Hello and annoying newbie questions :-) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello and annoying newbie questions :-)

Rosbif

Hi everyone, new to the forum, new to bikes. I'm taking my M1 exit next weekend, so it's getting real now, and I am getting excited!

I've been trawling the net and the forum to avoid repeating too many newbie questions, but I guess I still have a couple. Figure I'm looking for a 500cc, so a CB500 or GS500 look good. I feel like I prefer the Honda, but there are far more Suzukis on Kijiji, so I'll probably end up getting one of them as I want to get some riding in this season. Sound good? Or is the Ninja 300 worth a look?

Insurance looks fine (I'm 41, so Echelon is quoting about $80-90/month for the abovementioned), but my biggest worry is actually buying the thing. I used to help my Dad tinker with cars back in the 90s, but not done anything mechanical since then, so should I take someone experienced with me to buy a bike? I just don't know anyone, that's my problem. And then it appears that I won't be able to ride it away as I'll need to get plates for it. So is a trailer the only option?

Sorry for so many questions so early on in my forum career, but apart from asking the guys at the course next week, this is my best source of info for now.

Thanks!
Rosbif

You can have the seller deliver it, ie ride it to your place.

Things to look for in a used bike. Crash or drag marks, if it was put down there will be scratches on the handlebars, pegs & body work. Look behind the fairings for cracks & marks. Look for oil leaks & where they might be coming from.

Welcome to the forum @Rosbif!
There are a few guys on here that may be willing to join you after you have armed yourself with a little knowledge. And for a small fee, you may be able to convince them to bring their trailer. Also, check our classifieds here for long time members that are selling.

Thread hijack-- anyone notice that the older newbs are all looking at used bikes and *most* of the youngins are looking at new?
Hijack over

Good job looking at quotes in advance as well.
Don't be afraid of higher milage as long as maintenance has been done.
Good luck.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Welcome!

The only thing I can add is that if you're willing to spend the time to learn to do the maintenance and repairs, there is more diy information out there than ever before. If you need to fix it, it's probably on Youtube.

You can always use Uhaul if the other ideas don't pan out

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

At some point make sure you ride it of have someone that rides that you can trust ride it before handing over cash.

This is my checklist:

Before starting:
- Crash damage (tank dents, steering locks, swing-arm damage)
- Tank interior (clean vs rusted)
- Electrical (lights, horn, etc)
- Oil level
- Chain condition
- Suspension & brakes (sit on the bike, hold the front brake and rock back and forth)
- Tire wear
- ENGINE COLD (otherwise walk away)

During starting:
- Smokey exhaust (piston rings damaged)
- Choke operation

Running:
- Proper idle / Warm up time
- Clutch/gears (if on center-stand, otherwise go for a test drive or have the owner go out)

Most importantly don't be intimidated, it's OK to walk away. I made the mistake of buying the first bike I saw, thing didn't even run. A vehicle is a major purchase, if you have to piss off a couple guys on kijiji then that's how it goes. As for getting it home either find/rent a friend with a pickup, ramp and tie-downs or rent a trailer from U-Haul for $20.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, guys! Really appreciate it.

I saw someone offering to ride it over, does that basically mean after they drop it off, you give them a lift back to their place in your car?

I'm definitely not going to buy the first one I see. Check out a few on my own and then see if I can convince an old hand to join me when I see one I like. smc and Rockerguy, those lists really help, thanks!

You will arrange it with the seller. Either they will want a ride home or they will arrange to come with someone. Everything is negotiable.

At least one point for the CBR500R is they haven't been around that long, and are a modern bike...so if it is low mileage I doubt there is much if anything beyond oil changes and chain lubing that will need to be done to it for a very long while (probably until it hits close to 20,000km). It also has optional ABS, whereas the GS500 would not.

As for the GS500, I don't know much, but I think it might be faster/make more hp, but is also a carburated and potentially even air cooled engine. This could mean a lot more tinkering to keep it running well, but I'm not 100% on any of that so maybe any past owners could chime in.

