heard bb is dead . Yet they are still around .

Lately Apple sales have been tanking under pressure from Samsung.

I hope Blackberry sticks around. The phones they make are high quality and they do pretty much anything important the other phones do. Nobody is going to make much money on hardware in the future because the market is saturated. A phone is a phone, there's only so much you're going to want to do with it.

There's no one thing that marks the end but historians will probably look back and decide the market failure of BB10 was the tipping point that put an end to Blackberry cell phones.

QNX seems to still be a very big deal for them but it's not a consumer product so it's not as 'prestigious' a success.

I don't know, I think switching to android OS is a smart move, maybe too late? don't know.

Solid phone this thing is, I can even run kodi on it faster than my tv. It's 11:25pm and i'm at 45% battery after a full day of heavy use including waze which is a battery killer

There's no one thing that marks the end but historians will probably look back and decide the market failure of BB10 was the tipping point that put an end to Blackberry cell phones.

QNX seems to still be a very big deal for them but it's not a consumer product so it's not as 'prestigious' a success.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're dead (on life support maybe). My point is we're living it so our judgement is clouded by the immediacy of events when something like a brand's growth/death happens over a decade or more.

Still looking forward to the next BB10 update. This is the longest stretch I've had the same phone and I see no reason to replace it anytime soon. BB for communicating, iPad for fun.

I hope that they do stick around still and going with the Android OS will keep them afloat. I've always liked their phones, and I do like the Z30, but the DTEK50 seems like my next step. Only issue for the Z30 is the completely limited app support...sure it helps a bit with the Amazon App Store where I get some apps...but limited. I saw ways of changing the Z30 to Android but it seems very limited and finicky so not worth the effort. Hell I still have my old BB Bold lying around the house as my emergency/travel phone...wish more manufacturers had dual sim :(

People need to get over their addiction to "smart phones." Worst invention ever.

I disagree with this statement....problem isn't the smart phone, it's the people that are addicted. Great tools when used properly.

The long lasting battery is the next market that needs growth imo.
Also totally considering going back to BB for the physical keyboard/slider. I hate only seeing half a screen. And typod.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom