A Wristband to Save You From Speeding Tickets? - YouMotorcycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Wristband to Save You From Speeding Tickets? - YouMotorcycle

Map my walk, fitbit, smart watches. etc. Although they would rather which stores you go to and how often.

as a person who got a ticket on the 401 near brighton for 116 clicks...
when i asked the officer if they could reduce the ticket a couple clicks so i don't get any demerit points and got a haughty, even angry NO! for an answer...
it was a ridiculous situation, almost every vehicle (little traffic late morning time) was getting waved over at the radar speed trap manned by a "team" of officers. I literally had to stand in line for about 10 minutes to get my ticket there was so many cars being pulled over...no joke.
I have to say I like this device.

ex coppers or such had it reduced to 12 clicks over ...for a price

Dude you could have went to the crown yourself and got it reduced, ex coppers didn't do anything you couldnt have done.. with that said I am assuming you rarely get speeding tickets or you would have known that!

as a person who got a ticket on the 401 near brighton for 116 clicks...
when i asked the officer if they could reduce the ticket a couple clicks so i don't get any demerit points and got a haughty, even angry NO! for an answer...
it was a ridiculous situation, almost every vehicle (little traffic late morning time) was getting waved over at the radar speed trap manned by a "team" of officers. I literally had to stand in line for about 10 minutes to get my ticket there was so many cars being pulled over...no joke.
I have to say I like this device.

ex coppers or such had it reduced to 12 clicks over ...for a price

*** Not a lawyer ***

As long as you don't have to swerve to avoid them they would have a pretty hard time proving that you saw and ignored em.

One of those situations where unless you talk yourself to jail you can just keep on trucking. Make those fat f***ers get in the car and throw the cherries on if they want their money.

Dude you could have went to the crown yourself and got it reduced, ex coppers didn't do anything you couldnt have done.. with that said I am assuming you rarely get speeding tickets or you would have known that!

i lived 300 km's away from brighton, hired ex coppers in my home town and they took care of it. wasn't worth the 600km round trip. apparently every person has the right to see the km's number on the radar if they request it - i didn't but should have given how busy they were. perhaps it would have put a damper on the money grab.

So the paralegals reduced it by 4kph? I hope they didn't charge you much

if i recall correctly it was $200 cash all in. seemed almost shady...
this guy was actually an ex cop, big gold rings and watch. first thing he asked me if i was confrontational, gave the cop a hard time or called the cop an *** or such. if you do-the cop may refuse the reduction and it will cost you more if someone has to show up in court. generally they just call the cop and ask for a reduction. done.

Last edited:
*** Not a lawyer ***

As long as you don't have to swerve to avoid them they would have a pretty hard time proving that you saw and ignored em.

One of those situations where unless you talk yourself to jail you can just keep on trucking. Make those fat f***ers get in the car and throw the cherries on if they want their money.

there were a lot of cops there. it was very clear they wanted me to pull over. wasn't looking for more trouble, their big enough ***** without annoying them.

I still don't understand why people really argue a reduction like that...for insurance, points don't matter, just the fact it is either a minor or a major infraction does...so unless it was a 50 over (non-172) lowered to 40 over, or can be thrown out entirely, it will have the same long term impact.

The only time points really matter is if you have enough you are at risk of actually losing your license....if that is the case (which I doubt), then you really need to evaluate if you should still be on the road.

I had just recently got a 20 over ticket. I wanted to keep a good buffer zone with my points. got two tickets months apart. didn't have a ticket for 10? years previous.

Sounds like more money to spend on something you don't really need. We've come this far without this device. Has Canada really become such a nanny state? Apparently Canada is one of the countries with the most speed traps in the world....so I've been told.

Waze isnt foolproof but it works fairly well for this in my experience.

Its alerts also come thru my Sena, so this isnt needed.

if i recall correctly it was $200 cash all in. seemed almost shady...
this guy was actually an ex cop, big gold rings and watch. first thing he asked me if i was confrontational, gave the cop a hard time or called the cop an *** or such. if you do-the cop may refuse the reduction and it will cost you more if someone has to show up in court. generally they just call the cop and ask for a reduction. done.

I'd be asking that wondering how you got a ticket for 115 on a 400 series haha...

But seriously, I feel for ya. That kinda bs is why they keep the limit where it is. The 85th percentile feels safe at something like 120-130, and drive there 99.9% of the time without hassle. Then when the ticket numbers are down the cops can have one of their group fishing expeditions and bring in the guaranteed $$$. This IS the biggest reason police advocate for no increase in speed limits imho. If raised to 130, even with a zero tolerance for violation + photo radar, they'd still bring in less than they do now.

Unlike a few others, I think you dealt with the situation in a manner which made the most sense for your set of circumstances at the time.

