Oakville to Picton Cruise - Suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oakville to Picton Cruise - Suggestions?

06gtpony

Me and a couple friends from work are planning a day cruise this weekend from Oakville to Picton.

Heard the scenery out there is very nice.

Has anyone ever been out that way??...any recommendations on scenic routes along the way, or must-see tourist attractions to hit up?

-Mark

You may want to Google Prince Edward County for some attractions but the "lake on the mountain" (or something like that) has great scenery and Sandbanks area too.

It's worth getting off the highway and riding the old Lakeshore Road (not #2!) from Newcastle to Port Hope. Good restaurants there for a lunch stop.

Prince Edward County is pretty, but there's not much in the way of twisty roads. Just follow the shore and enjoy the view. I'd bring an insulated bag and pick up some wine at Norman Hardie, and cheese at Fifth Town.

Drink plenty of coffee. You'll need it. It's one long, straight, boring ride.

It's worth getting off the highway and riding the old Lakeshore Road (not #2!) from Newcastle to Port Hope.

x2 - we run that road quite often and it's a nice stretch. Be careful, there's still some sandy spots, railway crossings, and a wooden bridge. Once you hit Port Hope switch over to highway 2 and run it east - way more scenic/interesting vs the 401. Down to Consecon and then Highway 1 over to Picton.

How you want to get out across Toronto really depends on how far north you're willing to go, ultimately.

O.P.P. carded me last year so we're not going back. FYI I'm a 52 year old white bread male riding a $30,000 new BMW. Maybe just doing their job but I'm still hot about that. And no,I wasn't doing anything that would make you look.

There's an old WWII air base used as an industrial park that's worth a look just outside of Picton town on a hill. Lake on The Mountain is a great place to stop with nice views. Waupoos cidery is worth a visit. The cidery has wood fired pizzas that you can eat outside among the grape vines with a view down the hill to the lake.

Theres plenty of twisty roads just watch out as there's also plenty of sand. You'll need to explore the little backroads. Don't use the main entrance for Sandbanks, use the alternate by west lake to get in. No line ups.

there's always OPP around on busy weekends.

if you have a dualsport bike there's probably more fun to be had than on a sport bike.

Wellington is a nice spot to take a break (nice park area as well). Lake on the mountain is a great stop as well. I second grabbing a cider at Waupoos (up on the hill as the winery itself is on the opposite side of the road).
If you're doing the loop it's nicer when done clockwise imo.

I would take highway 2/King Street through Cobourg (hometown) and check out downtown and the Cobourg Marina and Victoria Beach.All three are next to each other. Maybe have lunch at the Oasis Bar and Grill which is also on King Street. After keep on highway 2 through apple country all the way to Belleville.
Just to note highway 401 reduces to 2 lanes when you hit Cobourg so if there is an accident your kinda stuck. There is an air base in Trenton you will pass on your way to Belleville. If you see a Hercules airplane taking off you can do the Top Gun.

401 between Cobourg and Bowmanville was hosed up bad yesterday, 1.5 hour delay. Waze saved my *** and took me around it, but be aware, they're paving in the area so it could happen again. It was fine today.

Back
Top Bottom