Adopting a dog vs Breeder | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adopting a dog vs Breeder

Ugur Dinch

Site Supporter
A friend is looking to get a German Shorthaired Pointer, which brings the discussion of adopting (if he can find one) vs buying from a breeder.

From an animal-lover's perspective, I know I'd adopt, but the friend is insisting that he will be spending the next 10+ years with the dog, so better get an animal that has no issues(?).

What do you guys think is the right way to go?

I currently own a dog and have owned dogs my whole life.
At one point we used our house as a halfway point for dogs.
All my dogs have been rescued and they all need homes.
Pure bred does not necessarily mean it will be problem free and alot of times they actually are worse depending on whom you get them from.
Things like
Over breeding
In breeding
Farming the same problem

I say in my opinion give a dog a home and pure bred or not, they will all love you the same and you them.

Me personally I love mixes and find them interesting. Mixing breeds is how you eliminate trouble issues.

Having said that, my sister has pure bred dogs (her first ones now)
She used to have mixes too.

There is no right or wrong answer.

His logic/reasoning is incorrect though. Even the best breeders with great bloodlines/genetics can produce dogs with health issues.

The biggest difference between going to a breeder and adopting is: getting a puppy (with no life experiences) vs. getting a dog that's older to some degree.

Pro's and con's to both. Whichever is the better fit. There is no guarantee either way.

I have two dogs, an adopted (rescued) unknown mix and a pure bred Golden from high-end breeder.

Feed them right, give them proper exercise, socialize them, and raise them with love and positive reinforcement and you'll get a great dog.

And if he's not capable of dealing with "issues" he shouldn't be getting a dog. Here are some things I've gone through:

Paw lacerations - unknown cause (x2)
Chest laceration - barbed wire
Stick impaled abdomen - running through forest
Stitches & hematoma - attacked by other dog
Giardia - from 'doggy day care' (x3)
Canine Oral Papilloma - from 'doggy day care'
Urinary tract infection
Ear infection
Ticks
Hot spot - antibiotic & steroids were required
Skunked
Stepped on & collapsed wasp nest - got swarmed, stopped, dropped, rolled - I had to run in and carry him out - I got swarmed, was actually really scary and painful!

I'm sure there is more, those just came to mind right away. I do go out and do a lot with them. Of coarse you can get a dog, stay inside, and only leash walk in your neighborhood. But if that's what appeals - get a cat! :)

I have had both...

Our previous Pug was Lucy who we were lucky lived to 12 very loved years with us. We spent two years researching breeders and met her uncle and aunt and decided to get her from a particular breeder.

-By one year old she had two different Opthomologists who managed to save her eye. For the rest of her life it was constant checkups and daily eyedrops.
-Multiple episodes of knee problems.
-Allergies and hot spots.
-Tons of "backward sneezes" which is known for bracheocephalic dogs.
-Cancer diagnosis at age 9 which led to a few surgeries and then we decided to put her on good pain management and just loved the snot out of her until we lost her.

So... We lost Lucy last January, then my Father-In-Law, then several aunts, my wife got diagnosed with M.S. etc. Could not stand the way things were going. Lucy often attended "PugALug" events so I started to watch the dogs which came into the system.

This poor guy was put into rescue and stayed in this box the entire first day. The story broke my heart because I felt the same way at the time. I had followed his journey from when they first talked about this incoming gentle giant (as far as Pugs go he is huge; especially compared to Lucy who was tiny):

So, I put in the application with references etc and we were lucky enough to get chosen for a home visit and ultimately he became our dog when the adoption became finalized.

This big fella was a beacon of light in what was a dark year:

He took his time getting used to us and it took a good 8 months for him to really be "ours". I had no idea what his words were for going to the bathroom etc.

I have all of his vet records but I have no idea who bred him etc. He was 8 when we got him and I always told him that he was "8 and great" and now he is "9 and fine". Poor bugger had fleas twice in his life and was mauled by another dog at 5 and almost lost his eye. Expensive eye drops again and I watch that eye which is probably 90% blind like a hawk. Guy is robust though. Has allergies but we have learned a lot from them.

