Open face + no windshield = ???????? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Open face + no windshield = ????????

Do it until you take a stone or some other debris fling up into an eyeball and lose your sight.

So general consensus is to try visor up + glasses and that the people who ride totally open may need mental help. That or the usual "be a man, suck it up" approach.

Heh, try riding down the road with a gnat wriggling under your eyelid. It's less suck it up and more focus on riding smoothly until you clear the overpass and find a parking lot to get the critter out.

Simple explanation, older bike are not aerodynamic, windshield/fairing or a fly screen push are designed to push the air up above the riders head. Riding open face on bikes with this characteristic will have a greater chance of throwing a bug/ stone etch up to the face level.

I get fewer hits of bug on my helmet while riding a bike with no fly screen (naked bike like CB-1 400) vs more hits when I ride my CBF1000 with a windscreen.

Also you don't need to ride fast to enjoy it, majority ride out sans face protection to enjoy the wind on their face.

I am currently riding and in the past rode naked bike with open face... Not sure how to describe it .. It's an experience and you get used to it and love it... I felt weird the first time I wore a full face. I was like "wtf how can anyone ride in this"

I can say this much ,, with a naked bike and open face. You will ride much slower and have a "different " kind of fun. To each their own I suppose.

They have a layer of sun-cured leather on their face

Pretty much this.
Not that women have to look a certain way to please anybody else, and at least they love to ride, but I have met a few veteran riders in their 40's and 50's and the skin on their faces is noticeably damaged by the elements and they've always been beanie wearing cruiser gals. Pock marks and dried skin.

best of luck to these ppl
it's fine if you are going 20 kmh in a parade
but I had a dragon fly hit my helmet at 120 and my head rocked back
my luck I would be the guy to take a rock to the head...actually rocks have bounced off my lid and chipped them in the past

I guess I'm one of those older, tougher riders. I ride an old GS with no fairing or windscreen. If I have a "leather" face it is probably from smoking for 45 years, not biking.
The bugs are no big deal, keep your mouth shut.
The problem is the wind on your chest. a couple of hours at highway speeds and your arms are beat. The solution is to assume the "tuck" position and let the vacuum hold you up. So if you see me on the highway, in a "tuck", going the speed limit, it's not because i am trying to look like my favourite MotoGP rider, it's because my arms are tired. Sorry I'm getting old.

I had a buddy that was a biker, a REAL biker. He looked the part, was full patch and was a pretty mean guy. He was driving across the Oak St. bridge, in Vancouver, , following a dump truck, when a rock ( a big rock, about 3 kilos) that was wedged between the dual wheels of the truck came loose and hit Dave on the forehead (the way Dave told the story; he had a frontal lobotomy done with a rock) and he was knocked out good, fractured skull, trauma to the brain. He was out for about a week, the doctors put him back in a coma for another month, he ended up in the hospital for about 4 months.
When Dave got out of the hospital he was the nicest, most considerate, calm guy I had ever met.
I also met a guy that hit a bath tub that fell out the truck in front of him on the 401... and lived to tell the tale.

I also met a guy that hit a bath tub that fell out the truck in front of him on the 401... and lived to tell the tale.

probably because he was wearing a full face helmet

Flying rocks and bathtubs aside; helmets, visors and windshields are not the main issue. The main issue, at least in some southern states like Florida, is to protect the eyes rather than the brain. You can ride without a helmet but not ride without sunglasses or goggles to protect the eyes due to the very high bug population. With so much litigation currently, I guess that makes a lot of sense from a public accountability angle; no helmet and a cracked skull will only kill you, whereas bugs in the eyes could cause you to accidentally kill someone else. Those Americans are so logical and smart.

I know of one case in Florida where the rider was stopped at a red light, momentarily took off his sunglasses to wipe the bug guts off, and was ticketed since he was on the roadway with the bike running. Now if you can figure out the logic on that one, let me know.

So i will open my visor even at some higher speeds on days like ...well this past week since its been 30+ celcius and sinceim wearing all the gear and mesh top, i need a little bit more "cooling" of my body temp

But i gotta say the ONE TIME i got hit by a minuscule pebble in my chest i freaked out at how it felt like a punch in my chest (and i have a windshield on the bike too). So more often than not ill have my visor at "small crack" level

sounds like some of you guys need to stick to public transit and bubble wrap

put some glasses on to protect your eyes, and grow a set of balls for the rest (excluding bathtubs), i've been hit with a small rock in the face wearing an open face on the 400 and am still alive, ye it hurt a little but it still fun as hell riding with an open face, i've also been hit in the neck wearing a full face and survived, riding in the rain with an open face is a bit of a pain, but ohh well you survive that 2

Around the city and highways sub-100kmh, visor is up. Anything over 100 and the lid comes down. Can't see anything at faster speeds with the wind blasting in your eye holes!

edit: Nude sports bike with no wind protection.

Well, the surgeon told me when I was admitted to hospital after my crash in May that had I been wearing a beanie, "we wouldn't be having this conversation, you would be downstairs in a bag." He said the full face is what saved my life when my head hit the pavement. I had a tall windshield plus full face but 99.9"% of the time my visor was up, like ReStored I normally rode with my integrated sun shield down.

@hedo2002 I kinda hate when they say stuff like that. Is a FF safer? Yes. But can he say with 100% certainty that the FF SAVED YOUR LIFE? More like scare tactics to me.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

No helmet in this one, but same difference when it comes to wind in the face. Doesn't look that comfortable to me. lol

[video=youtube;T308Bc9kC_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T308Bc9kC_k[/video]

I was hospitalized for a week with an eye injury when I was 10, never forgot the pain, the hospital stay and the agony it caused my parents who worried if I was going to lose the sight in that eye.

So, it's been bubble shield and full-face since I first started street riding in the early 80's, and I won't even hand-saw wood without safety glasses. I will wear a beanie and sunglasses when I rent a motorbike in Florida, but I feel really exposed and vulnerable.

@hedo2002 I kinda hate when they say stuff like that. Is a FF safer? Yes. But can he say with 100% certainty that the FF SAVED YOUR LIFE? More like scare tactics to me.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Joe I disagree. The only thing a beanie is good for is scooping your brain up off the road after your skull has been split open. A hardhat would offer far more protection.

Back
Top Bottom