Mechanical engineering | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mechanical engineering

RockerGuy

Banned
Site Supporter
Anybody got a Masters in that? If so what are the job prospects like. I already got a degree that I can use to wipe my arse but looking for something that can pay 80-100k per year. What are your thoughts?

Is that what the job market is like? You need a masters to get a measly 80k?? Jesus.

Mine me asking what you do that makes more than that?

Do you have a B.Eng in Mech. Eng and are looking at an M.Eng? or do you have some other degree and are thinking about going all the way to a M.Eng?

Here we have many types of engineers, math guys, optical, electrical, software, mechanical and a few others. A B.Eng vs. M.Eng, regardless of discipline makes very little difference in payscale here and in most other businesses I've talked to. Even a Phd has limited reach unless you are at a very specialized employer or acedemia. Experience is worth more than letters from what I've seen in Engineering. Don't get me wrong, you need at least a B.Eng, B.SC or math degree, and a P.Eng is a good idea, but I've haven't seen enough industry demand in this region to consider going beyond.

I feel you are asking the wrong question. I would be talking about fields of work. If you chase the money you will have a difficult time. Find the area of engineering you enjoy and excel at and the money will come. You are not likely to make 80-100K out of the gate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine me asking what you do that makes more than that?
I mop floors and make 25k.

My question was a general curiosity. I thought masters were friggin expensive and time consuming to only be hoping for an 80k salary after the dust settled. I am dismayed, for I will not be seeking masters in the custodial arts any longer.

I'm a mech eng and I am a P.Eng. but I never bothered with the master's degree. No one I've ever dealt with gives a rat's arse how many letters you have after your name. My job requires the P.Eng. Outside of that, it's "what have you done for me lately". Practical real world experience trumps how many books you have read.

Job prospects stink for someone who is overqualified and thus demanding of a high wage. Engineering is not a high paid profession in North America, which is a pretty sad state of affairs, but it's how it is. It gets better after you have "paid your dues" for a few years by working as a relatively-low-paid mechanical designer and are eventually able to break free of working for someone else ... I'm doing okay and I have more consulting work than I can handle.

Engineers who worked their way up from the shop floor, and understand how things work and how they are made, are of greatest real world value. In my world you need to understand robots, and automation equipment, and tooling, and machining, and system controls, pneumatics, hydraulics, and such things. Don't need a master's degree for that ... but you do need to get dirty hands and get splashed with hydraulic oil or machining coolant now and again. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it otherwise. I'm much happier dealing with real stuff while wearing jeans and hard hat and safety boots, than sitting behind a desk.

And now, back to desk work; I owe someone a quotation, and I've been procrastinating, because it's for a big job and it's split in three parts and I need to put numbers to all of them ...

In my opinion, this is where the jobs and money are at:

Energy (powers the world, and everything in it)
Transportation Infrastructure (people need to get places every day)
Pharmaceutical (most need drugs, and everyone wants a pill to solve their problems)

These are the big three that affect that majority of people, the majority of days.

Electrical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Chemical Engineering

That's just my opinion, based on observations and understandings. (I am in this group personally)

I also think Experience > Education

Consider taking a 2-3 year college program (that has co-op!) and getting a technician/technologist position. Get an entry level job in your field, and obtain higher education through part time classes. Most good employers will have incentives and programs to help you through this.

Don't bother with masters unless you can get into the Aerospace program. UofT only accept via Engineering sciences as far as I know so not sure if your bEng would be considered. As others have said, if you can't find a job in your specialization with B. Eng then I doubt that having and M. Eng would apply.

Add "Manufacturing". Someone has to build all the stuff that people buy. And it's not all contracted-out to low-wage developing countries ... and if it is contracted-out, you had better have your own engineers over there supervising, or else. I have more than one customer who have plants in Asia and they build and test all of the production equipment here, and ship it over there to have them run it.

Most mechanical engineers are involved with manufacturing in some way, although there are plenty of electrical and computer engineers involved also.

Anybody got a Masters in that? If so what are the job prospects like. I already got a degree that I can use to wipe my arse but looking for something that can pay 80-100k per year. What are your thoughts?

Do you already have an engineering degree? Or are you looking to do a new degree? If you're looking to do a new degree.. Have you considered investment banking?

I don't believe a finance undergraduate degree is all that difficult (I've got an accounting undergraduate) but If I could go back I'd have got into investment banking. You can make an absolute killing in that. I've got a friend making over $100 at 28.

Last edited:
My experience is only related to the automotive sector. I have a few friends who did a masters after their undergrad in mech eng and all went into the automotive sector. There's definitely a gap between just having your bachelors and a masters - most of the guys with just an undergrad ended up in various validation jobs. Ones with masters went into either CAE/simulation or controls related gigs, and there's definitely a salary gap there.

I left engineering and went into economics. My masters in econ isn't paying me **** right now.

Thanks for all the response. I cannot reply to everyone so I will get to a few.

I am presently in manufacturing. We build parts for the nuclear power plant & military. Just the other day I was cutting the shaft for the propeller of a helicopter. I enjoy doing this kind of work & I feel like if I don't learn something new on my job I will be horribly bored. I can't understand how some people can do the same job for over 20 yrs.

I'm a machinist now & gradually want to be something more than that. I am not certified & I was thinking of either going back for school for it or maybe skip college & do a M. eng. Just thinking of possibilities.

Do you have a B.Eng in Mech. Eng and are looking at an M.Eng? or do you have some other degree and are thinking about going all the way to a M.Eng?

Here we have many types of engineers, math guys, optical, electrical, software, mechanical and a few others. A B.Eng vs. M.Eng, regardless of discipline makes very little difference in payscale here and in most other businesses I've talked to. Even a Phd has limited reach unless you are at a very specialized employer or acedemia. Experience is worth more than letters from what I've seen in Engineering. Don't get me wrong, you need at least a B.Eng, B.SC or math degree, and a P.Eng is a good idea, but I've haven't seen enough industry demand in this region to consider going beyond.

I have a Bsc, no B. Eng. My company hire engineers to design parts being made. All the shops I've worked at has some form of an engineer
I feel you are asking the wrong question. I would be talking about fields of work. If you chase the money you will have a difficult time. Find the area of engineering you enjoy and excel at and the money will come. You are not likely to make 80-100K out of the gate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I already did what you're saying. That didn't work out too well. No offense but there's so much wrong to that advice. That's what they want you to hear in school

Do you already have an engineering degree? Or are you looking to do a new degree? If you're looking to do a new degree.. Have you considered investment banking?

I don't believe a finance undergraduate degree is all that difficult (I've got an accounting undergraduate) but If I could go back I'd have got into investment banking. You can make an absolute killing in that. I've got a friend making over $100 at 28.
Sorry finance never interested me. I will be really bored & might end up getting fired

Having a few friends as machinists, from what I hear from all of them is its a tough gig to find high wage meaningful employment. A lot of it has become push-button style operators.

Why the M.Eng? (masters) why not just a B.Eng? 4 years is fine, you don't need the extra 2+. As others have also said as well, its more about experience than letters. Given you seem to have a reasonable history with manufacturing, this could be a huge plus. You will still start from the bottom in the engineering world, but I'd expect your experience will get you in the door and move you up faster.

Lakehead University has (had?) a program where certain college diplomas and non-engineering graduates would allow you to get a B.Eng in 2.5 years. I know quite a few that went through it. Not sure if they still have it, but have a peek.

Whatever you decide, if you do go for an engineering degree, make sure it is an accredited university (most in canada are AFAIK), which makes getting your P.Eng much easier. If you go to school outside of Canada its a whole lot more difficult.

Having a few friends as machinists, from what I hear from all of them is its a tough gig to find high wage meaningful employment. A lot of it has become push-button style operators.

Why the M.Eng? (masters) why not just a B.Eng? 4 years is fine, you don't need the extra 2+. As others have also said as well, its more about experience than letters. Given you seem to have a reasonable history with manufacturing, this could be a huge plus. You will still start from the bottom in the engineering world, but I'd expect your experience will get you in the door and move you up faster.

Lakehead University has (had?) a program where certain college diplomas and non-engineering graduates would allow you to get a B.Eng in 2.5 years. I know quite a few that went through it. Not sure if they still have it, but have a peek.

Whatever you decide, if you do go for an engineering degree, make sure it is an accredited university (most in canada are AFAIK), which makes getting your P.Eng much easier. If you go to school outside of Canada its a whole lot more difficult.
I won't want to do a Bachelor's in Eng. I don't see the type of job I will be getting. Plus I already know of alot of people who have those & can't get a job. I already lost money by throwing $ at something that didn't pay back. If anything, I prefer to become a robotics programmer or cnc programmer. I've been in this field for a while. Lots of jobs there.

A finance undergrad isn't that difficult (a technical econ degree is more difficult IMO), but getting into a IB job is difficult though. You need to be coming out of a top program with the right connections to have a decent shot at the field

Sounds like have ur answer. Anything software has a fair amount of opportunity, our place can't find enough software devs

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can't find enough robot technicians/programmers, PLC programmers, industrial electricians and millwrights, tool and die. Engineering degree not needed.

Back
Top Bottom