As for the Ninja 300R, I'd say try it. The bike is lighter and has either better or close to the same power to weight as the CBR500R if memory serves.

Figure out how much you want to spend, and don't forget to factor in gear if you don't have it already.

As already mentioned, look for damage to the bike if it went down, rust, scratches, chain and sprocket condition etc. Personally, I wouldn't ever buy a 250/300, unless you plan to hang onto that thing forever. It's just way too down on power, and most riders will get bored of that in a couple months and find themselves shopping for a new unit in a year...then you just end up taking a hit on deprecation and taxes.

If you are new to bikes, I'd probably lean into getting something on the newer side and with few aftermarket modifications. Get to know a stock motorbike...u don't need to be trying to figure out why the previous owner zip-tied a family of wires together after they installed some flashy lights and *****.

Good luck.

As for the GS500, I don't know much, but I think it might be faster/make more hp, but is also a carburated and potentially even air cooled engine. This could mean a lot more tinkering to keep it running well, but I'm not 100% on any of that so maybe any past owners could chime in.

Yes, the GS500 is an air cooled, carbureted twin, develops about 50hp. There's nothing wrong with considering a well cared for example. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, lots of fun.

As for the Ninja 300R, I'd say try it. The bike is lighter and has either better or close to the same power to weight as the CBR500R if memory serves.

A slightly better power to weight for the Honda. If you're interested solely in horsepower numbers, about 39hp for the little Ninja, 47hp for the CB500R/F/X.

via Tapatalk

During starting:
- Smokey exhaust (piston rings damaged)
- Choke operation

Keep in mind that on a carb'd bike some smoke on the initial startup may not be abnormal...especially if the choke is being used. Colour of the smoke on cold start can be more telling in this case - black smoke is just running rich (lots of choke or carb may need to be setup better), white smoke is the one to be concerned about, that would indicate it's consuming oil.

Just inquiring regarding; exhaust colours and potentially related problems.

My understanding was;

Blackish - likely rich fuel mixture

White - antifreeze burning; head gasket, or worse.

Blueish - rings

Is this accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just inquiring regarding; exhaust colours and potentially related problems.

My understanding was;

Blackish - likely rich fuel mixture

White - antifreeze burning; head gasket, or worse.

Blueish - rings or valve seals; crankcase breather etc.. depends on when you see the smoke; this is oil consumption

Is this accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. There are also differing smells, and it should be noted that condensation in the pipes could also lead to trace white "smoke" with no real problem to speak of.. Experience is big in detecting problem through touch/sight/smell when they're not blatantly obvious

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input guys. I'm feeling you were steering me towards the Honda CB500 series and straight after my M1 exit course last weekend, I went out and saw three CBR500Rs and just got one delivered to my home yesterday. I am super excited!!

2013 model with ABS, under 6000km, top condition, CA$4600 - a way better deal than anything else I've seen on the internet. I'm kind of suspicious as to what is wrong with it. Or maybe I'm just naive and it's not that good a deal. Anyway, after an illicit trundle round the neighbourhood this morning (getting the plate tomorrow), everything seems in order. Can't wait to take it out for a proper run tomorrow :-D

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm feeling you were steering me towards the Honda CB500 series and straight after my M1 exit course last weekend, I went out and saw three CBR500Rs and just got one delivered to my home yesterday. I am super excited!!

2013 model with ABS, under 6000km, top condition, CA$4600 - a way better deal than anything else I've seen on the internet. I'm kind of suspicious as to what is wrong with it. Or maybe I'm just naive and it's not that good a deal. Anyway, after an illicit trundle round the neighbourhood this morning (getting the plate tomorrow), everything seems in order. Can't wait to take it out for a proper run tomorrow :-D

Congrats! Remember, slow and steady. You've got lost of learning ahead of you ;)

Congrats! Remember, slow and steady. You've got lost of learning ahead of you ;)

Don't worry Neil V, I'm not going to go crazy. I totally understand how inexperienced I am. I just want to actually get over 65kph for the first time!

Back
Top Bottom