Cruiser vs Naked for 1st bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruiser vs Naked for 1st bike

Did your insurance quotes include full coverage?

Remember, if you're buying new and financing full insurance coverage (including collision, comprehensive, and theft) will be required by the financing company. This can certainly add to the overall insurance picture in the form of extra $$$.

Honestly, reconsider used for your first bike. Not only will you save on insurance if you buy something for which you only carry basic liability coverage, but more importantly you may discover your first choice of bike isn't really what you wanted in the end...and trying to sell a 1 year old bike next summer will end up costing you dearly in depreciation.

Once you have decided you're happy on whatever you've chosen, consider a shiny new one a year or so down the road once you have some experience, comfort level, and insurance history under your belt.

Lots of members here will be happy to help you look at a prospect bike in the used market and since you're looking at the Metric end of things, it's hard to go wrong - most of the options have been around long enough that the kinks have been worked out and the "common issues" are well documented and easy to spot, so if you check things out ahead of time you'll have a good solid bike at a very competitive (vs brand new) price with the depreciation hit already taken by the original owner if you buy something 4-5 years old.

I just bought my wife a Vstar 650 for her second bike and it has 45,000K on the odometer...but I had zero issue with that - It was in beautiful condition, the price was right, and it will go for another 100,000K without any issues, likely many more.

Good points. The quote I received did include full coverage.

I've been looking at used bikes online, but haven't found anything yet. The problem is I'm short, and I find many of the other 650-750 bikes I've tried feel big and heavy. When I sat on the Vulcan S - it felt right. Standard configuration, but probably the reduced reach handlebars. I may be able to find a used 2015 'S', but I doubt I'd be saving much, and with the 2017 models about to appear, might get a better deal on a new 2016. ;)

St onge recreation in Barrie has a 2016 Vulcan s, asking $7900 new. In a nice candy blue. The Vulcan s will run away from most conventional v twins in its class. A honda shadow is about 43hp and 44ft-lbs, the Vulcan is 65hp-ish, and 46 ft-lbs. It's also lighter than most others in its class. Nice choice.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Thnks for the heads up. I was looking at St. Onge, or Factory Recreation in Midland which is closer to me (and an easier ride home when I pick it up! ;). I may drop in to take a look at it, but the blue was my last choice for colour. I like the black one the most, orange next. lol.

@MikeGuilbault if you are looking used, trading services with one of the more knowledgeable members here might work for you. They help check out and possibly tow a bike, you do some bike pics.
Did you check out that link that I posted?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did check out the link, thanks, but unless something out of the blue happens in the next little while, I've pretty much decided on a new Vulcan S.

If you are into cruisers, get a cruiser. I say if you are going with a cruiser, you can start with a 600. The power delivery is usually the same as a smaller sportier bike and because of the low seat height the slow/stop maneuvers aren't usually an issue. What I don't like about most current cruisers is the peg forward position. You can't use your legs to aid as suspension.

+1 - I'm with Riceburner. If you gravitate to a cruiser, go down that path.

Buy the one that feels right and makes you look back at it while you walk away. They make motorcycles every day so if you don't like it in a while you can sell it and there's plenty other selection to move to :)

Back
Top Bottom