The Rise in Popularity of the CanAm Spyders?! | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Rise in Popularity of the CanAm Spyders?!

kiwi

So, Was riding out Up to Cottage country/Barrys Bay last Sunday and saw a total of 8 Can Am Spyders throughout the day. I was really surprised at the number I saw . Was there a recent surge in popularity of these ? I don't think I even saw one Sport Bike all day..

Oh, I did see a Can Amy driver pass another one going the other way, and I guess Can Am guys don't wave to each other ;-p ;-)

So, Was riding out Up to Cottage country/Barrys Bay last Sunday and saw a total of 8 Can Am Spyders throughout the day. I was really surprised at the number I saw . Was there a recent surge in popularity of these ? I don't think I even saw one Sport Bike all day..

Oh, I did see a Can Amy driver pass another one going the other way, and I guess Can Am guys don't wave to each other ;-p ;-)

theres tons of them in Quebec.

theres tons of them in Quebec.

Yeah, I knew that. They are built there right, and also I think you can drive/ride them with a car licence, not a motorcycle one?

I think so. They are good with the arthritic crowd (nothing against them but some people have a job holding a heavy bike up).

When I ventured into Quebec I'd see as many Can Am trains as Harley trains.

oh, and IMO they look better than Cruiser trike conversions.

I first noticed a ton of them in Quebec earlier in the summer, after having seen barely any in Ontario. However, since then, I've been noticing a lot more around the GTA.

Good marketing. An alternative to a trike mod for those who for medical or other reasons can no longer ride a big 2-wheeler. But mostly I think it appeals to the mid-life-crisis car driver who is still too nervous about the risks of riding a motorcycle. Although its not a real motorcycle, if it is a gateway to those who otherwise might have not considered riding a bike, so much the better.

I'd love to try riding one. I'm a fan of all motorized toys.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Good marketing. An alternative to a trike mod for those who for medical or other reasons can no longer ride a big 2-wheeler. But mostly I think it appeals to the mid-life-crisis car driver who is still too nervous about the risks of riding a motorcycle.

I know 3 people who own Spyders. In all 3 cases they are former very experienced 2 wheeler riders who were either looking for something more comfortable and capable (storage space for long trips, that sort of thing), or for medical reasons that made riding on 2 wheels uncomfortable or difficult.

I can't say for 100% that one of them won't be in our future - there's lots of niceties on them that are indeed appealing. It's the price that makes me choke a little however.

Many people switch over for medical or age issues . Hard to hold up a 700lbs bike up . Many wife's/girlfriends will not ride on two wheels . Rather then buying covertables the can am is a great opton.

BTW I will not wave at them as they are not bikes .

Ya ya ya I'm a hater .lol

they are in open air wearing a helmet, all good, ride on
this bike gives them the option to keep riding

I'd love to try riding one. I'm a fan of all motorized toys.

A friend of mine had one (flipped it for $$). It was a Spyder F3. It had a PCV, tune, and a cat-less Two Brother Exhaust. That thing was NOT meant for long distances. Loudest thing I've ever heard. Fun as hell for a short time making all that rukus. It's definitely different to operate. Linked brakes, and when you go through a turn you really need to grasp the tank with your thighs, because physics wants you chuck you off. lol.

BTW I will not wave at them as they are not bikes .

They get the last laugh, they have their own "secret" wave that they only do between Spyders. It took me some time riding with some of them to catch it. ;)

And I wave to anything open air. In the last week I've waved to a few guys on Groms, a dirtbike guy blasting along the ditch beside me, and even a Vespa.

they are in open air wearing a helmet, all good, ride on
this bike gives them the option to keep riding

I see them all the time when I am at Two Wheel in Guelph picking up parts or something. Seem like nicely made rides. Some riders seem to use them as a "gateway", some find them more comfortable than a big tourer, some moving from a bike for medical reason. Most have the DCT/auto but I have seen some manual transmission ones too. As other have noted there seems to be more and more of them out there. More riders of Spyders help keep the doors open at the dealerships, help move more helmets, gear, parts etc which actually benefits all of us. Anything to help build the rider community is a good thing. :)

My neighbour has a harley trike, we wave at each other. Other neighbour has an old silverwing, also waves. Only love in my neighbourhood!

But can-am i think have their own class/license in quebec , which doesnt require a bike license obviously.

And yeah, the popularity of them down there is astonishing.

They get the last laugh, they have their own "secret" wave that they only do between Spyders. It took me some time riding with some of them to catch it. ;)

And I wave to anything open air. In the last week I've waved to a few guys on Groms, a dirtbike guy blasting along the ditch beside me, and even a Vespa.

I wave to pensioners on lawn tractors and those in disability chairs.

They are absolutely not for me, but I won't slam anyone too hard for riding one.

Is there no shared appeal with Ural sidecars, though? Not any more expensive, and they're a heck of a lot cooler

They are absolutely not for me, but I won't slam anyone too hard for riding one.

Is there no shared appeal with Ural sidecars, though? Not any more expensive, and they're a heck of a lot cooler

Yup...I want a sidecar rig for my dog. Might actually get my wife interested in bikes this way too. From what I read though a Ural is all about the experience....don't expect to get from A to B in a hurry.

Recall the other advantage especially in Quebec - they are decent in snow so can be ridden in far more conditions than a two wheeler.

[video=youtube;Hm0OG33pHx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0OG33pHx0[/video]

took one out last summer at an event at Ontario place. Agree with earlier comment about crazy loud - especially when it downshifts automatically. Also agree about how wife would ride passenger on one of them but not on my bike- not sure that is selling feature though, I kind of like my ME time. As I already own a convertible then not likely I would add a Spyder to the garage.

When I went through the U.S. last month I saw an awful lot of older people on Harley Trikes and Can-Ams. I think boomers are becoming too old to ride two wheels so trikes are the obvious answer. You have to remember the top end of this large generation is hitting its 70s, selling their Electra Glides and moving on.

Back
Top Bottom