West Virginia routes/roads/campgrounds/things to see? | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Virginia routes/roads/campgrounds/things to see?

regder

Site Supporter
Probably going to head there tomorrow. Appreciate any advice if you have laid out routes, specific roads, or campgrounds

You going to blitz there....?? I like to take 77 down ....QEW, cross at the Peace Bridge and head along the lake west

https://goo.gl/maps/Nz3KgkD2Mup

- will be cooler along the lake then go 77 south
far less traffic and you should get into Seneca Rocks area by end of longish day.

Screenshot2014-10-27atOct272014613_zpsa4c3e34f.jpeg

Screenshot2014-10-26atOct262014902_zpsdf78a8d9.jpeg

Lots of good riding in the area, Back of the Dragon etc.
Some low cost motels and you are close to the BRP too. You could hang up in Ohio and do the triple nickel then move on.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...irginia-weekend-Oct-25th-suggestions-for-base

Last edited:
Ride up to the top of Spruce Knob and also check out Smoke Hole Rd.
Most of the other good roads you can see on any map.

Last time I was down there a few months ago, I found some small and very run down place with really friendly owners for $30/night. It was off the 250 on some road called Potomac highlands road or something...

I'm on my phone away from home or I would send you a route.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, got back a little bit ago.

Day 1 - Took 62 from 219 to I79 and interstate the rest of the way. Somehow a bee stung the inside my right thigh through my jeans somewhere along 62. Got me good too, still have a 3" area of swelling around the bite. Was dodging rain the entire day, but by some miracle didn't get actually rained on until I pulled up to Seneca Shadows Campground. Of course it continued to rain for a solid 30 minutes as I was setting up camp, and rained a few more times during the night. Stayed at one of the walk in sites that are in the middle of a field, but spread out. Got amazing stars at night, and woke up with a view of Seneca Rocks, not bad.

Day 2 - Noticed my back tire, Shinko 705, was wearing a lot quicker than I was expecting. Started the trip with about 4mm of tread, was down to about 2mm after 900km, not sure if it would make it back. Did Spruce Knob, Smoke Hole Rd, and 33 from Franklin to Harrisonburg. 33 had a short stretch that was absolutely phenomenal, brand new pavement with switchback after switchback, wish it lasted longer. I was already wet from an earlier rain, and heavy storm clouds coming in from South and West so figured I would start to make my way back North on the Interstate. Rain caught up with me around Strasburg, VA. Absolutely poured for about 90 minutes, while I waited it out in a McDonalds. Stopped in Bedford, PA. Tried one campground which ended up being 90% mud, stayed at a Travelodge instead.

Day 3 - Nothing special, 99% dry through the day, just a light sprinkle. Tire made it home, even a hair of tread left on it.

Ugur, took the V-Strom pack mule :)

Oh look, it's pouring

0rVdhVll.jpg

About to rain again, note my jeans drying on the back seat from the rain above.

XvoZgOxl.jpg

Last edited:
We were trying to ride the Claw of the Dragon in the West Virginia/Virginia on the first week of July. First day was great on the down to Winchester, 2nd day morning was also great too riding RT50 from East to West, but it started to rain after lunch. Forecast was calling all week rain so we called it a quit and rode back from Charleston, WV to Williamsport Pa in the rain for 8 hours! Some spot were heavy and foggy too up in the mountains.

Weather is not the greatest for this year down South so far.

Back
Top Bottom