GPS for Motorbikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS for Motorbikes

MacBrown

Hello everyone,
I am using an Eaglei product http://eagleigps.com/http://eagleigps.com/ for my truck GPS tracking. Can I get the similar one for my motorcycle? Is there a need for additional features? I would like to go for motorcycle racing, can I use GPS for racing? (I hadn’t started my practice yet). Which model of GPS is better for motorcycle, chargeable or battery powered GPS? What are the factors should be considered before getting a GPS for Motorbikes? Had anyone used the old truck GPS for your motorbikes?

The biggest issue with a car GPS is can you read the screen under direct sunlight. My old Magellan was almost useless when the sun was out, you could barely read the screen.

I've used car gps from day one

I use one of these...I had 2 of them from back before the smartphone era when standalone GPS units were more popular. They're both worth about $10 each now so I don't really care if they somehow get damaged, wet, or stolen. Screen visibility is decent in the sun - not perfect, but I can usually adjust the angle to make it decent, and (most importantly) the volume is crazy loud enough that I can actually hear it even on the 401 and through a fullface helmet.

Garmin-nuvi-255.jpg

Lots and lots of posts here over the years on gps for motorcycle. Some use phones. Not many phones or gps screens will work with gloves on. I use a Garmin 650 zumo. Very expensive still and really not worth that money.. . But I got mine years ago and have had good use of it. If I was looking today, I'd get a phone like the S5 or S6 active that has a "glove" mode and run gps software on it. Use a program to create a gpx route ( there's a few out there) if you are wanting to follow specific routes and not a get from A to B navigation.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I use an automotive Garmin Nuvi 56. It's inexpensive but I love how it shows where the gas stations are (Shell, Esso icons...). A litre bike has a small fuel tank so finding fuel is a priority for me. On Canada day I rode up to Sudbury in 8 hours of rain (did many Muskoka back roads) with a zip-lock bag over the GPS and it was fine (mind you it's tucked behind windshield so not even the zip-lock bag got wet). I'm not paying almost $1000 for a "motorcycle" GPS.

I think OP is asking about GPS tracking/telemetry, not GPS navigation

I use my iphone 6 with the Apple maps app, this is held on my bike with the RAM-X Mount, and charged through my battery tender extension quick release wires with a $15 USB charger by battery tender, that are directly connected to the battery. You can buy all the above minus the phone from Royal Distributors in Oshawa or GP Bikes.

Just did a NYC trip from Toronto, and rode in Manhattan for 2 days on this set up never a missed direction or wrong advise, it was awesome, felt like a Manhattan native going through all those streets, the best thing of the iPhone and Apple maps is that while riding you can listen to your tunes.

The iPhone Map

Once you start your route in the Apple App, you can turn the iPhone screen turned off on the long stretch of the highway when you know you don't need any direction for a while till your exit, and with a hit of the home button the map app come up without the need to unlock the phone. This is a really valuable feature, the phone does not need to unlock and the maps app comes up and functions on your lock screen.

The RAM X-Mount

This is an awesome holder very secure with a clean look, you can mount and remove your phone with-in seconds with out being cumbersome like the other holders.

The charger-Battery tender cables

This kept my phone at 100% during the trip while the Maps App was running and I was busting out some tunes.

Luxury of Rich sounding Tunes...

Shure 315 SE

Oh, and for me headphones I have the SHURE 315 SE which are noise cancelling/sound isolating these babies are very detailed with rich sound, on the highways with a beany I have great sound and also saves my ears from the high killer decibel levels of my own pipes. It also can take really clear calls on it's mic and remote wires, plus so you can turn your music on or off and adjust the volume with the remote.

Here below is my NYC road trip video, you will see the iPhone with the X-Mount in action in some shots.

Last edited:
I use my iphone 6 with the Apple maps app, this is held on my bike with the RAM-X Mount, and charged through my battery tender extension quick release wires with a $15 USB charger by battery tender, that are directly connected to the battery. You can buy all the above minus the phone from Royal Distributors in Oshawa or GP Bikes.

Just did a NYC trip from Toronto, and rode in Manhattan for 2 days on this set up never a missed direction or wrong advise, it was awesome, felt like a Manhattan native going through all those streets, the best thing of the iPhone and Apple maps is that while riding you can listen to your tunes.

The iPhone Map

Once you start your route in the Apple App, you can turn the iPhone screen turned off on the long stretch of the highway when you know you don't need any direction for a while till your exit, and with a hit of the home button the map app come up without the need to unlock the phone. This is a really valuable feature, the phone does not need to unlock and the maps app comes up and functions on your lock screen.

The RAM X-Mount

This is an awesome holder very secure with a clean look, you can mount and remove your phone with-in seconds with out being cumbersome like the other holders.

The charger-Battery tender cables

This kept my phone at 100% during the trip while the Maps App was running and I was busting out some tunes.

Luxury of Rich sounding Tunes...

Shure 315 SE

Oh, and for me headphones I have the SHURE 315 SE which are noise cancelling/sound isolating these babies are very detailed with rich sound, on the highways with a beany I have great sound and also saves my ears from the high killer decibel levels of my own pipes. It also can take really clear calls on it's mic and remote wires, plus so you can turn your music on or off and adjust the volume with the remote.

Here below is my NYC road trip video, you will see the iPhone with the X-Mount in action in some shots.

Did you have a data plan while in the states? If not, curious about any costs that came from using Apple map data.

Did you have a data plan while in the states? If not, curious about any costs that came from using Apple map data.

Yep, I'm with Wind here in Toronto so for $35 you get the whole buffet, they have this great add on for $15 for the month you can add roaming to US for one month with unlimited everything south of the border. You go on to At&T or T-Mobile. So if you gonna hope over the border you just add it and runs for the month only.

The service on that side of the border was awesome no dead zones at all.

I think you're literally the only other person who read the original post
lol people like to hear themselves type without considering what is being asked or the topic.

Except that GPS is GPS...so any GPS app will do what the OP wants. A certain amount of awareness of the field is assumed.
It's the OP that has dated knowledge.....and perhaps some responders.

Except that GPS is GPS...so any GPS app will do what the OP wants. A certain amount of awareness of the field is assumed.
Not really, most gps apps are not optimized for racing with lap times and ability to download tracks and much more.

Here are the top 10 GPS apps according to this article, none of them can be used for racing, unless you are trying to get to the track.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-gps-app-and-navigation-app-for-android-357870/

I would like to go for motorcycle racing, can I use GPS for racing?

but sure ... click click click ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I am using an Eaglei product http://eagleigps.com/ for my truck GPS tracking. Can I get the similar one for my motorcycle? Is there a need for additional features? I would like to go for motorcycle racing, can I use GPS for racing? (I hadn’t started my practice yet). Which model of GPS is better for motorcycle, chargeable or battery powered GPS? What are the factors should be considered before getting a GPS for Motorbikes? Had anyone used the old truck GPS for your motorbikes?

RACEchrono works pretty well. There's a few guys who use it at Shannonville and Cayuga. You just need your phone and it tracks your...umm..track progress.
download it in the google ap store.
http://www.racechrono.com/

I have the Garmin Zumo I believe it is, for motorcycles and a TomTom rider.
I prefer the Garmin.

And a GPS works well.I refuse to fall into the trap of having to have the latest,fastest,most expensive technology for everything.I wonder what the percentage of people like me still using old dino cell phones is? I have better places to spend my money than throwing it at tech giants like Samsung or Apple.

Back
Top Bottom