Valve Adjustment on 2014 Honda CB500x | GTAMotorcycle.com

Valve Adjustment on 2014 Honda CB500x

contraband

I have a Honda CB500x and have hit 30,000 km, so am now overdue for the 25,000 km valve clearance check. I have checked and adjusted valves on my 2000 Bandit in the past, but it sounds much more complicated with the CB500x and I assume I would have to source the correct shim sizes -- but you can't know which shims you need until you open up the bike.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before, and if so, how did they go about having the right shims on hand, or did they just buy some sort of complete kit.

Alternatively, I'm wondering how much it might cost to simply take it to a mechanic for the valve adjustments.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Take it apart, measure, call a couple local shops with the sizes you need. Most places will exchange with you for a few dollars and have them in stock. Buying a kit is a waste of money, you'll end up with a bunch you don't need and possibly not enough of the ones you do.

Take it apart, measure, call a couple local shops with the sizes you need. Most places will exchange with you for a few dollars and have them in stock. Buying a kit is a waste of money, you'll end up with a bunch you don't need and possibly not enough of the ones you do.

What dricked said - the likelihood is that you'll find the clearances are fine, and for the price of maybe one or two shims buying a kit isn't worth it.

Thanks for the advice!

making a small diagram displaying the shim thickness of the shims in the bike will help for the next clearance adjust - you'll know whats in the bike without removing them. i just slip this info into the owners manual. if not for you, it will be handy for next owner.

making a small diagram displaying the shim thickness of the shims in the bike will help for the next clearance adjust - you'll know whats in the bike without removing them. i just slip this info into the owners manual. if not for you, it will be handy for next owner.

That's a great idea.

Agree, at 30k it will most likely not need any adjustment. My BMW did not need any adjustment at 40 and now at at 60K.

It is about 4 hrs for the inspection and another 1.5 if they need to actually remove the cams and replace shims.

Back
Top Bottom