Z1 Cycletech/Tuning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Z1 Cycletech/Tuning

TiburonJA

*RANT WARNING*

I've been infrequently using these guys for the past 4 years (back when they were up in thornhill and I stuck with them even though they moved) they worked on my 250 and for the most part I was pleased with the work. There was one incident but I gave em the benefit of the doubt and chalked it up to someone simply making a mistake, they were nice enough to pick me up and fix the problem at no charge.

Fast forward to this season, got a new bike and ended up going to ACE MOTO and being blown away by how great Adrian was. I was planning to only go to him but due to his success you need to book like a month in advance (good for you guys!), so I decided to head over to Z1 and they said they'd be able to help me out no problem. Now, as a business owner myself I know it can be tempting to feel like you can do whatever you want but if you're in any type of service industry you really need to take your customers needs and wants into account and make them your priority. I went to drop off my bike on a Saturday and was told they would be open at 11, so I get there at 10:50 and waited but they didn't end up opening until 11:30. It honestly was no big deal since I didn't say I'd specifically be there at 11 and sometimes these things happen and you open a little late. I told em to give me a ring when the bike would be ready and I was simply told it would be ready on Tuesday morning, however due to my work schedule if I were to pick up the bike during the week it would have to be like practically as soon as they open (which is 10 on weekdays) since I need to make the trip all the way up near Aurora to get to work. I said please call to confirm the job is done because I can't come pick it up without confirmation. I never received a call until Tuesday around the afternoon saying it was "ready as promised" unfortunately I couldn't risk heading down without prior confirmation. I said I could get it on the weekend since I was now feeling a little uneasy about picking it up during the week but was told that they moved other bikes around so they could work on mine since I said I wanted it Tuesday... So then I just agreed to get it on Wednesday and specifically told them that I needed to get it right at 10 when they open, like I SPECIFICALLY mentioned this and they said it would be no problem.

I get there Wednesday like 30 mins early and sit down to wait. 10AM comes and goes with no sign of anyone, by 10:20AM I'm trying to call, I'm knocking on the door and the garage door but no one seems to be around. It wasn't until 10:45 when the door is finally opened, at this point I'm already ****** for work. To make matters worse, the person opening the door was preoccupied doing something and had 0 urgency whatsoever, he just kept doing his thing slowly while half-heartedly apologizing to me, honestly I don't need an apology I just need to get my stuff and leave. I had money in hand and I was ready to just go meanwhile there was ZERO URGENCY on their part. I don't want to necessarily share the excuse I was given as to why the shop was opened late since it was absolutely BS, it was a very unprofessional excuse... If someone was running late, an accident or something happened fine I can understand but it honestly was just them not giving a ****.

I have never been so disrespected, we specifically agreed and I specifically told them how important it was that I get the bike exactly at the specified time and they acknowledged this. Then for them to just literally give zero sh*ts about it and for me to leave nearly an hour later is just unacceptable. On top of having to pay them I myself lose money for not being able to get to work on time, absolutely ridiculous and the part that really annoys me is I had this in the back of my head but I let them talk me into picking it up during the week instead of simply saying no and choosing to go on the weekend.

Hope they take a look at how they treat their customers. Needless to say they've lost my business and I won't be so inclined to recommend them to the people I ride with.

Last edited:
One of the things to try in order to avoid this kind of situation (no matter what shop) is to prepay the work order on a credit card.
Then have them leave the bike outside with your paperwork and the key hidden somewhere.
Most places have security cameras and are reasonably safe.
Then p/u at your leisure.

Always call before the pickup time. If it is urgent, nobody else respects your time like yourself. One time I walked 2x for a car they told me would be finished. Was a total joke

Facebook Post - It seems they have realized that they are busier than what they can handle. It seems at least they are trying to fix their business practice.

I like Z - They are a great shop in regards to the work quality, timeline wise I haven't had a bad experience but if I was the OP I would also be ****** off

Z1 Tuning
12 hrs ·

PLEASE NOTE!!!
Our shop work load this season has been at an all time high and unfortunately we have faced some challenges in meeting deadlines on occasion. In order to avoid any possible inconvenience to our customers we will be offering our services by appointment only. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we will strive to meet or exceed your expectations.

I agree. I'd never pay a shop until I'm satisfied that the work was done, and done right.

I was merely trying to address the inconvenience factor, offering an alternate solution to the off-hour timing problem. Zed runs a first class, reputable business and he's forgotten more about motorcycle tuning and repair that most people will ever know. He stands behind his work - if you were to arrange to p/u after hours and weren't completely satisfied I know he'd make it right.

I was merely trying to address the inconvenience factor, offering an alternate solution to the off-hour timing problem. Zed runs a first class, reputable business and he's forgotten more about motorcycle tuning and repair that most people will ever know. He stands behind his work - if you were to arrange to p/u after hours and weren't completely satisfied I know he'd make it right.

not trying to pile on TK4, but as a business owner dealing with many clients, I would never take prepayment on any job until my client is satisfied with the work. I actually would dissuade them from doing so, just opens up too any issues you can be liable for. Also the OP is not working outside the confines of off hour timing, he's actually trying to pick his bike up during "their" specified work hours. Not only once but twice they were late opening up. Doesn't sound right especially seeing as they have addressed it via facebook about being busier than usual or expected. IF that was the case I would have expected them to open up even earlier to work. I'm sure he does good work and stands behind it, seems to get good rep, but OP doesn't seem to be talking about that, he just wants to get his bike during their regular business hours...

cheers

Zaid is probably burning the midnight oil to keep up. Worse time of the year to try and get your bike serviced, shops are swamped.

