Looking for advice: SV650SA vs FZ6 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for advice: SV650SA vs FZ6

I've found that to be the attitude of many dealers as of late (not all however)

They think they're in the 'busy' season so dont want to give you the time of day.

Or they just lack social skills(*Cough Vos *)

I've been in contact with 4 dealers over the last week browsing SV/FZ's...they were all fine

The call lasted all of about 30 seconds...this is literally word for word how the conversation went

Me: "Hi do you still have the SV650?"
Him: "Yeah"
Me: "I was wondering if you'd take my bike as a trade in on the SV"
Him: "What is it?"
Me: "It's a 2014 Ninja 300"
Him: "No"
Me: "Why not?"
Him: "It's too small"
Me: "I thought 250/300's moved pretty quickly"
Him: "You want to tell me how to run my business?"
Me: "Alright" and I hung up

I guess he was too busy to be polite on a Thursday afternoon?

I've been in contact with 4 dealers over the last week browsing SV/FZ's...they were all fine

I guess thats your definition of "fine"

Side note, I tried a FZ6 yesterday. Felt so strange sitting up so high, but I guess that just comes with the territory of being on a bigger bike + more upright. I opened it up a few times in 1st/2nd gear...my my I've been missing out. Wasn't enough seat time to get any real impressions/complaints other than the shifter being way too up high for me but at least that's a simple adjustment.

I guess thats your definition of "fine"
What bike did you end up buying? I think you narrowed it down to r3 or sv last time I heard.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I had an FZ6 before ... I've ridden SV650's as well. I prefer the top end rush of the FZ6 since it uses an older R6 motor. The top end rush is better than the torque on the SV (personal opinion)... depends on what you want to do with it... if your 'sporting' it around town than the SV is a BIT better (like 2%) but if your riding the daily grind the FZ6 is better. Having said that, to get a bit better 'feel' on it, I swapped the forks off an R6 into my FZ6 (direct swap) you just need new spacers for the wheel and brake calipers to fit otherwise its a direct fit ...

though having said that, my SV1000 is cheaper on insurance than the FZ6, go figure :p And its got more pull on bottom or top than the FZ6 :p

I own a 2007 FZ6 with 77k km and my brother used to have an SV. I think both bikes are great. Things I’ve noticed from riding the SV were as follows:

1) SV has a more aggressive seating position compared to the more upright position of the FZ6
2) You run out of revs in the SV much faster especially when you get used to I4 engines haha
3) You said the SV doesn’t sound good…you have to hear one with an M4 slip on, sounded great! Love the sound of a v-twin
4) Speaking of exhaust, an FZ6 with a no dB killer Leo Vince sounds pretty awesome too (what I have)
5) I’m always pleasantly surprised when I take my FZ6 past 10k rpm…it REALLY pulls. You leave the line nice and quick, then you hit 5.5k to 7k rpm where it doesn’t accelerate as strong but then you hit 10k to redline and you’re smiling ear to ear!
6) The transmission on the FZ6 could be better. I feel like the throw is too long and I’ve missed 1 to 2 shifts many times
7) I love the overall quality of the FZ6, and it’s a great touring bike if you’re into that (went to Cali and back)

Don't know where you live, but send me a PM if you want to see my bike

Last edited:
Gotta bump this. I'm looking to buy in the next few days, possibly even later today. Sold the Ninja already, feels empty at home without a bike :D

So I'm split between 1 specific FZ6 and a couple of SV650's. They're all listed around the $4k mark with relatively low km's (< 20,000km)

The FZ6 I'm looking at is a 2006, and I was really hoping to pick up a 07/08 because it got a few updates including new instrument cluster and front brakes. This specific bike has a naked headlight conversion, not sure how I feel about it yet but it's not repulsive by any means. Comes with the stock hardware anyway so I could always revert back as long as the wiring isn't mangled.

Of the couple of SV650's I'm looking at, one is the fully faired version with ABS (which was my ideal version of the SV).