Just one clarification, it is the officer's discretion to show you the radar reading, (although in a situation such as the one your describing it would have been one perhaps two radar operators who simply radioed your reading and vehicle description to the officers making the actual stop, then the radar op clears the reading and continues to clock vehicles. There has,to my knowledge), never been a court ruling, (at least a precedent setting one), which compels the officer to show the reading to the accused. In 99% of the cases, (when I ran radar), no one ever requested to see it, of the 1% that did ask, (if it was reasonable, IE not a busy road with traffic that could endanger us being roadside), I would gladly show it to them.

In many cases such as you have described, (several officers at one enforcement point), it is usually a case of a supervisor or even detachment commander has gotten complaints of excessive speed, so they put out an order for a "blitz". Although having said that it is normally NOT done on a 400 series highway. The reasoning being if the locals see the enforcement it will, (at least for a few days), result in lowered speeds along that stretch. I agree the 100 km/h limit on 401 along Brighton, (former in laws live in the area), is ludicrous. I wholeheartedly agree in "rural areas" the limit should be 120. In the GTA leave it at 100, (we know there are many "new drivers" who shouldn't even be on the highway let alone doing 120). If you go to the USA you will see on interstates the limit is 65 or even 70, in some states, in outlying areas and then drops to 55 MPH in urban areas.

i lived 300 km's away from brighton, hired ex coppers in my home town and they took care of it. wasn't worth the 600km round trip. apparently every person has the right to see the km's number on the radar if they request it - i didn't but should have given how busy they were. perhaps it would have put a damper on the money grab.

Waze.....

....alerts also come thru my Sena, so this isnt needed.

Makes sense. The whole thing that I gathered was that you don't have to be looking at an app/ device while riding. But obviously that is already been taken care of.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

How do you have it set up to do that? Is it just running in the background with background refresh turned on?

Yup, phone in pocket with Waze running in background.

I'll have to give that a shot...does using Siri for things cause any issue with it crashing? Also not sure how badly it would suck the life out of the battery in my 5s (starting to have issues with it...but it should last until the 7 comes out).

I agree the 100 km/h limit on 401 along Brighton, (former in laws live in the area), is ludicrous. I wholeheartedly agree in "rural areas" the limit should be 120. In the GTA leave it at 100, (we know there are many "new drivers" who shouldn't even be on the highway let alone doing 120). If you go to the USA you will see on interstates the limit is 65 or even 70, in some states, in outlying areas and then drops to 55 MPH in urban areas.

Glad to see a former officer admit to that vs saying the usual party line. That said, personally I'd still like to see 120 in city centres and maybe even 130-140 once you start seeing "onRoute in xxx km" notices. Of course, that would also come with stricter enforcement if anyone was going higher than the 'new' speeds.

Just bugs me how the unofficial speed limit is around 120km/h, yet if a cop wants, they can tag you with 20 over for essentially doing the unwritten limit. Same could be said too for northern roads with a limit of 80, but you'll get run over if doing any less than 95-100. The 35 at the end of the 115 definitely comes to mind, as do some of the 60-80 zones further north where you are more likely to see a bear than another car or human being.

Honestly, I think the whole system needs a re-think, but I know that is never going to happen. The whole 85th percentile thing makes sense to me, vs 60 on a twisty road up north and 50 where kids might be playing on the street. Too bad we couldn't make all parties happy by dropping actual residential to 30-40km/h, keeping commercial at 50-60km/h (or higher, depending on density and number of lanes), and raising limits to at least 120 on highways and above 80 in places further and further away from civilization (with clear sight lines/lacking blind corners).

Last edited:
I'll have to give that a shot...does using Siri for things cause any issue with it crashing? Also not sure how badly it would suck the life out of the battery in my 5s (starting to have issues with it...but it should last until the 7 comes out).

Using Siri is not an issue. But on longer trips, Waze tends to suspend itself after a while. Seems to be an intentional "feature".

Battery usage is not bad at all while the phone is locked but keep in mind that I'm a commuter. I don't do long-distance trips.

That's what I thought when I was about 400 km out of town. So many hours behind the wheel I was fading, just trying to get to the camp site before darkness rolled in. Well, I completely missed a 60 km/hr begins sign. I was still doing 112 km/hr (given that I thought I was still on a 100 km/hr road). Similar to other users have mentioned, I got mobbed by a gang of OPP. They had 2 cruisers, 2 suvs, and 2 Harleys pulling people over. Tourist tax.

No one had reported it on Waze. So I did. It was too late for the half dozen cars I saw getting pulled over for the half hour I was there (didn't get booked for stunting though!), and within the next hour I had 20 thank yous.

Moral of the story, there's always those first suckers who gotta pay the price, before someone thinks to report it on Waze...

Back
Top Bottom