What's a good first car? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's a good first car?

I find Mazda oilchange intervals to be a little on the frequent side. 8k or four months.

VW is 15k or annually, which ever occurs first I believe.?

My experience with domestic Ford and GM was an oil life monitor that generally got me 12k to 15k on average.

Not that oil changes are a big deal or expense but, the more you drive , it can be a factor.

Personally like the Focus hatch back.

The key factor for the OP would be ergos and reliability.

Agree with Brian about Nissan. The CVT and numb steering are annoying. And I elected to have a few for work. At first, didn't mind but after a few road trips it gets to you. lol.

Hyundais are "meh". The Sonata is a decent car. The smaller models are take-it-or-leave-it. Hyundai has not figured out suspension and steering yet.

What is up with that, when I drive my wife's Santa it pisses me off, I put it on the softest option and I still get resistance when I start turning, only for a split second but the turning effort is not consistent.

Did they test ride these cars? Useless feture

I recently purchased a new car. I think all driving dynamics have been compromised for profit/fuel consumption and reliability. To be honest I don't blame them my wife thinks it drives great and is the target demographic. Still lots of awesome options for drivers but less so in the economy small car category.

Anyways sorry for detracting from the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a new car. I think all driving dynamics have been compromised for profit/fuel consumption and reliability. To be honest I don't blame them my wife thinks it drives great and is the target demographic. Still lots of awesome options for drivers but less so in the economy small car category.

Anyways sorry for detracting from the topic.

Avoid the automatics and much of the fuel economy stupidity is solved(in the name of fuel economy they are jumping to the tallest gear possible, then dropping back down 3 or 4 when you want to accelerate).

Engineering department: We've just developed this new feature, "overdrive", in our new 4 speed automatics so that you can have both acceleration when you want it and good fuel economy the rest of the time!
Calibration department: Shift to 4th gear.
Customer: This car feels slow.

Engineering department: New innovation, 5-speed automatic, so that you can have acceleration when you want it and good fuel economy the rest of the time!
Calibration department: Shift to 5th gear.

Engineering department: Announcing our new 6 speed automatic transmission that gives you good acceleration and good fuel economy!
Calibration department: Shift to 6th gear.

Engineering department: Our class leading new 10 speed automatic transmission gives the perfect ratio all the time for both performance and fuel economy!
Calibration department: Shift to 10th gear.

The Beetle that I had as a rental last week was of the 6-speed "shift to 6th gear no matter what" variety.

It so happens that I'm looking for a new higher-end econobox for work as we speak. (Micra/Mirage/Yaris need not apply) I can't find a single car of the candidates on the short list with a manual transmission to test-drive. The Fiat 500 (non turbo) with an automatic is another slug of the "shift to 6th gear no matter what" variety. I am probably going to end up special ordering something without having test-driven the exact version that I want to get.

Just went threw this process a few months ago, my wife has returning to work after a 10 year child rearing hiatus.

Was looking for a tidy Toyota Rav4, really hard to find clean low milage used, less than 4 years old.

That was the *if were going to spend money, lets get a really nice car* car. All had some issue or another: damage, no maintenance records, mismatch tires. I suspect they are highly sought after and hard to find in really clean condition for that reason.

I gave up and bought a 2007 Yaris sedan for $6500.

One owner, 140K, power group, auto and air. Undercoated, winter tires on rims, glove box full of service records and a few light dents and scratches already installed. I do my own wrenching, this thing will last another 5 years without incident Im certain of it.

I find Mazda oilchange intervals to be a little on the frequent side. 8k or four months.

VW is 15k or annually, which ever occurs first I believe.?

Do you think there's an actual mechanical difference between the engines that would allow one to go for twice as long between oil changes? If it were my car, and one I intend to keep a long time, I wouldn't be changing the oil every 15k personally. Ok maybe full synthetic, maybe..

Last year I picked up a 2010 mazda3 wagon. 60k km on it, 5 spd and a few nice options for a little over $9000 out the door. No rust anywhere, drives like new, $40 gets me 5-600 km. Cheap and reliable so far.
God I need another truck.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Do you think there's an actual mechanical difference between the engines that would allow one to go for twice as long between oil changes? If it were my car, and one I intend to keep a long time, I wouldn't be changing the oil every 15k personally. Ok maybe full synthetic, maybe..

VW is only synthetic. Can't comment on the Mazda's slippery liquid of choice. I had a mkiv VW with 10,000 km intervals (with synthetic). I changed the oil between 9 and 12 and sold it at 320+ and it had no problems that could possibly be related to oil (just the standard dm flywheel failure and some electrical gremlins).

4 months seems like an obscenely short interval. That seems like a make work project or a "there's no way anyone will follow this ridiculous maintenance schedule so we won't have to pay warranty claims" idea that someone came up with.

I'm a firm believer in the $10k used car. I liked my mom's Mazda 3.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Engineering department: We've just developed this new feature, "overdrive", in our new 4 speed automatics so that you can have both acceleration when you want it and good fuel economy the rest of the time!
Calibration department: Shift to 4th gear.

Engineering department: New innovation, 5-speed automatic, so that you can have acceleration when you want it and good fuel economy the rest of the time!
Calibration department: Shift to 5th gear.

Engineering department: Announcing our new 6 speed automatic transmission that gives you good acceleration and good fuel economy!
Calibration department: Shift to 6th gear.

Engineering department: Our class leading new 10 speed automatic transmission gives the perfect ratio all the time for both performance and fuel economy!
Calibration department: Shift to 10th gear.

The Beetle that I had as a rental last week was of the 6-speed "shift to 6th gear no matter what" variety.

It so happens that I'm looking for a new higher-end econobox for work as we speak. (Micra/Mirage/Yaris need not apply) I can't find a single car of the candidates on the short list with a manual transmission to test-drive. The Fiat 500 (non turbo) with an automatic is another slug of the "shift to 6th gear no matter what" variety. I am probably going to end up special ordering something without having test-driven the exact version that I want to get.

Too funny. I know it might be a bit pricey but have you tried the Fiesta ST? Great car

Just FYI. My wife did pick up a demo and saved freight, PDI and some off the list and the vehicle has full warranty and qualified for new vehicle incentives such as discounts and financing promotions.

Just a thought of that might be of interest.

Some folks are leary of demos like rentals or fleets but, it's an option if a dealer has any available.

The old "every 3 months or 3000 miles" (5000 km) oil change interval nowadays is good for only one thing: helping your dealer's service department stay busy. I know lots of dealers advertise their own service schedule that is very different from what is in the car's owner's manual.

My Jetta TDI called for an oil change every 16,000 km but you had to use a special oil that met a specific VW standard. I used that oil, and changed it every 16,000 km as per the service book, and that car did a fair bit of trailer towing as well, and I sold it at 430,000 km with no engine issues.

The Chrysler dealer that I bought my van from still wants it in every 3 months or 5000 km (= 3000 mi) just like in the old days ...

The old "every 3 months or 3000 miles" (5000 km) oil change interval nowadays is good for only one thing: helping your dealer's service department stay busy. I know lots of dealers advertise their own service schedule that is very different from what is in the car's owner's manual.

My Jetta TDI called for an oil change every 16,000 km but you had to use a special oil that met a specific VW standard. I used that oil, and changed it every 16,000 km as per the service book, and that car did a fair bit of trailer towing as well, and I sold it at 430,000 km with no engine issues.

The Chrysler dealer that I bought my van from still wants it in every 3 months or 5000 km (= 3000 mi) just like in the old days ...

I think it depends on vehicle overall...from a physical perspective, the mileage per change really would boil down to the power output of the engine/how high it revs/forced induction or not, and also how much oil it takes plus if it uses synthetic from the factory or not. That said, I totally agree that a lot of time it boils down to how often they want you in for an oil change in order to make money.

For my 2006 Accord, it calls for oil changes every 10,000km or so based on the maintenance computer in the car. Typically I'd go with what it said +-1000km but I used synthetic and always changed the filter for cheap insurance. The bike actually calls for a change every 12,000km, but since I don't ride that much in a given season (typically 5,000-8,000km), it just gets changed out once a year unless I actually do ride more than expected.

As for the original question...I guess if I were the OP I'd look at Civics (different ranges, as maybe seats changed generation to generation), as well as the Accord, Acura RSX, Toyota Corolla, Camry, VW Golf, etc. Personally not a fan of domestic brands, especially if buying used from a few years ago. I'd also stay away from Nissan...I used to not mind them, but my parents have a 2010 Altima that has been falling apart for years, and is already on a rebuilt engine. That said, it does seem that Ford is making a lot of improvements in newer models. If I personally had to buy today I'd probably look at either the new Ford Mustang (V8 model) or the Subaru/Toyota BRZ/FRS. I'd also look at the BMW 2 or 4 series, but I can't justify the pricing on them, as much as I do like them.

I can also personally vouch for my 2006 Honda Accord V6 manual coupe...has pretty much been bullet-proof since I bought it new that year, needing only oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. First major thing it needs will be the timing belt and water pump this year, but that's a rare occurrence (every 150,000km according to manual).

Last edited:
Is the civic known to have ergonomic seats? My brother in law took the civic today and didn't complain and he's a good 4-5 inches taller and 60 more pounds.

Maybe I do have a fussy back and in that case I guess I could solve the issue with one of those lumbar supports you strap on to the seat.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Sat in a 2016 civic today and found the seats firm and supportive but, didn't go on a road trip for 65kms.

Maybe it's a particular model?

It so happens that I'm looking for a new higher-end econobox for work as we speak. I can't find a single car of the candidates on the short list with a manual transmission to test-drive. .

Boy are you in luck. for 2017 Honda shows commitment to the enthusiast community by offering a manual transmission in every body style (even a hatchback is coming!) and trim level of Civic.

This along with the fact that the Civics gold star chassis which will underpin the next generation Accord simply means that Civic will continue to spank everything else in the segment.

manual turbo Civic Si on the horizon.... back to Honda's glory days...yum.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-...th-stick-shift-on-all-2017-civic-body-styles/

Back
Top Bottom