With this all said, I still have not tried a SV. Probably should have at this point. But I think either way whichever one I buy, I'll always have thoughts of whether I should've bought the other one

So either way both bikes are great. The sv has a sweet engine, the power is truly there when you need it for street riding. The fz has a little more power but you may never realize it unless you spend your life at 10-14000 rpm.
Personally if both are stock, I'd give the nod to the fz simply for the ergos. It just feels right to me. YMMV
Lastly, every time I buy a bike I wonder if I should have bought the "other one". That's why I've owned around 80-100 bikes so far.

A little update: tried a SV650S today.

Everyday I rode the Ninja 300 I wished it had more aggressive ergos. I don't take that back, but after trying the SV...I'm not sure what I want anymore. It's not like the SV's riding position was painful, just not comfy. I did only ride it for a few minutes so no real conclusions established there yet.

I'll admit the FZ6's power did make me a tad nervous when I opened her up, but the SV didn't quite have that effect. I don't think it's the 20whp difference, I think it's how much higher I felt on the FZ6 when I was riding it (taller + sitting upright, made me feel like I was sitting on top of a bike instead of sitting in a cockpit if that makes sense). So in that aspect, I still like the sport bike ergos. I didn't really find slow speed maneuvers to be an issue on the SV. More cumbersome than something more upright, but hardly impossible.

Also, people weren't kidding about v-twin vibrations on the SV.

After trying both...I think I'm probably gonna end up with the more rational everyday choice - the FZ6. Now to just find a 2007/2008 bike with the updated/smoother fuel map and improved brakes.

Gotta bump this. I'm looking to buy in the next few days, possibly even later today. Sold the Ninja already, feels empty at home without a bike :D

So I'm split between 1 specific FZ6 and a couple of SV650's. They're all listed around the $4k mark with relatively low km's (< 20,000km)

The FZ6 I'm looking at is a 2006, and I was really hoping to pick up a 07/08 because it got a few updates including new instrument cluster and front brakes. This specific bike has a naked headlight conversion, not sure how I feel about it yet but it's not repulsive by any means. Comes with the stock hardware anyway so I could always revert back as long as the wiring isn't mangled.

Of the couple of SV650's I'm looking at, one is the fully faired version with ABS (which was my ideal version of the SV).

With this all said, I still have not tried a SV. Probably should have at this point. But I think either way whichever one I buy, I'll always have thoughts of whether I should've bought the other one

The naked one is better for around-town commuting, and has a more up-right seating position. I believe it has +1 tooth on the rear sprocket for acceleration (but less top-speed, as if that matters). I "chopped" my stock exhaust for FREE and it sounds incredible. With a few mods (mirrors, small fairing, belly pan), the nakeds go from boring to nicely styled. PM me if you ever wanna see it.

One hopes that doesn't translate to your SigO choices ;)
No sir. Been with her half my life. Though one wonders how she puts up with me and the bikes.

A little update: tried a SV650S today.

Everyday I rode the Ninja 300 I wished it had more aggressive ergos. I don't take that back, but after trying the SV...I'm not sure what I want anymore. It's not like the SV's riding position was painful, just not comfy. I did only ride it for a few minutes so no real conclusions established there yet.

I'll admit the FZ6's power did make me a tad nervous when I opened her up, but the SV didn't quite have that effect. I don't think it's the 20whp difference, I think it's how much higher I felt on the FZ6 when I was riding it (taller + sitting upright, made me feel like I was sitting on top of a bike instead of sitting in a cockpit if that makes sense). So in that aspect, I still like the sport bike ergos. I didn't really find slow speed maneuvers to be an issue on the SV. More cumbersome than something more upright, but hardly impossible.

Also, people weren't kidding about v-twin vibrations on the SV.

After trying both...I think I'm probably gonna end up with the more rational everyday choice - the FZ6. Now to just find a 2007/2008 bike with the updated/smoother fuel map and improved brakes.
This one looks pretty good. If he still has it he may be willing to negotiate more readily.

Please view this ad:

Yamaha FZ6 - $3800 OBO,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*3,800

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

I got a Fazer8. Very happy with it.

How much you looking to spend OP?

Fazer8 masterrace confirmed!