I look forward to getting home from work every day so I can spend a couple hours just chilling with him. He actually loves other dogs even though he was badly mauled. Just loves dogs and children. So... We would love to get him a buddy but the ongoing debate. I would love to adopt another dog. My wife wants another black Pug puppy... Gah... I hated the puppy training. Multiple grades of dog school which was enjoyable and every progression Lucy made was something to celebrate. Then again... It sure is nice to give a good dog a good home and just have them settle in. I can't fix the crap that happened in this Pug's life before we adopted him; but we sure can make his golden years as good as they can be.

There are lots of lovable mutts out there who need good homes. However, there are also a lot of breed specific rescues and there are amazing dogs in these places needing homes. One of the supervisors at my work lost his Newfoundlander and adopted one from "NewFriends" or something like that which is a Newfoundlander rescue. He also rescued a Burmese Mountain Dog from a Burmese rescue group. Great way to have your cake and eat it too. Get the breed you want and you have an idea going in what their health situation is.

I know that Buddy will not be with us super long but I know to value and treasure every moment with him. When Lucy got her cancer diagnosis I made a point to enjoy every moment with her. Tears flow easily if I linger on her pictures too long but the healing is coming along.

A puppy is no guarantee of a long life with a dog. I have seen a lot of people lose dogs at a young age due to some weird genetic issue or something or other. At least we got 12 years with Lucy. Sad how many dogs die before 5 (although I see a lot less of that with the mutts).

Last edited:
I enjoyed your story Zoodles! Thanks for sharing and loved the pics! You're a good owner, get yourself a grumble of pugs! (I just wanted to say grumble of pugs) :)

Dog people are A-oK in my books.

And if he's not capable of dealing with "issues" he shouldn't be getting a dog. Here are some things I've gone through:

Paw lacerations - unknown cause (x2)
Chest laceration - barbed wire
Stick impaled abdomen - running through forest
Stitches & hematoma - attacked by other dog
Giardia - from 'doggy day care' (x3)
Canine Oral Papilloma - from 'doggy day care'
Urinary tract infection
Ear infection
Ticks
Hot spot - antibiotic & steroids were required
Skunked
Stepped on & collapsed wasp nest - got swarmed, stopped, dropped, rolled - I had to run in and carry him out - I got swarmed, was actually really scary and painful!

I'm sure there is more, those just came to mind right away. I do go out and do a lot with them. Of coarse you can get a dog, stay inside, and only leash walk in your neighborhood. But if that's what appeals - get a cat! :)

No offense but a few of those sound like carelessness on the owner's part...

Also make sure you're "breeder" isn't actually running a puppy mill. Just as inhumane as factory farming and zoos.

Last edited:

None taken. I know exactly the type of owner I am. I'd ask you to elaborate, but honesty I don't care. Thanks for your concern, I'll give them both a big hug and kiss for you. :)

Typically... mutts are healthier.

Is your friend looking to have a pet, or intend to work the dog?
If they are determined to have a GSP as a pet... they can look for a failed working dog.

Over the years we've had breeder dogs with and without papers, and rescue dogs, all of various ages at the time we got them. I can't say any were less "problem-prone" than the other, except perhaps for a couple of rescue dogs sometimes having personality and anxiety issues that we either had to adjust to to ourselves, or that we had to try to adjust in the dogs.

Rescue dogs are sometimes strays that were abandoned whether for behaviour or medical issues or affordability issues, loved pets that lost and never claimed, dogs seized by authorities for animal abuse, or dogs from shuttered puppy mills. As such they may be more prone to suffer from the effects of previous owner abuse, neglect, medical conditions, or simple tragedy. You need to look hard at a rescue dog to see what issues it may have and if you will be able to handle the needs of the dog.

My current dog is a doberman rescue, almost three years old when we got him. He used to belong to a woman who died in her home, and they figure he stayed with her for almost three weeks before someone finally found her dead in the home and the dog near starvation. That dog was badly messed up as far as general and separation anxiety went.

He's plenty gentle enough and has gotten a lot better over the years as far as anxiety goes, but it's still obvious from certain behavioural traits that the dog has suffered and is still affected by that trauma. I don't regret getting him, have had "problem" rescues in past, and will keep getting rescue dogs in future. But a puppy (whether breeder dog or mutt) might be a lot easier for most would-be new dog owners as you won't have to deal with as many potential preexisting conditions and will be better able to bond to and shape a puppy's personality and behaviour.

Last edited:
well you've already demonstrated a certain level of carelessness so this doesn't surprise me.

OK, I'll bite. How have you been able to discern my negligence based on no information?

I expect a one line reply with nothing constructive, try to surprise me.

And does your opinion hold more weight than my professional support/consultants (vets, trainers)? Like if they've said everything is good, and I do a fantastic job, they're wrong?

Here are the love's of my life, Lucy & Trooper:

177_zpsba22cfe3.jpg

023_zpsrjgoktv0.jpg

177_zpsba22cfe3.jpg

023_zpsrjgoktv0.jpg
Beautiful! They look the very picture of healthy, happy, well loved dogs.
Negligence, pffft! Pull out the bubble wrap!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Also make sure you're "breeder" isn't actually running a puppy mill. Just as inhumane as factory farming and zoos.
Some may sound like that at first glance. However, for someone whose dogs are very active and out in the forest or country a fair bit these things can happen. Just walk your dog on the sidewalk? Not a lot of chance of a tick, a wasps nest etc. In the woods though there are protruding sticks which can get in a dogs eye, animals galore, porcupines which can get startled etc.

Dog parks are a great place to socialize your dog. However, like any community if some nutter beings his/her unstable dog and does not have it muzzled then another dog might get in an unintended fight and get injured.

I took Lucy in the woods and to dog parks as much as I could. I was as careful as I could be to protect her but i felt the exercise and socialization was important for her quality of life.

I have met enough dog owners who lead very active lives with their dogs. The dogs out doing more things are more at risk for lacerations and injuries than the apartment dogs or ones that walk the sidewalks. Does not mean that their owners are bad or irresponsible. What would make me sad is a very active breed like a Border Collie or Australian Sheppard being stuck with little exercise or stimulation. There are a lot of dogs like that in shelters because they get bored and then chew the sofa or some other thing because of stress. These sort of breeds need work, exercise, and stimulation. Amazing dogs but they are not for everybody.

177_zpsba22cfe3.jpg

023_zpsrjgoktv0.jpg
Those pictures clearly show why there have been some injuries. They are out and about in the country which is why they are exposed to potential environmental and animal risks which the city dog is far less likely to encounter. Beautiful dogs which are lucky to have such a loving and caring owner. ☺??

This is good advice...

This is Lucy saying hello to her Mommy on the other side of the gate (of course this is at an early meeting before we knew she was the right dog for us):

I wish they would just ban dog sales at pet stores. Perhaps have some rescues for sale there with a percentage going to the store? I know that is not ideal either but without pet stores taking these puppy mill dogs perhaps some more of these degenerates would shut down.

Any dog is a huge financial and time commitment. You should research the breeder, meet the Mom and Dad (or at least one at get info on the other) and see where they are being raised. Lucy's breeder had the dogs in her home in a cordoned off area and the family interacted with all the puppies. That can make a huge difference in their development.

This is good advice...

This is Lucy saying hello to her Mommy on the other side of the gate (of course this is at an early meeting before we knew she was the right dog for us):

I wish they would just ban dog sales at pet stores. Perhaps have some rescues for sale there with a percentage going to the store? I know that is not ideal either but without pet stores taking these puppy mill dogs perhaps some more of these degenerates would shut down.

Any dog is a huge financial and time commitment. You should research the breeder, meet the Mom and Dad (or at least one at get info on the other) and see where they are being raised. Lucy's breeder had the dogs in her home in a cordoned off area and the family interacted with all the puppies. That can make a huge difference in their development.

Already in effect :)

http://www.citynews.ca/2011/09/21/toronto-bans-the-sale-of-cats-and-dogs-in-pet-stores/

Back
Top Bottom