Z1 got your bike fixed, you would have still been waiting a month for your go to guy to do the same, 30 mins vs 30 days .

Even when Z1 operated in thornhill.....every time I went there they opened up 30 minutes to an hour later than their stated hours of operation.
Got tired of the wait and they lost me as a customer.
This is supposed to be a business, not a hobby and they need to get their stuff together.

Last edited:
not trying to pile on TK4, but as a business owner dealing with many clients, I would never take prepayment on any job until my client is satisfied with the work. I actually would dissuade them from doing so, just opens up too any issues you can be liable for. Also the OP is not working outside the confines of off hour timing, he's actually trying to pick his bike up during "their" specified work hours. Not only once but twice they were late opening up. Doesn't sound right especially seeing as they have addressed it via facebook about being busier than usual or expected. IF that was the case I would have expected them to open up even earlier to work. I'm sure he does good work and stands behind it, seems to get good rep, but OP doesn't seem to be talking about that, he just wants to get his bike during their regular business hours...

cheers

No argument about the inconvenience factor, and its certainly something Zaid must address BUT we buy stuff online all the time sight unseen - what's the difference ?
IN GENERAL TERMS, if OP (and anyone else) can get his bike back at a time that's more convenient to him, then why not ?

Just in perspective, I have gotten bikes late by a week or two from other shops, so with this perspective and the reality of the business 30min to 1 hr ain't that bad.

While I agree it sucks that people don't live up to their promises, I constantly deal with this in the construction business. However, I also agree with Paulo in that 30 min to 1hr isn't too bad.

This past winter, I waited patiently for race parts that were supposed to be readily available from Canadian suppliers. Promises were broken, parts were either back ordered or not in stock. Stuff that was ordered in January showed up in April, etc etc.

As consumers, we have to learn where to pick our battles. I suspect that Z1 employess are burning the midnight oil at this time of year. The owners may have even been out of town with their CSBK commitment at the time. ( not sure on the timing of the OP's woes)

Anyway, from my experience and knowledge of the work that comes out of this shop, they are one of the better ones around.

No argument about the inconvenience factor, and its certainly something Zaid must address BUT we buy stuff online all the time sight unseen - what's the difference ?

Buying tangible products on-line with a return policy and readily available product reviews is absolutely nothing like paying for individual services.
They are two completely different transactions.

Buying tangible products on-line with a return policy and readily available product reviews is absolutely nothing like paying for individual services.
They are two completely different transactions.

How so ? If a shop doesn't perform work to your satisfaction then go back to them and demand it.
Its called 'payment for services rendered', whether goods OR labour.
Its a lot easier than going through the hassle of returning something you bought on line ?

Just in perspective, I have gotten bikes late by a week or two from other shops, so with this perspective and the reality of the business 30min to 1 hr ain't that bad.

While I agree it sucks that people don't live up to their promises, I constantly deal with this in the construction business. However, I also agree with Paulo in that 30 min to 1hr isn't too bad.

Am I reading these correctly? People are actually trying to defend the fact someone had an agreement and broke it for no real good reason?

Perhaps you missed the part where I specifically outlined why I needed it at that specific time, they told me it would be ready at that time. If I didn't make myself clear or if there was some kind of misunderstanding that would be one thing, also if there was some sort of emergency that also would be something to consider but none of that was the case. We had an agreement, if they didn't want to risk not giving it to me at that specific time they could have easily said pick it up at another point and I wouldn't have cared.

I understand a bunch of you like Z1, so do I and I have no complaints about their work or quality but this is the real world where people have real world commitments. By not following through with the agreement I made with them, they screwed me over for my own commitments. Personally, I think those trying to defend or justify this are absolutely ridiculous, why even make an agreement in the first place then? How is their work load my problem? Who cares if they are burning the midnight oil? I'm paying money for a service and it's not like they are cheap, if they are truly overloaded don't make these kind of arrangements or better manage the amount of work you take on.

There is a difference between opening up nearly an hour later when you have no prior commitments and opening up nearly an hour late when someone was told they could be there right at the designated opening time.

Am I reading these correctly? People are actually trying to defend the fact someone had an agreement and broke it for no real good reason?

It happens all the time. I gave the construction industry as an example, we get let down on a daily basis and yet we still have to deliver, we make adjustments and move on.

Maybe next time you schedule something, you should leave a little wiggle room for screw ups.

I'm not sure a rant like this will garner sympathy from everyone that reads it

It happens all the time. I gave the construction industry as an example, we get let down on a daily basis and yet we still have to deliver, we make adjustments and move on.

Maybe next time you schedule something, you should leave a little wiggle room for screw ups.

I'm not sure a rant like this will garner sympathy from everyone that reads it

I'm not looking for sympathy nor am I bashing Z1 or their work. It's more a warning so people know this could happen to them, I'm not the only one who's had issues with their operating time as you can see.

What does it matter if it happens all the time? You say make adjustments like it's a wave of the wand, sometimes you can't make adjustments which is why you try and make things crystal clear from the start. Whatever you do in your industry is your business, in my industry if people don't meet timelines they get fired. If you're okay with people telling you one thing and doing something else that's good for you. It's not okay with me and I'm sure it's not okay with many other people.

I had plenty of wiggle room, I could have gotten the bike a week later for all I cared. I offered to pick it up on the weekend when I had no work and they said I was kind of screwing them over because it was already good to go and they moved other bikes around so they could work on mine since my job wasn't too complicated. They told me to come on a weekday and I informed them, as to why that could be a problem for me, they assured me it would be fine.

Did you call Z on the phone and gave him feedback? Or you just came in here directly?

Back
Top Bottom