After a summer and a half on my Fazer8 I am a true convert - the only thing I plan to change out is the rear shock and probably the brakes (I always had SS/SBK rides before and the stock brakes on this thing are a spongy feeling nightmare).

I get between 4.6 and 5.2L/100km, and the thing has more than enough power to get yourself in trouble.

---

That said, I probably wouldn't go from a 300 to an FZ8...an SV or FZ6 is the next logical step up and your insurance bill will thank you. Even though it's only got 100 hp the FZ8 isn't really for beginners or newer riders, and I say that thinking of your safety not condescension.

Fazer8 masterrace confirmed!

After a summer and a half on my Fazer8 I am a true convert - the only thing I plan to change out is the rear shock and probably the brakes (I always had SS/SBK rides before and the stock brakes on this thing are a spongy feeling nightmare).

I get between 4.6 and 5.2L/100km, and the thing has more than enough power to get yourself in trouble.

---

That said, I probably wouldn't go from a 300 to an FZ8...an SV or FZ6 is the next logical step up and your insurance bill will thank you. Even though it's only got 100 hp the FZ8 isn't really for beginners or newer riders, and I say that thinking of your safety not condescension.

I checked out a Fazer8 a while back when Snow City had a used one. Only sat on it for a few seconds but seemed too big for my liking. The FZ6/SV650 feel like a comfortable upgrade in size from the 300, the Fazer8 definitely didn't feel that way. Seemed like a similar height to the FZ6 but much wider.

Don't let the first impression of size "faze" you. It's one of those things you'd very quickly "get used to". As well, the Fazer8 loses a good deal of its perceived heft when in motion. Love mine though I sat on an FZ-10 last weekend and loved that too :)

I've never ridden a FZ6. I own a 2000 SV650s. I find the SV is perfect for commuting. The combination of low end torque and light weight are great assets in traffic.

This one looks pretty good. If he still has it he may be willing to negotiate more readily.

Please view this ad:

Yamaha FZ6 - $3800 OBO,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*3,800

I actually signed up just to post this and because I don't want anyone to get ripped off or go through the effort like I did. If interested, I can PM you evidence that I went to go see this bike. The bike is very, very unfit to buy.

The less serious stuff:
front brake lever brakes fine, but the light comes on randomly and stays on, super dangerous IMO but not a hard fix
Key inserts oddly, possibly damaged/stolen?
Probably needs a rear brake reservoir flush
Front tire has VERY little tread, would not pass safety 100%

The really serious stuff:
The engine is FLOODED with gas. Like literally flooded. I took out the dipstick and it started pouring out, very fluid, so I drained 1-2L of "oil" and smelled the oil; it smelled strongly of gas. I asked my mechanic and he predicted based on my description that a large portion of the gas must have leaked into the engine if I smelled it that strongly and how fluid it was. My buddy who is also a mechanic told me that he himself would 100% not buy a bike in that condition. I took it for a test drive anyways to see what could be wrong, and it ran horribly. Worst i4 bike I've ever ridden. My best guess (based on what I could squeeze out of the owner) is that he crashed on it, but replaced cosmetic parts and frame sliders, and it kept running while sideways, so either the fuel injector is cracked/leaking into the engine, or its running way too rich for some reason, or a piston ring is shot. The way it sounded when idling and how it felt while riding made me think that one of the cylinders was starved of oil and no longer fires, and leaks gas into the oil. I am not a mechanic so I'm not perfect, but even I could tell that it was a horrible choice.

After seeing the other fz6, fz6r, and sv650s on the market, I think I might just go with a stealership or buy either the fz6r or sv650, or even keep riding my current bike. All of the fz6 posted have either serious mechanical issues, too much work required to keep running at the end of the season, or very high kms. There is one in Oakville and a red one at a dealership in Waterloo that might be worth considering. Or maybe I'll even get a honda hornet, if I can deal with carbs again.

EDIT: Just remembered and thought I'd add it in; the seller for the Chatham ad is also a very young male, which further adds to a higher probability of the bike being abused.

Last edited:
Op you aren't going to get 3500$ for a trade in on a 300. trade with mine and the going rate for trade in is 2500$ in perfect condition. sell it privatly.

Back
Top Bottom