group crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

group crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearace

EDMUNDSTON, N.B.—An employee at a New Brunswick campsite said the highway “looked like it had blown up” after a pileup involving nine motorcycles and an RV that left one man dead.

Edmundston police say eight men and a woman, all of whom were travelling on motorcycles, also suffered injuries in the crash Friday night and are in hospital.

Police say the male motorcyclists involved in the crash were members of various biker groups such as Hells Angels, Red Devils and Darksiders.

The employee, who asked she not be identified by name to protect her privacy, said a crowd of approximately 50 people gathered around the injured bikers as they waited for emergency responders to arrive.

“It was just like an explosion,” the employee said. “There was bikes and pieces all over the grass, and all over, there were people lying in the grass and across the road ... Everything from boots, to credit cards, to money just all over the place.”

According to police, the crash occurred on Highway 144 as the motorcyclists tried to pass the RV while it was preparing to turn into the St-Basile campsite entrance.

Police say in an attempt to avoid hitting the fifth wheel, the motorcycles came in contact with each other creating a “domino effect.”

They say the deceased rider, a 51-year-old man from Boisbriand, Que., came in contact with the RV.

The driver of the RV was not injured.

The employee said three people from Ontario were in the RV during the crash. She said the campers spent the night and were still “pretty shaken up” by the incident when they left Saturday morning.

The woman said she heard the sound of a crash and a tire popping at around 7:30 p.m. Friday, followed by a cloud of sand as wheels skidded onto the grass in front of the campsite.

The employee said she sent her 17-year-old son out to see what had happened, and he ran back screaming, “Call 911.”

“I’m sure he didn’t sleep that well,” she said. “One of the bikers that was there was still alive, but he didn’t make it ... He saw that part of it. So for sure, it’s hard to watch.”

The employee said fire crews and police were first to arrive on the scene, followed by an ambulance 10 to 12 minutes later. “It seemed like an eternity, but it actually was quick,” she said.

The employee said a man she believed to be associated with the motorcyclists came on Saturday to pick up their personal belongings, still strewn in front of the grounds. She said a tow truck later came to take away the damaged vehicles.

Police say the investigation into the collision is ongoing and an autopsy will be performed on the body of the deceased early next week.

That RV driver is looking to get whacked

I saw this blurb on CityTv and the way they slanted it by saying various bikers even some from Hells Angels.
WTF!!! They have no real idea what occurred yet but they are ready to make it seem like it was good that the HA rider died.

Once the story came out it seemed like the riders tried to pass as a group, two of them tangled, both of them crashed, and the rest of the group became involved because of their proximity. The RV was just driving along minding it's own business, aside from apparently being in their way and worthy of trying to execute a dangerous pass to get around it...but of course, that's so commonplace it's hardly worth mentioning - people loose their mind driving behind a vehicle that isn't traveling 30-over anymore and will risk death to get around it, it seems. The odds were just against these guys, coupled with what seems to be an accident between two of them that triggered everything.

As I read it, the guy who passed away is the only one who actually came into contact with the RV; the rest piled into each other when the **** hit the fan.

Personally, an RV slowing as it approached an RV Park would be a "this guy may be turning" warning sign....

Surprised this type of bike pile up doesn't happen more often. If a lead bike in a group riding too close dumps it then no one has proper reaction time and everyone gets caught up in the mess.

I was on the 407 riding along with traffic at about 115 - 120km and could see a large group of riders coming up fast in the left lane. Was a group of OPP bikes, maybe 20 or so, riding 2 to a lane and about 5 ft apart in perfect formation, doing 140km+. Maybe Golden Helmets on a practice run. Impressive riding skill, but I thought it was insane to be doing 40 km over the limit and be less then 5' apart back to front and side to side. One rider goes down and everyone is toast. Not to mention that anyone else riding like this would get a "stunt driving" charge and have their bike pulled for a week.

The OPP's riding formation is, to me, a pretty good definition of insanity. On a public road, I don't want anyone else in my lane, and I don't care how well trained they are. Plenty of "do as I say, not as I do" in both the formation and the speed ...

Overtaking a vehicle in group formation is a bad, bad idea.

The OPP's riding formation is, to me, a pretty good definition of insanity. On a public road, I don't want anyone else in my lane, and I don't care how well trained they are. Plenty of "do as I say, not as I do" in both the formation and the speed ...

Amen

Too bad there isn't a video. What a great learning experience it could be on how NOT to ride in a group. A concept totally lost on real bikers and wanna be bikers. Sometimes you just end up being a victim of your own ignorance.

Surprised this type of bike pile up doesn't happen more often. If a lead bike in a group riding too close dumps it then no one has proper reaction time and everyone gets caught up in the mess.

I was on the 407 riding along with traffic at about 115 - 120km and could see a large group of riders coming up fast in the left lane. Was a group of OPP bikes, maybe 20 or so, riding 2 to a lane and about 5 ft apart in perfect formation, doing 140km+. Maybe Golden Helmets on a practice run. Impressive riding skill, but I thought it was insane to be doing 40 km over the limit and be less then 5' apart back to front and side to side. One rider goes down and everyone is toast. Not to mention that anyone else riding like this would get a "stunt driving" charge and have their bike pulled for a week.
Yeah I've seen one of those OPP formations of 20 bikes that all zoomed past in the opposite direction on the QEW in pouring rain challenging enough for a car...it was crazy

They should be charged with stunting!

If it was Toronto, i'd wager a large number of the riding crew would not have hung back...

Another reason to avoid those harley trains

Another reason to avoid those harley trains

So, for fear of starting yet another sport bike versus cruiser argument, here's a question for you and others – do you NEVER ride with anybody? And if you do, do you ride in any sort of formation?

It's been my experience that groups of sport bike riders either ride in a similar standard staggered formation, or they just go whenever wherever in no particular fashion or lane position.

Which one does everyone consider safer?

It's been my experience that groups of sport bike riders either ride in a similar standard staggered formation, or they just go whenever wherever in no particular fashion or lane position. Which one does everyone consider safer?

Sportbike rider. Staggered. When in sweepers or twisties, single file, then back to staggered. Pretty much the safest way to ride with others.

So, for fear of starting yet another sport bike versus cruiser argument, here's a question for you and others – do you NEVER ride with anybody? And if you do, do you ride in any sort of formation?

It's been my experience that groups of sport bike riders either ride in a similar standard staggered formation, or they just go whenever wherever in no particular fashion or lane position.

Many of the groups of harleys I see (not all) ride OPP style with 2 riders beside each other. Most import cruisers and sport bikes I see (not all) ride staggered to give everyone more space.

There is never a good reason to ride close enough to another bike that you can contact them before you have a chance to react. If anyone rides that close to me, I alter my ride to get my space back (sometimes faster, sometimes slower, whatever works).

Well you see, there's two type's of SS bikes out there; super sport & super squid. It shouldn't be to difficult to suss out who rides staggered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom