Adopting a dog vs Breeder | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adopting a dog vs Breeder

I've only ever had "papered" labs, paid a lot for them but in the game we play (retriever trials), they have to be UKC registered.

Growing up it was labs too, purebred but "oopsie" pregnancies so didn't pay that much for them.

I think it's a crap shoot. Bought a $10000 civic in the 90s that I put $10000 into in 4 years. Bought a $25000 prelude that I put $300 into around the same time. I was told they were both bulletproof. Civic was scrapped, sold the prelude for $12000.

Not surprised by abandoned pets. Was dealing with an "old age home" recently and they say there are places that want a major deposit when accepting a new resident. Why? Cause the senior could potentially be left there and abandoned. So if people are going to do that to their parent, a pet is even easier.

I've only ever had "papered" labs, paid a lot for them but in the game we play (retriever trials), they have to be UKC registered.

Growing up it was labs too, purebred but "oopsie" pregnancies so didn't pay that much for them.

I think it's a crap shoot. Bought a $10000 civic in the 90s that I put $10000 into in 4 years. Bought a $25000 prelude that I put $300 into around the same time. I was told they were both bulletproof. Civic was scrapped, sold the prelude for $12000.

we were 'papered' Labs for a long time, a really good dog from a known breeder as a gun dog is a small car pricetag, and even then we had some duds. Yes there is the money back guarantee, the dog could eat 3 sofas and chew the leather wheel out of a car, blow both ACL and have displasia and gum disease and it was NEVER going back. They are family.

Got a purebred Airedale terrier from a breeder, papers and all.
Lived to be 13 years old without any issues.
Just saying...

This thread was supposed to be for my friend, but now I'm considering myself adopting thanks to all the stories.

The friend is set on buying from the breeder. I'm beginning to realize it may not be as unethical as I initially thought it was to buy from a breeder, if at all.

My parents have a chow chow back in Istanbul. I may bring it here IF I get along with the dog.

My parents have a chow chow back in Istanbul. I may bring it here IF I get along with the dog.

I was in Istanbul last October, and had a stray follow my brother and I around for a couple of hours in Beşiktaş, where he lives. We stopped for dinner, ended up buying the dog a plate of rice and shawarma. My brother ended up bringing it home, giving it a bath, a vet checkup, and now it's family.

The one thing that really impressed me about Istanbul is how the restaurants all save their scraps, and feed the strays. I was at one patio restaurant in Pendik, and my brother gave a cat a chicken finger, but the cat wanted nothing to do with it. The waiter came up and said "he likes it with the spicy mayo dip". Sure enough, dipped in the spicy mayo, the cat ate it up.

This thread was supposed to be for my friend, but now I'm considering myself adopting thanks to all the stories.

If you're seriously considering a rescue/adoption, take a look at Dog Tales Rescue and Sanctuary. www.dogtales.ca

If I recall correctly, it's a couple with some money, got tired of the corporate life, so they bought 50 acres north of Toronto, and travel the world rescuing pets from horrible conditions. I think they even brought over a bunch of labs from Istanbul last year.

I may bring it here IF I get along with the dog.

Chows are great dogs, but not for everyone and their temperament has to be right. We have two, they are 1/2 brothers and adorable. As my children are almost grown they have become my wife's surrogate "Chowdren"

Our two are actually certified therapy dogs which is pretty uncommon for sure. They have fantastic temperments, but they canb still get worked up over squirrels, chipmunks and leaves :)

Chows are great dogs, but not for everyone and their temperament has to be right. We have two, they are 1/2 brothers and adorable. As my children are almost grown they have become my wife's surrogate "Chowdren"

Our two are actually certified therapy dogs which is pretty uncommon for sure. They have fantastic temperments, but they canb still get worked up over squirrels, chipmunks and leaves :)

Wow... That is unusual (and very cool). Most of the Chows I have met in my life have either been one person dogs or very much only wanted contact with their family.

If you're seriously considering a rescue/adoption, take a look at Dog Tales Rescue and Sanctuary. www.dogtales.ca

If I recall correctly, it's a couple with some money, got tired of the corporate life, so they bought 50 acres north of Toronto, and travel the world rescuing pets from horrible conditions. I think they even brought over a bunch of labs from Istanbul last year.

Wow... Some amazing dogs there needing homes. I know someone who always has a few
[COLOR=rgba(35, 35, 35, 0.701961)]Chihuahuas and rescues them and typically loves them the rest of their lives. She just lost her 5 year old that she adopted knowing it had a serious heart condition. Both the purebred and the mix would do well with her. I will forward her this site. [/COLOR]​

They have fantastic temperments, but they canb still get worked up over squirrels, chipmunks and leaves :)

Doesn't matter what it is, it's either fast or it dies.

[video=youtube;t8CgjBL_9OU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CgjBL_9OU[/video]

[video=youtube;Qe4wzm3XonU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4wzm3XonU[/video]

Back
Top Bottom