Any good shops that specialize in vintage bikes? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any good shops that specialize in vintage bikes?

If the project is worth it to you, then do it. Don't listen to these guys. The cost to restore vs. value when it's done is never equal. That can be said for just about any restoration of most vehicles. I used to ride with a guy who had a collection of over 30 vintage bikes of all makes and he used to say he would never restore a bike due to the cost, he just waited for someone else to do the restoration, get bored of it or need the cash and then buy it. Some of the bikes in his collection had documented restorations of over $10,000 but he would buy them for $5,000-$6,000. In the end if you want to do it and you deem it worth the money then that is all that matters.

If the project is worth it to you, then do it. Don't listen to these guys. The cost to restore vs. value when it's done is never equal. That can be said for just about any restoration of most vehicles. I used to ride with a guy who had a collection of over 30 vintage bikes of all makes and he used to say he would never restore a bike due to the cost, he just waited for someone else to do the restoration, get bored of it or need the cash and then buy it. Some of the bikes in his collection had documented restorations of over $10,000 but he would buy them for $5,000-$6,000. In the end if you want to do it and you deem it worth the money then that is all that matters.

Spot on. It's a rare case where the cost of restoration can be recovered, especially if you don't do a lot of the work yourself.

I bought a '74 Norton Commando this spring for 4k. It came with lots of documentation for work performed on it when it was restored between 1997-2001. I added up all the invoices and the guy spent just under 10K. He had a shop do nearly all of the work.

You're right. If the bike is special to him, he might as well fix it up.

And you are proving a point, people fell in love with an idea without giving thought of the $$$ and in the end they are OUT of $$$ and have no bike to show for it because they had to sell it cheap to get back some $$$ likely 50% at best.

Wanting to restore a Ford Pinto vs. a Mustang (older Steve M. models) doesn't make sense to me but to each their own.
It keeps people employed.

Back
Top Bottom