PSA- Beware Kijiji Scum | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA- Beware Kijiji Scum

Did you at least call the station to confirm?
If he is a cop then you might still have a legit deal if he is not then run away from that deal.

When I bought a used car and paid by draft...the seller ask me to go to the bank with him and the draft until it was transferred. Apparently there are fake drafts out there.

When I bought a used car and paid by draft...the seller ask me to go to the bank with him and the draft until it was transferred. Apparently there are fake drafts out there.
Of course there is, it's just a piece of paper.

If he's a cop it's unprofessional behavior, so discipline may be in order? If he's not, claiming to be one is impersonating a police officer.

Yes he should be Disciplined immediate leave of absence from work for the summer with pay !! That'll teach him.

I always consider asking for a bank draft when selling a vehicle. don't want some A hole trying to give me a bunch of fake bills. But then I think, counterfeit bank draft. And I just take a chance on the bills.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My PSA prostate test could be a scam? What the ****? Oh...nvm.

I don't understand this statement, are there different laws for police officers than for us regular folk?

If there are merits to charge someone (and I am not sure there are) shouldn't this person be charged regardless of being a cop or not?

Technically there was no criminal act as the OP did not buy the bike.
Police Officers in Ontario are subject to the discreditable conduct sections of the Ontario Police Act for actions both on and off duty.
By claiming to be a police officer and selling a bike as lien free when it had liens on it qualifies.
If he in not a police officer, he can be charged with impersonating one.

The drama will leave you hanging:

4eb3b53d5cdc9b329750f5d3b3303ffc.jpg

8d8c99b470ff72d4d94b941008664c00.jpg

The plot thickens.

If he actually gives you the real VIN I'd be willing to chip in a few dollars (perhaps along with others) to actually buy the UVIP. When it still shows the lien I'd like to see what the story changes to then. ;)

Kijiji used to be a great place to sell a bike. Especially if you priced it right. Now, the scams run both ways. Trying to sell a bike right now and just get a bunch of texts asking me to email them. No mention of what info. they are looking for - just "email me at (insert email address) if your bike is still for sale". Complete scams as their phone numbers are from all over Canada . Never used to get those kind of relies in years past. What a waste of time! No better on Auto/Bike Trader.

I've sold a lot of vehicles (Cars, trucks, RV's, and most recently my wifes old scoot) on Kijiji. Yes, I've got the occasional scammer trying to bait me but anyone with any techsavvyness can see right through them and just move on (unless you want to have some fun) and wait for the real people.

Yes, there's often a lot of window shoppers, some of whom will waste your time.

But in the end I've always found a buyer and completed a transaction, and the cost is zero. The occasional hassle is worth it to me in the end.

I've found it's always gone pretty smoothly in the past. sure, lots of tire kickers and what not but this time I've received nothing but low-ballers and the majority of replies have been scammers. Just disappointing that there are that many people trying to rip you off these days.

Contact Kijiji, they'll ban him

I don't think Kijiji will do anything...I was looking for a car about 1 year ago and found one being advertised but by the time I contacted the seller he told me he'd already sold it....two days later, the same car shows up being sold by someone else. I call the new vendor and ask him how long he'd owned the car for, he tells me he's a mechanic and just got the car two days ago from a customer who gave it to him in settlement for outstanding bills.

Now here's the Kijiji not doing anything part:

The original owner had the vehicle milage @ 150,000 Kms. The new owner, the mechanic, was advertising the vehicle @ 140,000 Kms! At first I though it was a typo, so I called the mechanic and asked him to reconfirm the milage. He told me categorically that the milage is 140,000 Kms, I even asked him if he meant Miles instead of Kms and he assured me it was Kms and not Miles.

I then called back the original owner and asked him to reconfirm the milage, he too swore that the car had done 150,000 Kms. I told him that the new ad is stating 140,000 Kms and not 150,000 Kms and he assured me that he wrote down the exact milage that the speedometer of the car was reading when he owned it.

I called back the mechanic who was selling it and told him about the discrepancy, he became angry and told me to stop wasting his time and to either buy the car or look elsewhere.

I reported this issue to Kijiji, I even gave them the current and previous ad information but NOTHING happened, the new ad was not taken down, nor was it changed and I never received any response or follow up from Kijiji. In fact I followed up with Kijiji a week later and still nothing....the ad ran for at least three weeks and then I lost interest because I was able to buy another car and stopped checking Kijiji....

I hope my experience was a exception and Kijiji takes this stuff seriously.

Cheers,

Last edited:
The original owner had the vehicle milage @ 150,000 Kms. The new owner, the mechanic, was advertising the vehicle @ 140,000 Kms! At first I though it was a typo, so I called the mechanic and asked him to reconfirm the milage. He told me categorically that the milage is 140,000 Kms, I even asked him if he meant Miles instead of Kms and he assured me it was Kms and not Miles.

I then called back the original owner and asked him to reconfirm the milage, he too swore that the car had done 150,000 Kms.

I'm reasonably confident that the original owner was just confused. If someone is going to go through the hassle of recalibrating/winding back an odometer (and trust me, it's not an easy thing to do anymore, virtually impossible on many modern vehicles) they're going to wind it back more than 10K. If it went from 150,000 to 75,000 I'd say there may be a legit concern.

The plot thickens:

0ba7a1b0ee11c53aeb39434bd845da84.jpg

He did attach a picture of the VIN #

I've asked him how much is owing and if we can go to his bank together to pay off the bike and remove the lien.

i hope you contact london cops as suggested, don't let it slide. as for 1400km's there are all sorts of video's of people changing odometer readings electronically on cars and bikes. all sorts of devices for sale to do it - on the u tube videos comments section as well. as for another poster saying its very difficult or almost impossible- search the you tube vids and watch guys doing it in a matter of minutes. watched one you tube vid where a guy changed about 6 cars odometers electronically in about a half hour...on a used car lot while being secretly video taped. then they confronted the lot owner - priceless. I wonder when i see a low km bike for sale... buyer beware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1kUXWshEA

Last edited:
I always consider asking for a bank draft when selling a vehicle. don't want some A hole trying to give me a bunch of fake bills. But then I think, counterfeit bank draft. And I just take a chance on the bills.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

my method? - go together with the buyer to the bank and get cash. if he already has cash - have him ask teller for certified cheque from his cash. from there go together to change over ownership. all good.

as for liens when buying, i worry, as there is no gaurantee with uvip that there isn't a lien, apparently.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom