Cleaning leather gloves? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cleaning leather gloves?

freezing DOES NOT kill bacteria, it just stops growth, as soon as you take your gloves out of the freezer it will pick up where it left off

It has nothing to do with cheap gloves,, Actually ,more expensive gloves can be worse as they use more synthetics in the glove to reinforce thin leather which will or will not dry out.
Vinegar is soaking into the leather and will take days/months to come back out.Leather is a sponge.
Never put anything on or in your gloves you would not put on your hands. You will just destroy it's protective nature.
Buy a basic clean glove color wise and throw it in the rinse cycle on cold. No difference then riding in the rain. Red colour bleeds more so you could end up with pink.
The hardest thing on gloves is UV rays and sweat/salt. So if they are over a year old they most likely have not got much resistance to pavement.
DO NOT heat dry it or put it in the sun it will shrink. let it air dry. So plan for several days.
And just because a glove cost more,, does not mean it is better.

Thank you John.
I have a pair of gloves that are slightly too large. Will do as you recommend not to. Sounds like an Oxymoron but might work for me.(Ducati Sports )

The hardest thing on gloves is UV rays and sweat/salt. So if they are over a year old they most likely have not got much resistance to pavement.

Yikes, are they that delicate?! Might need new gloves then. I've read that the salt crystals that form when the sweat dries act like an abrasive, causing the leather to split eventually.

Yikes, are they that delicate?! Might need new gloves then. I've read that the salt crystals that form when the sweat dries act like an abrasive, causing the leather to split eventually.
Well I have guys bringing me gloves anywhere from 2 to 20 years old to repair. In many cases they are shot and the rider has hand damage. Now new gloves can fail as well as old. But consider this,, the best feel and fit is from thinner leather. 25 years ago gloves were like a welding glove. So they lasted longer. How many have gloves made of lamb skin,kangaroo, real thin leather to get that feel and fit. Well there goes your longevity. Cow is still the best, a bit thicker but lasts longer.
So paying $300 for a set of gloves does not mean they last longer. In fact they probably last shorter.
Moto GP guys use new gloves if not every time they go on the track pretty close.
You know when you put your gloves on and they feel stiff and at the end of the ride they feel better,, the moisture/sweat has softened everything up. But when it goes hard,,that is when the longevity damage is done.
So buying $300 gloves and trying to get three years out of them,, well the last two years are a gamble. Buy a $100 pair of gloves each year will give you better abrasion resistance, and that is a fact. Gloves wear from the inside and the outside so it gets thinner with every ride.

After a ride, if you have a couple days take a Vaseline type conditioner and just dab your glove into it and rub it in like you were putting hand cream on. Not too much, give it a day or two and your gloves will feel amazing when you put them on. But too much and too greasy will cause you grip problems.

Good luck.

Thank you John.
I have a pair of gloves that are slightly too large. Will do as you recommend not to. Sounds like an Oxymoron but might work for me.(Ducati Sports )
Yes we have shrunk gloves,, fingers mostly at the tips. But if you get them wet,, warm water,, put them in the sun for a bit they will shrink. The only problem is the synthetics inside today they will not shrink as leather will.. If they get too tight do the reverse,, wet them and wear them they will stretch. But you have to wear them until they dry.

Listen to this^guy.

PS Bickle gloves are awesome, he helped me shrink the fingers (dip only part you wanna shrink).

Yes we have shrunk gloves,, fingers mostly at the tips. But if you get them wet,, warm water,, put them in the sun for a bit they will shrink. The only problem is the synthetics inside today they will not shrink as leather will.. If they get too tight do the reverse,, wet them and wear them they will stretch. But you have to wear them until they dry.

Thank you John.
As meme says, "Listen to this guy" I always do.

And while we are on it,[rant] do we really think the cables and shields and buckles and knobs and all that crap really work.
FACT, I have spent numerous hours trackside trying to figure how to get a glove so a rider can get it back on their hand. Wishing I had my old ski boots for parts.
It gets ripped off! So if it gets ripped off,,,think about this,,it is actually trying to pull your glove of or worse your hand!
I have seen guys with pinkie finger damage with and with out the fingers sewn together. I have seen more hand damage from crap then it has protected.
So please,,,when the dial brakes off and the cable is attached to the bike and the buckle has gone air borne,,I can't fix it. And most of all, you can not nail a good piece of wood to a rotten piece.
Protect your hands people, they hit the ground first! End Rant!

