A Wristband to Save You From Speeding Tickets? - YouMotorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Wristband to Save You From Speeding Tickets? - YouMotorcycle

My motorcycle came with a built in device to save me from speeding tickets; a speedometer.

My motorcycle came with a built in device to save me from speeding tickets; a speedometer.
My anti-speeding device is that fact that I ride a Shadow. Plus, y'know, fat guy.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

If, 25 years ago, you told people that one day they would wear/carry tracking devices that lets the government know where they are and what they are doing at all times, they wouldn't have believed you. And if you tried to tell them that people would pay hundreds of their own dollars for this privilege, they would laugh in your face.

Funny, isn't it.

Waze. Facebook mobile. Uber. Pokemon Go.

Based on the video, the app only locates fixed photo radar cameras. Great for touring in Europe but pretty useless in Ontario. If it was linked to an app that actually tracks mobile radar traps in real time, then I may be interested.

Waze is pretty good for indicating awaiting police cars - my wife runs waze when we're driving somewhere. I'm assuming this thing would indicate whatever Waze alerts-on...

My anti-speeding device is that fact that I ride a Shadow. Plus, y'know, fat guy.

Fat? I thought it was ice-cream challenged? I'm more of a pastry challenged person myself.

That tattooed arm on the site looks suspiciously disembodied. Some weirdo will probably wear it on his knob and intentionally speed everywhere.

as a person who got a ticket on the 401 near brighton for 116 clicks...
when i asked the officer if they could reduce the ticket a couple clicks so i don't get any demerit points and got a haughty, even angry NO! for an answer...
it was a ridiculous situation, almost every vehicle (little traffic late morning time) was getting waved over at the radar speed trap manned by a "team" of officers. I literally had to stand in line for about 10 minutes to get my ticket there was so many cars being pulled over...no joke.
I have to say I like this device.

ex coppers or such had it reduced to 12 clicks over ...for a price

Last edited:
We live in a province where radar detectors are illegal.
How long do you think it will be before this device is banned?

The write up says that it is perfectly legal, and iirc, You Motorcycle is Toronto based. But I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Someone will dig up the law lingo (not me) ... what exactly is considered a "radar detector" (besides an obvious external device sitting on your dash) ... a phone with and app on it? I am not sure, but I can see how this could sell well, especially in the speeding ticket-hungry Ontario ... LOL

But it will only be as good as someone puts an alert on a service like Waze ... which is probably what this app is relying on anyways. The app/phone is not detecting anything .... Someone with a wristwatch can get the same, I am sure.

If, 25 years ago, you told people that one day they would wear/carry tracking devices that lets the government know where they are and what they are doing at all times, they wouldn't have believed you. And if you tried to tell them that people would pay hundreds of their own dollars for this privilege, they would laugh in your face.

Funny, isn't it.

Waze. Facebook mobile. Uber. Pokemon Go.
You forgot Google Maps. Just found the feature where you can see everywhere Google knows you've been last month. Scary that I can just randomly pick a day on a calendar from any time in the last 3 years and it will show me a map of everywhere I've been, stores I stopped at, whether I walked or drove, etc.

Waze does the same thing and has been around for like a decade.

when i asked the officer if they could reduce the ticket a couple clicks so i don't get any demerit points and got a haughty, even angry NO! for an answer...
it was a ridiculous situation, almost every vehicle (little traffic late morning time) was getting waved over at the radar speed trap manned by a "team" of officers. I literally had to stand in line for about 10 minutes to get my ticket there was so many cars being pulled over...no joke.

I still don't understand why people really argue a reduction like that...for insurance, points don't matter, just the fact it is either a minor or a major infraction does...so unless it was a 50 over (non-172) lowered to 40 over, or can be thrown out entirely, it will have the same long term impact.

The only time points really matter is if you have enough you are at risk of actually losing your license....if that is the case (which I doubt), then you really need to evaluate if you should still be on the road.

So the paralegals reduced it by 4kph? I hope they didn't charge you much

If Waze relies on users to report radar locations, then in my mind its worse than useless. You watch out where you think you should, but it gives a false confidence to be less vigilant anywhere else that doesn't have a warning on the app. Now if there was an app that tracked the GPS signal off every cop car, showed them within a 10 k radius of your location and gave you a warning when you were within 2 k, that would be a useful service.

Note that this would still not be a "radar detector" as it would detect a GPS signal and not radar.

Waze = radar detector device?? I don't think that is a correct statement.
I never said it was.
This device isn't a radar detector.
Exactly.
If Waze relies on users to report radar locations, then in my mind its worse than useless. You watch out where you think you should, but it gives a false confidence to be less vigilant anywhere else that doesn't have a warning on the app. Now if there was an app that tracked the GPS signal off every cop car, showed them within a 10 k radius of your location and gave you a warning when you were within 2 k, that would be a useful service.

Note that this would still not be a "radar detector" as it would detect a GPS signal and not radar.
Well tons of people seem to love it. That's just one of its features. I think of it just as an extra layer of protection. It doesn't work good enough to depend on. You can't just ride/drive like a maniac and expect it to keep you safe. But if it saves you from one ticket every couple of years, why not use it over something else? Plus there are other features that make it appealing. I have 3 different GPS apps on my phone so I just use whatever I feel like or what works best in a specific situation.

Back
Top Bottom