Trip to Sudbury for Freedom Rider's Rally, July 29-Aug1 - any good routes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trip to Sudbury for Freedom Rider's Rally, July 29-Aug1 - any good routes?

JFuller

I was looking to head up for 3 nights of camping up in Sudbury at the Freedom Rally.
Not sure if the best way is to head straight up, Creemore direction, and then move around the lake on selected side roads.
Then, maybe keep going counterclockwise, via ferry to Tobermory.

Good idea? or just boot up 400, with traffic and cottage chaos....

(BTW, anyone want to join in, sounds great!)

We just got home a few hours ago from a loop up from the Oshawa area to Sudbury, across to North Bay and back down to home with a quick stop on the west side of Algonquin...another (almost) 1000K on the bikes.

Only part I can offer any advice on is Highway 400 - it's a lot different north of Orillia vs the stereotypical 400 Series down here - we took Highway 12/11/169 as far north as we could before getting on the 400 but up there it's a mix of controlled access 4 lane divided and non-divided 4 lane. It's much more scenic though so despite being slab-ish more or less, it's not mind numbing.

If you have the time I'd definitely do the Tobermory and ferry route at least 1 direction - I've done that as well and it's FAR more interesting - save the slab for the way home perhaps but hop off in the Midland area, work your way over to Collingwood and then down through Orangeville etc etc - less slab, more scenic.

If time is not critical, I always enjoy cutting across the top of Lake Rosseau along hwy 141. Try and leave friday morning though long weekend traffic is going to suck. You can make the ride to Sudbury as long as you want. Detour through Minden, then cut across 118, jaunt up to 141. Or just head straight up, it'll probably be close enough to 6 hours without any fancy detours that weekend. I always try to stop at the little restaurant at the top of the lake rosseau, never had a bad meal there. Crossroads or something like that.. name escapes me right now.

I wasn't planning on going that far east, to get around 400. But maybe I have no choice...right?
Coming up from Mississauga, I think it probably makes sense to go via Tobermory, there and back! Probably more scenic. More water views, which I miss after 10 years in Victoria.

By the way, if I get a little bored at the 3 day Freedom Rally, I might head straight north for a day. Any suggestions?
Maybe Timmins? Iroquois Falls? West to Marathon? Anything exceptional I should check out?

Hwy 11 -> Southwood Rd -> Hwy 169 -> Hwy 118 -> Peninsula Rd -> Hwy 141 -> Tally-ho Swords Rd -> Hwy 518 to Parry Sound.

From Parry Sound you have to take the 400/69 for the final 150 kms to Sudbury as there is no other (paved) route.

If time is not critical, I always enjoy cutting across the top of Lake Rosseau along hwy 141. Try and leave friday morning though long weekend traffic is going to suck. You can make the ride to Sudbury as long as you want. Detour through Minden, then cut across 118, jaunt up to 141. Or just head straight up, it'll probably be close enough to 6 hours without any fancy detours that weekend. I always try to stop at the little restaurant at the top of the lake rosseau, never had a bad meal there. Crossroads or something like that.. name escapes me right now.

Looks like there's a nice camping place right on top of Rousseau as well, maybe close to your restaurant....
Maybe good place to stop the first day, and then head to sudbury the next day.
Thx

Hwy 11 -> Southwood Rd -> Hwy 169 -> Hwy 118 -> Peninsula Rd -> Hwy 141 -> Tally-ho Swords Rd -> Hwy 518 to Parry Sound.

From Parry Sound you have to take the 400/69 for the final 150 kms to Sudbury as there is no other (paved) route.

This is an enjoyable route but iff you do decide to go via Tobermory, be sure to book your ferry ticket in advance because they sell out quick. It would be hateful to go all that way and have to go back around.

This is an enjoyable route but iff you do decide to go via Tobermory, be sure to book your ferry ticket in advance because they sell out quick. It would be hateful to go all that way and have to go back around.

Agrees...and I have to be there an hour ahead of time.
I'm switching to the east route, via Muskoka.
Staying overnight in Bracebridge gives me alot of time to plan out
Alot of road choices. Many great roads around Rousseau, according to
The "big map"

Toronto to Sudbury is an easy half day ride even if you avoid the main highways and take the long scenic way, no need to stay in bracebridge unless you really want to.

Toronto to Sudbury is an easy half day ride even if you avoid the main highways and take the long scenic way, no need to stay in bracebridge unless you really want to.

x2. We left north Oshawa at 8:30AM and were in Sudbury by 4PM even with plenty of 10-20 minute stops to stretch and such, and a good solid 1 hour lunch break. We weren't in town very long, headed east to North Bay (our intended destination for the night, about 1.25 hours east) and were still checked into the hotel and stretching out by 7PM.

Well I arrived in Subdury at 7:30pm yesterday, the plan was to spend the night in a motel there then explore some of the roads in the area (hwy 546 north of elliot lake looks extremely interesting) and return home the next day. But every single motel in Sudbury had about a hundred Harleys in the parking lot and I couldn't get a room anywhere. I guess that was the Freedom Rally you were referring to earlier? Anyways I had to ride back home, arrived home at 11pm but at least I saved myself the $120 the motel would have cost.

Back
Top Bottom