How often should you replace gloves?

Mine probably have about 40,000 kms on them over 2 and a half seasons, time for new ones?

How often should you replace gloves?

Mine probably have about 40,000 kms on them over 2 and a half seasons, time for new ones?
I would say yes,, but keep the old in case you ride in the rain.

Leather gloves require leather cleaner or they dry out and become useless for protection. Saddle soap is the best to use. and don't use water to rinse.

Listen to this^guy.

Oh he's definitely on my "Pay Attention" list. Thanks, Mr. Bickle. Time to find some new gloves!

I wash my gloves about 2-3 years. As mentioned the salt accumulate in the insides & weaken the tear resistance.

Use a pH neutral soap. No dish soap, no detergents & no bleach for chrissakes. Use baby shampoo or hair shampoo if you don't have.

Rub generously with leather conditioner afterwards

The only thing one should use on leather is Neets foot oil. Horse (equestrian) people know this and use it on their leather horse tack. It's made from cattle hoofs and is amazing on leather. If the leather is badly soiled first use saddle soap and then Neets. It takes a day or so for the oil to dry. It's not cheep but worth it. If your going to buy it make sure you get the 'original' as there was some controversy in regard to solvents in anything other than 'original'.

Well, are we talking tack or are we talking protective leather on a glove that is maybe at best a fraction of the thickness of tack?
Tack is different, strap leather is traditionally thicker and a lot of the tack products have dye in them to help the patina of the leather.
If we are talking motorcycle gloves ,what are we looking at maybe 1mm leather. Tack is 1/4 inch strap leather. So you can not even entertain the same
demands. Gloves wear out ,,fact. If you ride a lot you will wear a glove out long before you "think" you will. The salt eats it from the inside,,but you condition the outside. The UV deteriorates the outside. We have never even touched on the thread that holds it all together. Dubin,saddle soap,oil,,none of that helps the thread.
I never use oil, never use saddle soap, I only use two things and I buy them by the case to ensure I get it. Fiebings Leather conditioner cause it makes the leather softer and you only need small amounts of conditioner. The 4 way conditioner when I am trackside and need to clean up some bad memories fast. Oil just keeps wicking up it doesn't dry it just soaks up and soap has to be worked in and the leather used in gloves is not designed for that type of application. And too much oil could become a problem.
Fact is, gloves have a harsh life and job,,,pushing the life can end up with problems when you need them. Trust me,, sliding down the pavement at 230KPH is not the time you want to find out your gloves suck! That's the school of hard knocks talking to.

You mentioned kangaroo leather not being that great. Care to explain what all the rave about this is?

You mentioned kangaroo leather not being that great. Care to explain what all the rave about this is?
Kangaroo is a thinner hide and as durable as standard cow. So assuming,, we are talking about top quality cow hide and top quality kangaroo, you would get the same durability with the kangaroo being lighter.
The cow tanning process is pretty good around the world and it is cheap. Kangaroo is not grown in captivity, it is hunted and the demand is much greater then the supply.
Cow is abundant. So if you are a "cutter" making a suit out of kangaroo you use everything you have as it is more costly and harder to get. If you are a cutter making a suit out of cow,, lots of it and cheaper so you cut the bad parts out.
I have seen two identical off the shelf suits, same manufacturer,same size,same colour. One awesome , one a piece of crap. What do you think gloves are made out of? Off cuts of the suits.
So cow is much more stable and consistent,kangaroo is all over the map with quality. Unless you can hold the suit/gloves in your hand and know what you are looking for I think most waste their money on it. As "most" do not get top quality hide. So a lessor quality kangaroo is less resistant and thinner!
So A grade against A grade,no problem,,, do most know what to look for in a hide?

The manufacturers have been raving about kangaroo leather being light & just as abrasion resistant. I bought myself a pair

Back
Top Bottom