Open face + no windshield = ???????? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Open face + no windshield = ????????

Joe I disagree. The only thing a beanie is good for is scooping your brain up off the road after your skull has been split open. A hardhat would offer far more protection.
Is a beanie different from a half helmet?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

When you say beanie, are we talking those really thin helmets? Or is that a half helmet? Because my half helmet is as thick as my modular.
Anyway, I pretty much exclusively wear my modular, but when I read hedos post, I just pictured the dr saying it in the most high horesed, condescending, you bikers are idiots way.

Beanie in my mind are those thin little turtle-shell jobs that barely (if at all) meet DOT standards. But anything above the ears to me at least, is useless. I agree on your Dr. interpretation, they also say that about bicycle helmets.

When you say beanie, are we talking those really thin helmets? Or is that a half helmet? Because my half helmet is as thick as my modular.
Anyway, I pretty much exclusively wear my modular, but when I read hedos post, I just pictured the dr saying it in the most high horesed, condescending, you bikers are idiots way.

Beanie helmet:

Worlds-Smallest-Lightest-DOT-Beanie-Helmet1.jpg

As for the full face debate...I'd say it is warranted. Test results and stats have shown the place that impacts the ground more than anywhere else on the helmet is the chinbar. Personally I don't see the appeal of open face...over 100 wind hit hard, bugs (my FF Shoei looks disgusting after any ride up north), and if I am going to protect my brain, the last thing I want to do is survive something due to having a helmet, but be missing my face or jaw. I think I'd rather be dead than have that happen actually.

Last edited:
I didn't get the feeling he was being condescending, I believe he was being sincere. I didn't, (during the crash), realize I had become airbourne, I thought I was sliding the entire time, UNTIL my head and collar bone hit the pavement. I even said out loud when it hit "wow that was a hard hit, how did my head hit so hard when I was sliding" The helmet took a direct hit right where the visor attaches to the side of the helmet. Had it not been for the FF, I would have certainly sustained some pretty good road rash on the side of the face, and chin areas.

Remember when I crossed over the stateline from Vermont to New Hampshire. Immediately shocked that I was the only one wearing a helmet (momentarily forgot there are actually some states that allow no helmets) and their helmets (in case they cross over to Vermont) were strapped to their sissy bars. Most of the riders looked like they play for ZZ Top and likely didn't want to be stuffed inside a FF helmet in July.

Then I read the state motto on their license plates, "Live Free, or Die" - okay now I get it. Those Americans are so logical.

Have ridden most of my time with FF helmet . Then I bough my Harley and a half helmet . I only use my FF on the highway for long distance for comfort . Riding in Daytona with no helmet gave me a perspective on the practice . Riding off beaten path I felt safe riding with no helmet . I doubt if I would ride with no helmet in the GTA . But up north of outside the city limits probably yes .

Until you try it don`t knock it .

@hedo2002 I kinda hate when they say stuff like that. Is a FF safer? Yes. But can he say with 100% certainty that the FF SAVED YOUR LIFE? More like scare tactics to me.

Well... if you see the helmet, and where the helmet was impacted/rashed/cracked, you can probably compare easily.

Like as an example this picture down below, vs having open face would probably make a whole lotta difference:
220px-Swisherhelmet1.jpg

@lephillou I totally get it. I guess I was just thrown off by the Dr. Similar to how I felt when mine found out I bought a bike..."make sure you have life insurance " " we call them donor cycles" etc etc. Like I said before, if anything happens to my rx glasses, I'm blind as a bat. So I will continue to wear my modular 99% of the time.

@lephillou I totally get it. I guess I was just thrown off by the Dr. Similar to how I felt when mine found out I bought a bike..."make sure you have life insurance " " we call them donor cycles" etc etc. Like I said before, if anything happens to my rx glasses, I'm blind as a bat. So I will continue to wear my modular 99% of the time.

Oh yeah those comments i get from everyone around me... brother in law (cop), some other in-law relatives as well... honestly i dont talk much about it to people because i dont do it for them, i do it for myself financially and well... for pleasure obviously!

At least his Dr was condoning gear and not just dismissing bikes completely

Remember when I crossed over the stateline from Vermont to New Hampshire. Immediately shocked that I was the only one wearing a helmet (momentarily forgot there are actually some states that allow no helmets) and their helmets (in case they cross over to Vermont) were strapped to their sissy bars. Most of the riders looked like they play for ZZ Top and likely didn't want to be stuffed inside a FF helmet in July.

Then I read the state motto on their license plates, "Live Free, or Die" - okay now I get it. Those Americans are so logical.

I have friends that who have rode through those states, and the second they crossed the border they took their helmet off. Still baffles me...I know we have laws here, but I wear mine for safety and comfort, and none of that, or physics for that matter, changes depending on your location.

I still joke that one day I'll likely take a trip to Hawaii, and probably bring my helmet and jacket with me. Likely be the only one dressed like that on the island. lol

Back
Top Bottom