US Trip Insurance - Advice needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

US Trip Insurance - Advice needed

black_CG2

I am going to Oahu, Hawaii during September for an 8 day trip. I have purchased travelers insurance which provides up to $5 million coverage for medical. My concern is, is that enough to account for "risky" activities? For example, I am planning on renting a bike there, scuba diving and may be flying in a glider plane with a professional pilot. Not sure how things work in US and I want to take measures and be prepared if **** happens.

Make sure to read the fine print and make sure it doesn't exclude any of that - I'd be worried about that before the dollar figure. I have seen travel insurance that specifically excluded certain high-risk activities. Heck, even my own life insurance here at home I pay extra for because I'm a pilot.

5Million is probably more than sufficient, usually what happens in the case of a major injury is that they stabilize you, bandage you up well enough to travel, and then get you home to our own healthcare system - even if that involves chartering a private plane...ultimately it's less expensive vs keeping you in a US hospital. You'd have to be pretty banged up with an extended stay in a US hospital to consume 5 million. If you're still worried, ask about how much more it is to increase it - it's often not that much.

With vehicular insurance they do their underwriting (Research) before they give you the policy and coverage is pretty much guaranteed.

With travel insurance they give you a policy based on the assumption that you understand the details. Only after you make a claim does the insurer check the policy to see if you have made any errors or omissions as defined by them. Even if the error is unrelated to the claim it is used to justify not paying a claim.

There are some discussions in the cruising / touring section.

We had a guy crash on the Dragon years ago and get two compound fractures in his legs, he had coverage but he racked up $250k in medical bills before he got back to Canada.

If you have a bad accident you will only be there until your medical conditions has been stabilized. They will then quickly whisk you off to Canada where it is much cheaper for them. I would say you should be okay.

We had a guy crash on the Dragon years ago and get two compound fractures in his legs, he had coverage but he racked up $250k in medical bills before he got back to Canada.

Did he have to pay anything out of his pocket?

I have just got off the phone with insurance folks. I have been told as long my scuba diving, motorcycle riding is not professional, I am covered. They will cover me if I am doing these activities for leisure only. Ahh some peace of mind.

Did he have to pay anything out of his pocket?

I have just got off the phone with insurance folks. I have been told as long my scuba diving, motorcycle riding is not professional, I am covered. They will cover me if I am doing these activities for leisure only. Ahh some peace of mind.

My life insurance only covers me for regularly schedule flights so no payout if I'm in a glider that crashes. Air Canada's Gimli Glider may be an exception.

I'm not sure if travel insurance has a life insurance element or if it's just medical. Dead bodies don't need medical coverage but the surviving family might need a hand.

Back
Top Bottom