Suzuki GSXR voltage regulators $20 - any good? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki GSXR voltage regulators $20 - any good?

There's no way to tell OEM from cheap imitation.

On two of my bikes that came OEM with crap voltage regulators, I am using Shindengen (sp?) MOSFET voltage regulators. Shindengen is the OEM manufacturer for a lot, possibly most/all, such voltage regulators. They all look pretty much the same with the only difference being what style of electrical connector it has (and mine look just like this one but with no external wiring and the plug built into the regulator housing itself). Both of them have been fine.

Biggest trouble with many of the gixxers is the stupid place where they put the regulator. If yours has it mounted on the left side of the bike at the front of the engine, behind the radiator and above the exhaust header pipes, you could hardly think of a worse place to put something that has to reject heat on its own. I know there are relocation kits available to let you put the voltage regulator someplace else on the bike. Do that.

It's funny how so many bikes throughout their run change where the R/R goes. It always seems to start with "I think we can get away with putting it here" and always gets moved because "nope, that didn't work"

There's no way to tell OEM from cheap imitation.

On two of my bikes that came OEM with crap voltage regulators, I am using Shindengen (sp?) MOSFET voltage regulators. Shindengen is the OEM manufacturer for a lot, possibly most/all, such voltage regulators. They all look pretty much the same with the only difference being what style of electrical connector it has (and mine look just like this one but with no external wiring and the plug built into the regulator housing itself). Both of them have been fine.

Biggest trouble with many of the gixxers is the stupid place where they put the regulator. If yours has it mounted on the left side of the bike at the front of the engine, behind the radiator and above the exhaust header pipes, you could hardly think of a worse place to put something that has to reject heat on its own. I know there are relocation kits available to let you put the voltage regulator someplace else on the bike. Do that.

+1 reallocation on the newer GSXR's is a must

Have to shake your head when you see where they put it

It's funny how so many bikes throughout their run change where the R/R goes. It always seems to start with "I think we can get away with putting it here" and always gets moved because "nope, that didn't work"

+1 reallocation on the newer GSXR's is a must

Have to shake your head when you see where they put it

That tells me people are designing and building bikes that are not riders or owners.
Clearly they did not consult with mechanics or review their repair logs.

Hey, this thing gets hot. Ok let's put it where it really gets hot then it will be hotter. Hey, you are smart.

or

This things needs to stay cool, place it where air can flow over it.

duh!

That tells me people are designing and building bikes that are not riders or owners.
Clearly they did not consult with mechanics or review their repair logs.

Hey, this thing gets hot. Ok let's put it where it really gets hot then it will be hotter. Hey, you are smart.

or

This things needs to stay cool, place it where air can flow over it.

duh!

Or the bean-counters overrule the engineers (hey, we can save 1.3 cents of copper wiring per unit if we put it "here" instead of "there").

Or it has been found to last at least a month past the warranty period, so it's good enough.

Or it's nowhere on the FMEA ("failure mode effects analysis" for those outside the auto industry) so the potential issue simply never comes up.

Or it's a conscious decision ... let's design something that will fail 4 or 5 years into the ownership period, past warranty, when the bike's value is heading downhill, to encourage the owner to trade in for a new model.

My cbr125 has the regulator in a similar place, but that engine doesn't make enough heat to cook it! And the engine is smaller, so it's less densely packed around where the regulator is, there's plenty of room for airflow even though it's behind the radiator. "hey, it was ok in that application, let's put it there on this 120 horsepower bike as well!"

If you want a super stable rectifier, get a new out
out of a R1 . They use a mosfet style. With a new
connector kit - they last a while.

Back
Top Bottom