GPS for Motorbikes | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS for Motorbikes

I did the same. Lasts some 20,000km.
Requires a dozen or so ziplock bags and similar in elastic bands.

Garmin USB connection is in a vulnerable position, and corrosion sets in. Plus connecting/disconnecting seems to damage to the pins, made more vulnerable by the corrosion.

TomTom has a better USB connection, but seems (IMHO) more prone to vibration damage.

If I get that kind of mileage, for the hundred bucks I invested in the unit, I'll be happy....

Garmin USB connection is in a vulnerable position, and corrosion sets in. Plus connecting/disconnecting seems to damage to the pins, made more vulnerable by the corrosion.

TomTom has a better USB connection, but seems (IMHO) more prone to vibration damage.

Been using a Nuvi 350 (old old auto GPS) in a RAM mount for the last 5 years, but it can't talk to the helmet nor can it use routes I've plotted out beforehand. Hasn't died yet, but then I tend to not mount it in the rain, plus I've just been using it on battery while riding (so no wear on the plug/interface).

For those of you that ride offroad, I love my Montana 610 loaded with backroad maps... very easy to find trails now (in particular ATV trails, snowmobile trails, logging roads, etc), awesome amount of detail. Pricey though -- $600+ for the GPS, $150 for BRMB. $60 for the mount.

Combined with the AMPs powered mount: https://www.amazon.ca/Amps-Rugged-M...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=756JA7H4WE91P0J5NXQ2, and it's awesome... no micro usb to corrode and fail, can even lock the GPS to the mount, and if the ram mount is locking then you can leave it on the bike for short times away.

A hiking GPS might not suit everyone though, I don't usually do guided/planned routes anymore as exploring with no goal in mind has become much more interesting. This GPS can do guided routes too, but it doesn't have voice to announce a turn, no bluetooth to pair with your sena or whatever, etc,.

Long live the Streetpilot 2720

I'm stockpiling them, have two 2720's and a 2820 in my possession.

I am getting the itch pretty bad for a Zumo 590 though.

Getting lost can be fine...but finding the way home or getting to a gas station are fairly important at one point or another.

The biggest issue with a car GPS is can you read the screen under direct sunlight. My old Magellan was almost useless when the sun was out, you could barely read the screen.

For me, I found the biggest issues were protection from the elements, and vibration hardening. I went through 3 non-motorcycle GPSs within weeks of getting them by vibrating them to death. Having a rain/sun/gasoline/vibration-proof GPS has been fantastic.

My current GPS is the Zumo 595LM. I use it enough that its absurd cost is well worth it. It comes with the car mount as well, making it my one GPS for everything.

buy a $1 usb extension cable (4 inches)
then use epoxy to glue it into the GPS then use other USB cable on the extension to disconnect/reconnect
now you don't have to worry about USB connection issue

JB weld works too

I use an old Android phone with SYGIC.
My phone does alot of things, connects to my GpPro type camera too, streams music, use it as camera if I wanted to.

Keep your good phone safe and charged in your pocket.
IF you crash, you don't want your primary phone being damaged with the bike as it will likely go flying off and get lost.

Back
Top Bottom