Any 1 good with computers? Fan issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any 1 good with computers? Fan issue

FattBoyy

Hey folks

I have a gaming laptop and the fan is constantly running and it's super loud.
I bought it used last year and it's been this way ever since. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this?

Brand: Ibuypower
Processor: Intel i7 4700mq @ 2.4 ghz
Ram 16 vg
Graphic card: nvidia GE force gtx 765m
Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard

Thanks

When our work HP Elitebook laptops have the fans running all the time, the first thing we do is take the cover off and clean out the fan and venting.
There's usually a build up of dust and debris that's not allowing the fan to cool the CPU as a result of airflow restriction.
You would be surprised at how clogged the vents can become.

Try cleaning it out first with canned air, a vacuum or compressor and see if that makes a difference.

Ok and I will add , it's running Windows 10 and there is not much loaded on the computer. So I am not sure what's keeping it busy

just being turned on, the fan needs to be running. Depending on what it's doing, the fan may need to run faster or slower. But the quick clean is a good idea to start with.

take it apart
replace the thermal pace on the cpu with a good brand e.g. Noctua
clean out all the dirty with rubbing alcohol and q tips

of course remove the battery and power cable
let dry for 10 minutes before connecting power

everything else you try is almost pointless

check the fins on the cooling block/radiator
if it comes apart, wash it under the tap

When our work HP Elitebook laptops have the fans running all the time, the first thing we do is take the cover off and clean out the fan and venting.
There's usually a build up of dust and debris that's not allowing the fan to cool the CPU as a result of airflow restriction.
You would be surprised at how clogged the vents can become.

Try cleaning it out first with canned air, a vacuum or compressor and see if that makes a difference.

It doesn't hurt to try but as I'm sure you know laptops get filled with some groady stuff. Usually it's a matrix of hair/dust with a suspension of food particles. Typically very resilient to just getting blown out.

take it apart

Be careful about removing a thermal pad and replacing it with paste - some heatsink retention mechanisms on laptops may not be able to deal with the increased clearance

take it apart

of course remove the battery and power cable
let dry for 10 minutes before connecting power

everything else you try is almost pointless

check the fins on the cooling block/radiator
if it comes apart, wash it under the tap

I hope you're only referring to the heat sink when "cleaning out all the dirty with rubbing alcohol and q-tips"...

FWIW HP uses very cheap components in their laptops causing them to fail prematurely.

Source: Working as a HP/Dell tech in the past, I'd say 80% of the returned/refurbish and warranty/repairs were HP laptops.

Last edited:
Blasting air won't do anything. As stated above (and below) take it apart and get right in there.

If it is louder than it originally was, then +1 for blowing out as much as you can with compressed air, as well as removing the heatsink (if possible), cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, then applying a thin layer (just thick enough to cover) with a quality thermal paste.

As for logic...most computers these days have intelligent fans/cooling systems that ramp up the fan RPM when temperatures increase. If there is anything blocking the 'exhaust', then they will spin up to max RPM in an attempt to cool the system down. Granted, if you are putting more load on the laptop/computer than you used to, then you will get increase fan noise as well.

Download some temperature diagnostic tools and see if the fans are running fast because the system is legitimately hot, or if they're just doing so because they've decided to have a mind of their own. Some of the better temp diagnostic tools may also be able to command the fans directly....but be careful, slowing them down if there is a legitimate heat issue is just asking for hardware failure.

If you completely unload the computer into a dead idle state...do they slow down?

It's been my experience with Windows machines that seem to be running at 100% load all the time (resulting in the fans screaming constantly) that they've got bogged down with crapware/malware/adware that is actually indeed loading them down and making them work flat out. Again, using diagnostic tools to check out the CPU load at what *should* be a quiet idle is often telling - is it indeed idling at only a few % of CPU usage, or even doing "nothing" is the CPU still pegged to 100%?

Open task manager and check how much CPU is actually in use.
Then install something to monitor temperature.

If the CPU is not in use and the temperature is down, it's a setting somewhere or possible software issue.
If the CPU is in use and the temperature is up, it's a software problem.
If the CPU is not in use and the temperature is up, it's a hardware problem (probably plugged up heatsink or bad thermal compound).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom