Pickering Noob | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickering Noob

EZTRGT

Hey Boys,
New rider here. Been at least 15 years since I've been on a bike. Mostly dirt bike but I had ridden a few road bikes here and there. Phaser 750 and a '89 Softail amongst others. Learned to ride on a '68 Kawasaki road bike on a dirt road. Never did have an m tho.

Nonetheless, I got my M1 this past Friday. Then bought a 2006 XL883C. Then proceeded to crap my pants about insurance. No one wants to touch you on an M1, lol. But I did manage to finally find some for $1300 for the year provided I take the rider training course. Which I'll be doing in a couple of weeks. But living in Pickering and being a slight geezer also helped.

I did also buy all the gear. Helmet, jacket, pants, boots, goggles and gloves. My wife has been kind enough to allow me the privilege of riding so at the very least I'm taking whatever steps are necessary to have me come home in somewhat decent shape.

Now I do a lot of driving in my line of work and I realize it doesn't mean beans compared to a motorcycle, but it has certainly wised me up to the way people drive their cars. At least I can read the traffic pretty well. But in all honesty, I'm a bit nervous. Haven't got the bike yet - sometime this week - but I plan on doing this with baby steps.

Anyways, looking forward to learning as much as I can via practical and theory. I want to be as safe as I can be.

Cheers,
Kyle
EZTRGT

Welcome...

Glad to hear your back in the saddle.....I went sort of the same route, and as they say once your learn you really never forget.....

get your full M and your insurance will go down a bit more, but it will be based on the bike then and nothing much else...

Enjoy the rest of the riding season...

Cheers

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Glad to have you here. If you keep just a little touch of that nervousness it will serve you well.

welcome. remember you can use the tuition you pay for your training course against your income tax.

welcome. remember you can use the tuition you pay for your training course against your income tax.

Non fulltime student courses are not eligible for the tuition credit.

Welcome, OP.

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a bit of an update to my 'Noob' progress.

i had the bike delivered as I just didn't feel that riding from Courtice to Pickering as my first ever in traffic ride was a very wise idea (I'm showing my age). Not to mention it's been at least 15 years since I've been on any kind of bike other than my mountain bike.

As I mentioned, I bought a 2006 XL883C. Partially due to my budget, no desire to blast off with rocketship speed, and the more relaxed riding position - it has forward controls. And despite the fact I'm an ecto morph skinny guy 135lbs soaking wet and 5'10", I seem to be managing the 579lb piglet. But I swear to God that this bike and I were destined to be together. I looked at many Sportsters before I bought this one and while there have been a small few that fit my taste, this one stood out. And even customizing a new one on the HD site still didn't tickle my fancy.

I've done a few turns about the neighborhood and have gone a few other less travelled places to get a feel for the bike and shake the rust out. I took advantage of the quiet holiday Monday morning and went for a cruise across hwy 7 through Pickering Ajax and then went up 30 to the roundabout and home. That was good experience riding faster than side streets and with a bit of traffic and fun to boot. I've forgotten how much fun riding is. But I've stayed off the busier routes, especially during rush hour until I become more comfortable with the bike and my riding ability.

Anyways I plan on continuing to take it slow, absorbing as much info as I can, and completing the RTI course next week.

And all you other noobs can do it and do it safe too. Wear your gear, take the course, and never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Also, thanks to the warm welcome fellas. See you on the road!

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom