Cruiser vs Naked for 1st bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruiser vs Naked for 1st bike

First of all, I'm new to riding, but a few years under my belt - just got my M2 after a training course, and looking for a first bike. I know the arguments about buying used first, but I can financially handle monthly payments better than a lump sum outlay at this time. I realize I can buy something cheap, but you get what you pay for and I'm not mechanically inclined - so I'd just rather buy something new with a full warranty even if I only have it for a year or two. On that, my mind is set.

Now, I've read a lot about bikes for new riders - but in these forums, it tends to be about sports bikes - start with a 250/300cc vs 600cc, which I get. I can't seem to find much about cruisers though. It's hard to find a cruiser under 600cc's - nothing that I've found that I wanted to ride at least. So I started looking at other styles of bike and the best I come up with, for my budget and style, is a Honda CB300F. I know it's not a cruiser, but it's cheap, light and less than 1/2 the cc's of something like a Vulcan S (650cc) - which is what I was considering as a starting cruiser.

So, to the question. Is something like a Vulcan S a good place to start, or should I go with something like the CB300F? I prefer the cruiser style (I'm more in the cruiser age bracket if you get my meaning) over the street/sport/naked style. I realize the CB probably handles easier than the S for a beginner, but is it going to make that much difference?

Welcome to the forum @MikrGuilbault
The CB300F is a fine bike imo. However, also take a look at a cb500. If you are going new, that might be a bike that you can keep for a while. I started with my current bike, a 750 Shadow. Not much in the way of power, so it worked for me. I know more than a few guys that started with 600 cruisers. I would suggest against it if you are a welterweight though, as the bigger cruisers get heavy. I love my bike, but I think that something like a CB500X/F would be nice.
Hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

If you are into cruisers, get a cruiser. I say if you are going with a cruiser, you can start with a 600. The power delivery is usually the same as a smaller sportier bike and because of the low seat height the slow/stop maneuvers aren't usually an issue. What I don't like about most current cruisers is the peg forward position. You can't use your legs to aid as suspension.

Some other considerations are your size (weight, height), and insurance cost. If you're 6' 250lbs, you won't fit on a CB300...

The reason most riders recommend used is that new riders have a very high probability of dropping the bike, and this would be a bigger financial hit on a brand new bike vs used.

Here's an '04 Yamaha V-Star Custom 650cc for $3,750. at GP Bikes: http://www.gpbikespowersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=8217&pov=4720746 They might even finance it so you'd make monthly payments...

That Vulcan S looks really sweet. If it speaks to you, I say just get it. It'll be a tame bike, good for a new rider.

I don't really know cruisers, but the main reason people say to start smaller is both due to weight and also power...a 'slower' bike is more forgiving of any mistakes you might make than a much larger or faster bike.

That said, I 'think' based off what others have said in the past, if you are looking at cruisers then starting around the 500-650cc range is a good call, given overall they tend to make a lot less power per cubic centimetre than sportsbikes or naked bikes do. Also while a CB300 should have no issues doing a bit over 100km/h, a 250-300cc cruiser is likely not going to fair as well, given the added weight, lower power, and less aerodynamic design on the bike.

Biggest thing though as a new rider, especially given you are looking for new -- Get insurance quotes on everything first. You'd be surprised how a cheaper or smaller bike is sometimes more expensive to insure than a slightly larger one, for no good reason. Worst thing you can do is get your heart set on a single model, buy it, and then find out it is 2x your budget to insure each year.

Like sportsbikes, cruisers also have different seating positions: feet forward (gyne position), neutral (sit-up-and-beg) mid-position.

I find the feet forward position uncomfortable, but there are a lot of curisers that have this position. Most of the Harley line are feet forward, though I tried the 883 low and it is mid-position.

There are few new learner cruisers, but they are available. The Suzuki TU250 is a mid-position UJM (universal Japanese model) bike.

The Suzuki Boulevard S40 is a single cylinder 650 cruiser, but it is feet forward. Power is great for a learner rider, and it's center of mass is low to the ground, making it easy to ride.

Most of the new Honda cruiser line are heavy and feet forward and 750ccs. Check out the Shadow RS, which is a little less feet forward.

The 250-300cc class smaller bikes look sportsbike-y, but closely look at the position of seat to front pegs and handlebars and you will see that they are very close to mid-position, making it easier to ride. They do have a lot of precious and expensive plastic. The Honda CB500 is really a mid-controls bike, suitable for a new rider.

As for financing it might be better to consider a used learner cruiser, and take a loan/line of credit out from your bank instead of financing a new bike through a dealer. You do the math. There is a lot more selection of used cruisers than there are new.

Older bikes include the Kawi Vulcan 500.

Super clean bike, super reliable, forward controls-ish. You need to sit on it and the bike might talk to you.
Plus @FLSTC is a good guy, who takes care of his bikes.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

That Vulcan S looks really sweet. If it speaks to you, I say just get it. It'll be a tame bike, good for a new rider.

If you don't go for the used bike linked here you really should check out this model:

http://www.kawasaki.ca/product/vulcan-s-abs-special-edition

(Does not have to be the special edition)...

They have this "ergo-fit" concept so the footpegs and handlebar position can be adjusted to suit you.

Also, that parallel twin motor is awesome in the Versys and Ninja 650. It also does not hurt that I think Kawi nailed a muscle cruiser look with this bike.

Being a cruiser with 650cc you might get an insurance break too.

If you like the Honda CB300F then check out the CB500F.

I would get a supermoto. If you drop it, who cares, its meant for it.

Youll learn how to ride better and faster on it. Plus, youll have a ton of fun!

Cheap insurance!

Thanks for the input guys. I've checked insurance and I'm ok with the rate for a new Vulcan S - probably because of my age (59). I don't mind the forward controls - actually prefer them. @Zoodles95... that's the bike (not the SE though) that I've been looking at so you and Matt are on the mark with that. I'm not into it for the speed, so slow and steady is good - which I believe all points towards a cruiser, so I pretty much settled on the Vulcan S. Again, thanks for the input... very helpful!

Nice! What is interesting about the Vulcan is that the engine in that bike can make good torque (like its application in the Versys); yet will have a bit more HP up higher in the rpm which you do not always see in a mid displacement cruiser. I suspect you would not feel the torque you would on something like a 750 Shadow but on the highway you would have a bit more passing power. Which colour are going for?

I'm liking the all black one, but I'll have to see what's available when I'm ready to actually throw the money down. The dealers in my area don't seem to carry much as far as 'stock' - basically one bike at a time until it's sold. I may have to wait a couple of weeks or so if I need to order a specific colour in. I've waited this long lol, but not sure how much longer I can wait! ;)

Sweet! All black will look great. Throw a battery tender on it for the winter (and/or remove the battery), stabilizer and she should be good to go in the spring. Other than chain maintenance and scheduled maintenance you should be able to just ride and enjoy yourself. :)

If I manage to get it this year, I'll probably bring it indoors for the winter. I have a large studio area (I'm a professional photographer) and have the perfect spot for it indoors over the winter. It'll make a great conversation piece with clients lol.

Ha ha! That would be sweet. Just the same give the battery a charge up every month or so. A battery tender is only a $35-$40 purchase and will pay for itself by keeping your battery around longer. They last for years too...

If you are bringing it indoors, make sure you give in a super thorough cleaning first...salt and moisture cause things to rust, and that happens quicker at higher temperatures (room vs freezing garage).

Back
Top Bottom