Busted speedo | GTAMotorcycle.com

Busted speedo

mistersouthpaw

Speedometer stopped working in Gatineau today. I'm a bit far from home and I'm planning to keep moving forward.. Will a broken speedometer affect any other systems? The bike is an 05 en500. I'm planning to check the cable but I've never had a bike with a speedometer before. If the cable is not broken how can I determine what the issue is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help with the speedo, but fyi if you don't have a gps on the bike, there are plenty speedo apps that should get you around safely.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Ha I do not I just use my Sena and google maps on my phone if I need gps. I usually only use the speedometer to make sure I don't run out of gas but I'll just stop a lot more

I don't really care about fixing the speedometer right now but advice on how to is appreciated! just wanted to make sure anything else isn't affected but it starts and drives fine

I am not familiar with the bike. I would however see if you can feel any play in the front wheel bearings if it is cable driven from the front wheel. At times these failure happen as the bearings start to wear out.

Once again don't know that particular bike well, but would have a look at wheel bearings if possible.

With my bike when the speedo cable comes loose the only other thing affected is the odometer.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

The speedo is mechanically driven by a cable -
K05EN500C1038.gif

9 times out of 10 it *is* the cable, where one of the ends has twisted off.

To answer your other question, no - there is nothing on an EN500 that would be affected by a speedometer reading. So you're not hurting anything else by driving with a non-functional speedometer... as long as the outer sleeve does not physically detach/break off. If it does, problems. Keep an eye on it

Hey thanks tk4.. Where did you get this diagram? My computing power is limited to an iPhone lol appreciate the help

Snow City Cycle's website shows parts diagrams, including part numbers. Makes it much easier to order what you need.

Snow City Cycle's website shows parts diagrams, including part numbers. Makes it much easier to order what you need.

Yea definitely easier. Thanks for that tip. Got my speedometer sorted out once I found a wrench. Just a bit of the cable had snapped at the end. Probably from pressure caused by the tank bag I had on it

Back
Top Bottom