group crash | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

group crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riding "in formation" for police bikes is not limited to the OPP. It is standard police procedure. It is done for a few reasons, the least acceptable one being initially it was in parades to "showcase" the level of training they had received.

Yes it is, "technically" illegal for two bikes to share the same lane, side by side, But if they are riding in formation, for ceremonial or tactical purposes

So, uh...a few points.

On the topic of showcasing experience. I was at Mosport a few months ago and watched some of the OPP motorcycle "Training" that happened to be going on at the same time I was there. It seemed to me, at least for the admittedly only an hour or so I was there that it wasn't exactly advanced rider training. IS there actual training that somehow gives them superior skills, such as that when presented with an emergency while operating two huge Harley cruisers next to each other in the same lane that they can somehow magically navigate their way out of it?

On the topic of "tactical" purposes, I can't possibly see any legitimate tactical purpose behind it. From a tactical standpoint, it seems to me that it would be a negative thing to have yourself boxed in with no "out". If there's some legit tactical purpose behind it, kindly explain...I'd legitimately like to hear it.

So, I think many of us come full circle to the OPP doing it simply "Because they can", the same reason we all know that LEO's flaunt their ability to use handheld devices in their vehicles for non-police purposes. Yeah, some of those phone calls I see LEO's taking every day in their cruisers while driving are personal, not all police related....lets not kid each other.

given the tone (..to say the least) of these comments & questions, if i was a leo, i wouldn't bother responding at all to this type post, particularly when combined with fluff like this
kindly explain...I'd legitimately like to hear it
not to mention not even being clear with simple basic questions,

must be some real hotshot driver to be so underwhelmed not only by leo driving but even in general

So, uh...a few points.

On the topic of showcasing experience. I was at Mosport a few months ago and watched some of the OPP motorcycle "Training" that happened to be going on at the same time I was there. It seemed to me, at least for the admittedly only an hour or so I was there that it wasn't exactly advanced rider training. IS there actual training that somehow gives them superior skills, such as that when presented with an emergency while operating two huge Harley cruisers next to each other in the same lane that they can somehow magically navigate their way out of it?

On the topic of "tactical" purposes, I can't possibly see any legitimate tactical purpose behind it. From a tactical standpoint, it seems to me that it would be a negative thing to have yourself boxed in with no "out". If there's some legit tactical purpose behind it, kindly explain...I'd legitimately like to hear it.

So, I think many of us come full circle to the OPP doing it simply "Because they can", the same reason we all know that LEO's flaunt their ability to use handheld devices in their vehicles for non-police purposes. Yeah, some of those phone calls I see LEO's taking every day in their cruisers while driving are personal, not all police related....lets not kid each other.

Last edited:
If you'd been around here longer you'd know I'm almost universally supportive of the police and their policies, but not always in a blanket fashion when it's not deserved. The side by side formation riding thing for no apparent purpose other than "because we can" doesn't fly for me, especially when (as mentioned, even by a LEO himself), it's not legal.

" IS there actual training that somehow gives them superior skills, such as that when presented with an emergency while operating two huge Harley cruisers next to each other in the same lane that they can somehow magically navigate their way out of it?"

Given the number of hours in the seat I'm sure they become pretty proficient riders.

A couple years ago I was on the 401 express at the Don Valley before lunch on a weekday. As usual, the DVP exit was stop and go and there was a line of cars, both in the on ramp lane and in the right traffic lane. So this woman in a white VW decides that she is going to try to insert herself into that lane from the adjacent lane of traffic, throwing on her signal and braking heavily......immediately in front of 2 OPP cops on their HD's riding side by side.

To their immense credit, though they both locked the rear wheel and had the front chirping they both avoided colliding with her and each other and stayed upright. With lights and sirens "blazing" they roared around her with one in front and one beside ushering her to the shoulder.

If you'd been around here longer you'd know I'm almost universally supportive of the police and their policies, but not always in a blanket fashion when it's not deserved. The side by side formation riding thing for no apparent purpose other than "because we can" doesn't fly for me, especially when (as mentioned, even by a LEO himself), it's not legal.
Don't feed the wildlife

not to mention that most often, just by hrs spent doing something, that alone takes you to a higher advanced level over others

Last edited:
not to mention that most often, just by hrs spent doing something, that alone takes you to a higher advanced level over others

Yup. Wait'll you have 10,000 posts. It's awesome.

Isn't a "Harley train" just a moving obstruction of Harley riding motorcyclists? Could be a train of Class C campers, Opal Kadett Owners Group, Rick Shaws' family reunion all driving rickshaws etc you get the picture. The common thread being riding/driving/shawing so slow and in such close proximity to prevent outsider vehicles into the train in an attempt to leap frog to freedom. It is what it is I don't know why you want to fight about it?
some people have nothing better to do

some people have nothing better to do

Do not let that drive you to distraction. It's not too late to turn around.

Last edited:
you know when luxo speaketh, it has great merit:lmao:
pretty obvious...it allows one cop to tactfully tell the other that he is "gay and proud of it !"....

chips.jpg

personally, i could care less about the leo side by side deal

Shirley that's quantifiable? Give us a taste of how much less. For entertainment purposes only if you please.

such as that when presented with an emergency while operating two huge Harley cruisers next to each other in the same lane that they can somehow magically navigate their way out of it?

you becha, harley & magic go hand in hand, just press the wand button

btw, are u suggesting harleys are unsuitable for police work?? "HUGE HEAVY" ??

also, a harley cop bike is not a cruiser & they are excellent pursuit vehicles

Last edited:
data blaba, funny, cops & harleys have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history,

idiot pursuits? call in the chopper, as in heli..

Last edited:
also, a harley cop bike is not a cruiser & they are excellent pursuit vehicles

Oh puh-leeze. Can they pursue? Sure. You could "pursue" on a CBR125 as well.

Are they "excellent pursuit vehicles"? No. Making that compassion is like suggesting a Suburban is an "excellent pursuit vehicle" compared to, say, perhaps the Hemi Challengers many forces use.

The special police Harleys are not somehow magically converted to sportbikes in horsepower, performance, or handling, they're still big heavy cruisers with some police farkles on them. Comfortable and generally probably well suited for the work, sure, but if you're suggesting that they're going to chase down a guy running on a 'busa, or hell, a hopped up riceburner, you've been hitting the Harley koolaid harder than even I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom