GPS for Motorbikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS for Motorbikes

$50-100 is a big expenditure !!!???.....yet you cling to $600 standalone one trick pony tech.
And most people already own a smartphone.

Don't talk about value for money - you don't know what you are talking about.

$50-100 is a big expenditure !!!???.....yet you cling to $600 standalone one trick pony tech.
And most people already own a smartphone.

Don't talk about value for money - you don't know what you are talking about.
Not sure that was directed at me. If it was...my gps is a $100 765Garmin...My phone bill (no data) is less than $200 annually.I don't believe in smartphone bull.Just my honest opinion tho.

And a GPS works well.I refuse to fall into the trap of having to have the latest,fastest,most expensive technology for everything.I wonder what the percentage of people like me still using old dino cell phones is? I have better places to spend my money than throwing it at tech giants like Samsung or Apple.

Racechrono is a free ap. I use it on the phone I got for free. Some people get a little GPS booster dongle if their phone is a bit older to make the pings more accurate. Yesteryear technology is ultra cheap and still capable.

I don't think Garmin GPS devices do what the OP is looking for.

Lol, subscribed

Not really, most gps apps are not optimized for racing with lap times and ability to download tracks and much more.

Here are the top 10 GPS apps according to this article, none of them can be used for racing, unless you are trying to get to the track.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-gps-app-and-navigation-app-for-android-357870/

but sure ... click click click ;)
My response above was to your comment below.

Except that GPS is GPS...so any GPS app will do what the OP wants..

I have a smart phone, but I like redundant systems. getting my $89. clearance CTC/ garmin sunbaked and wet is ok, getting my phone wet really interfers with my day. Sure my phone can be replaced for $100 when the time comes, but that time for my phone to crap out isn't friday nite in Saskatchewan because then I dont get a new one for days.
Im putting my GPS in a SW mottech bag, touchscreen works and the SW has a hood that allows better daytime view of a cheap GPS.

This is what I have. Garmin Nuvi 2555LM ($100 refurbished from Tigerdirect in burlington,
and $50 RAM "mount" from gpscity.ca. Be aware RAM "mount" is modular, so you need to order 3 pieces - the unit cradle, the clamp, and "ball" swivel (or whatever its called).

I have not hacked my electrical system for charging, but this unit has a mini-USB socket, so its trivial to charge like a cellphone off a wall charger (coffee shop, hotel, etc).

The only caveat - my setup is not waterproof. If you are a bike fiend, then you should get a waterproof GPS unit, or at least a w.p. case.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160824_074903.jpg
    IMG_20160824_074903.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 112
The only caveat - my setup is not waterproof. If you are a bike fiend, then you should get a waterproof GPS unit, or at least a w.p. case.

attachment.php

Ziplock bag and an elastic band. Waterproof ghetto. Ftw ?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Well. I should have listened to the chaps at RadioWorld in Toronto.
They said that I would go through several gps devices built for cars, and eventually buy one made for motorcycles. Guess what. In 60,000km I broke two Garmins, and a TomTom.
So I bought a TomTom Rider 400.
My advice - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will NEVER see your GPS co-ordinates. I know. A GPS device that never gives gps co-ordinates. Weird or what!

Entering GPS co-ordinates will only give you a destination IF TomTom knows of something at those co-ordinates. TomTom does not know a lot. So entering GPS co-ordinates rarely gives a meaningful and accurate destination.

TomTom takes a while to understand where you are. This is really annoying at junctions, turns and roundabouts. I have even seen my TomTom CHANGE IT'S MIND about which junction to take.
One example was in Heidelberg, when crossing a bridge. No tall buildings nearby. TomTom clearly told me to take the left turn on the other side of the bridge. Halfway across the bridge, TomTom changed it's mind. Told me I should have taken the left BEFORE the bridge. Truth.

Entering an address is a risky business. TomTom can be 100metres or more out of the correct location.

And whatever you do, make sure you UPDATE your maps BEFORE you go on the road. TomTom updates are 6Gigs or more. Try that in an iffy location, say Isle of Islay. Where download speeds are INTERMITTENT and 12Megs at best. TomTom state that you need 20Meg download speeds as a minimum! hahahahahahaha. Idiots. Obviously designed by Mommy's boys, who still live in the basement in some suburbian location.

TomTom ASSUMES you have your mobile phone connected to your gps ALL THE TIME. Obviously, the programmers have never been to Britain, where coverage is spotty at best.
Nor have they been to North America, where vast tracts of land are without a mobile phone signal.

Talking of coverage, some time in 2013, TomTom took off all the street names in Ukraine. I kid you not. Today, you can see streets in Ukraine, but not their names.

OK. So maybe you don't want to go to cheap and fun Ukraine. Morocco? Sorry. The stupid Dutch programmers have maps for Morocco that do not work on the Rider 400. My Rider 400 is less than 6mths old. Still. On the good side. Why would I pay 49GBP for a Moroccan map?

Want to add Points of Interest? Best of luck. Garmin accepts a regular CSV file. TomTom wants a specific format, for which you need to download a conversion program. And that is just the good news.

And while the Rider 400 works without a ziplock bag, rain on the screen will change the map, every now and again. You will never know when. But the map will change at the most inconvenient moment.

SHORT VERSION: Never, ever, buy a TomTom!

ADDENDUM: My last update of the Rider 400 was the last day of 2016. Tried updating today, 2017/1/19, to no avail. Guess TomTom have given up on the Rider 400. So 400GBP bought me 6mths of so-so TomTom directions. Guess lifetime updates is dependent upon TomTom's definition of lifetime.

Last edited:
Yikes. I'm pretty sure they used to be better than that

I have a magellan in one car and a tomtom in the other, the magellan is just 'ok' when compared to the garmin it replaced. The tomtom is my least favorite to use.

Well. I should have listened to the chaps at RadioWorld in Toronto.
They said that I would go through several gps devices built for cars, and eventually buy one made for motorcycles. Guess what. In 60,000km I broke two Garmins, and a TomTom.
So I bought a TomTom Rider 400.
My advice - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will NEVER see your GPS co-ordinates. I know. A GPS device that never gives gps co-ordinates. Weird or what!

Entering GPS co-ordinates will only give you a destination IF TomTom knows of something at those co-ordinates. TomTom does not know a lot. So entering GPS co-ordinates rarely gives a meaningful and accurate destination.

TomTom takes a while to understand where you are. This is really annoying at junctions, turns and roundabouts. I have even seen my TomTom CHANGE IT'S MIND about which junction to take.
One example was in Heidelberg, when crossing a bridge. No tall buildings nearby. TomTom clearly told me to take the left turn on the other side of the bridge. Halfway across the bridge, TomTom changed it's mind. Told me I should have taken the left BEFORE the bridge. Truth.

Entering an address is a risky business. TomTom can be 100metres or more out of the correct location.

And whatever you do, make sure you UPDATE your maps BEFORE you go on the road. TomTom updates are 6Gigs or more. Try that in an iffy location, say Isle of Islay. Where download speeds are INTERMITTENT and 12Megs at best. TomTom state that you need 20Meg download speeds as a minimum! hahahahahahaha. Idiots. Obviously designed by Mommy's boys, who still live in the basement in some suburbian location.

TomTom ASSUMES you have your mobile phone connected to your gps ALL THE TIME. Obviously, the programmers have never been to Britain, where coverage is spotty at best.
Nor have they been to North America, where vast tracts of land are without a mobile phone signal.

Talking of coverage, some time in 2013, TomTom took off all the street names in Ukraine. I kid you not. Today, you can see streets in Ukraine, but not their names.

OK. So maybe you don't want to go to cheap and fun Ukraine. Morocco? Sorry. The stupid Dutch programmers have maps for Morocco that do not work on the Rider 400. My Rider 400 is less than 6mths old. Still. On the good side. Why would I pay 49GBP for a Moroccan map?

Want to add Points of Interest? Best of luck. Garmin accepts a regular CSV file. TomTom wants a specific format, for which you need to download a conversion program. And that is just the good news.

And while the Rider 400 works without a ziplock bag, rain on the screen will change the map, every now and again. You will never know when. But the map will change at the most inconvenient moment.

SHORT VERSION: Never, ever, buy a TomTom!

Hmm thanks for this. I'm still mulling over either a TomTom Rider or Zumo, but I am leaning towards the Zumo given a lot of things you have mentioned.

I would never ever do a map update or software update on a device while on the road. You are just asking for trouble. If it ain't broke don't fix it... at least while on a trip. Garmins updates are around 4.5 - 5 gigs, they come in pretty quick at work and home but then I have faster connections then what you will get at a hotel or most places with free wifi.

I used the Garmin Zumo 550, (found it on Kijij, (but you have to be fast as they don't last long on there..lol), I have now passed it along to a friend and he uses it.

As for comparison, For a few days I had both an older Garmin and a brand new Magellan, I was planning to update the garmin with. I returned the Magellan within 24 hours it was CRAP, I was running both at same and Garmin showed more direct and faster routes as default compared to the Magellan. Magellan seemed to be lost more than it knew where it was.

Updating a GPS at home, is OK if you do trips from home.

I have been on the road for months :)
And I bought the GPS whilst abroad. So no option to go home and run an update.

Last edited:
Made for the car, but works on the bike....

20160704_231307.jpg

I know, not what the OP was after.....

I did the same. Lasts some 20,000km.
Requires a dozen or so ziplock bags and similar in elastic bands.

Garmin USB connection is in a vulnerable position, and corrosion sets in. Plus connecting/disconnecting seems to damage to the pins, made more vulnerable by the corrosion.

TomTom has a better USB connection, but seems (IMHO) more prone to vibration damage.

Back
Top Bottom