Cleaning leather gloves? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cleaning leather gloves?

mistersouthpaw

whats the best way to clean leather gloves? mine always leave my hands smelling like vinegar now...

tried soaking them and all the dye started coming out..

tried rubbing dish soap on my hands and washing my hands..

still the stink remains

whats the best way to clean leather gloves? mine always leave my hands smelling like vinegar now...

tried soaking them and all the dye started coming out..

tried rubbing dish soap on my hands and washing my hands..

still the stink remains

then the problem is you
get new hands

I ride with Icon Anthems and they just started to get a little smelly after about 6000km. They are only half leather (goatskin) but I just washed them in a sink with a bunch of laundry soap. Seems to have taken most the smell out and didn't change the color at all. Were you using vinegar to clean them? That seems a little weird to me.

A soap with pumice will clean your hands. Go-jo in the orange container is a popular brand.

Cheap gloves? The only solution may be an upgrade.

My Joe Rocket gloves, 'Atomic' IIRC, have never bled dye or had an unusual smell.

Last edited:
If it is just the smell your trying to get out of the gloves try throwing them in the freezer for a night. Freezing them should kill the bacteria causing them to stink.

when I wash mine I let them soak in a sink with baby shampoo cause its very mild.... then I wash the gloves inside and out.. put the baby shampoo on my hand... insert into glove (heres where someone quotes and inserts sex joke) and clean the inside. Then rinse well, roll the gloves up tightly (don't twist) to get as much water out... hang till almost dry, then leather conditioner before its completely dry. 2 years and 20k later my gloves don't stink

Ivory liquid detergent is very mild. Soak, rinse, then lay on a rack to air dry. Add leather conditioner to the outside of the gloves. The leather for gloves is thin, which does wear down. You might be in need of a new pair.

I don't think you should use dish washing liquid as it will strip the oils from the gloves.
It will dry out your gloves.
mild water, baby shampoo or saddle soap should do the trick
maybe adding a touch of bleach to the water but I am not 100% if bleach can damage the leather.

let them dry properly

turn inside out if you can and place by window or fan

People wash their gloves? How about that, you do learn something new everyday.

I don't wash mine often but when I have I put them in a delicates wash bag I saw my wife using. Wash on delicate in my front load. Then hang dry. I then follow up with a leather conditioner or something with lanolin after they dry.

I ride with Icon Anthems and they just started to get a little smelly after about 6000km. They are only half leather (goatskin) but I just washed them in a sink with a bunch of laundry soap. Seems to have taken most the smell out and didn't change the color at all. Were you using vinegar to clean them? That seems a little weird to me.

I tried soaking them in laundry soap and then I squirted some dish soap inside of them and then put some dish soap in the palms and washed my hands as if I were just washing them regularly..

The vinegar smell is the problem I didn't clean them with vinegar.. It's like the sweat and bacteria buildup in them smells like vinegar and always leaves my hands smelling like vinegar now

when I wash mine I let them soak in a sink with baby shampoo cause its very mild.... then I wash the gloves inside and out.. put the baby shampoo on my hand... insert into glove (heres where someone quotes and inserts sex joke) and clean the inside. Then rinse well, roll the gloves up tightly (don't twist) to get as much water out... hang till almost dry, then leather conditioner before its completely dry. 2 years and 20k later my gloves don't stink

Perhaps I just didn't soak mine long enough then! This is pretty much what I did except with normal detergent and dish soap

So you're washing them to get the vinegar smell out? Why do they smell like vinegar? I wash my hands before I put my gloves on. Then I don't wash them. Washing leather without ruining it is next to impossible.

The vinegar is the result of bacteria creating an unpleasant odor. The bacteria inside the gloves need to be killed, which is why I suggested a Lysol or some other anti-bacterial spray. Leaving the gloves in a chest freezer for a few days may also help kill the bacteria

Back
Top Bottom