Dual Mikuni TM36-68 HELP needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Mikuni TM36-68 HELP needed

socom51

I restored old legendary bike Suzuki DR800 Dakar. The engine was send to a guru in Germany for overhaul. new piston,camshaft, air filter etc... I have NEW dual Mikuni TM36-68 installed. It worked perfect 1500km and recently started to die after deceleration or randomly on low rpm. I have to wait up to 30min and starts like new. Very scary when it happens in traffic.
I need somebody familiar with the dual carb system. How to adjust it. Everything else is checked and rechecked many times. Gas lines,pump,tanks ,filters everything works.

Attachments

• 20160719_0853581.jpg
    20160719_0853581.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 24
If it starts like new after 30 minutes you may have a poorly vented fuel tank. Can you ride with a loose gas cap to confirm? Awesome bike btw.:)

Might as well check all of the vent hoses.
check = removing and ensuring there are no clogs inside, flow water through

Is there a sensor on that bike that protects it from over heating...thermostat??

Thank you for the suggestion. They are very busy for my problem. Told me to contact them during the off season. Who rides then?

Yeas I have heat sensor and auto fan installed. it is air cooled engine.

ok try this
can you bypass the sensor? make something to bypass it if possible and test on a cool night.
What if you unplug the sensor then start the bike? Does it start?

remove the sensor and try to clean it with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol

* I am guessing to the general aspect of your problem since I do not know how that bike functions mechanically.

It is not a complicated bike. The sensor is not connected to anything. It runs a fan. it is aftermarket kit . Plugs into engine area to monitor temp and activates the fan. it is not related with the CDI

Actually yesterday I was playing with the pilot fuel screw . After that it ran all day perfect. I put it trough all kind of torture tests. It worked. Late in the evening I had to meet a friend. Fire the bike and it died o the first light. GRRRR

Maybe your fuel line is getting too hot? Google "vapour lock".

Check that too. The lines are far from the engine and it happens at random temperatures. One think only good in the morning fires up immediately. Go figure...

I'm no expert by any means but the only thing I can think of is to check compression. Whenever my bike acts like this it turns out a ring is tweaked and it's about to die completely and the more I try it/ride it the worse I make it until it won't work at all anymore and I'm stranded on the side of the road and then have a $1000 rebuild cost. Last time it only made it 2000 km before this happened. But mine's a 2 stroke so very different.

Also check electrical, it is a simple thing. You need spark, fuel and air, missing one and you are done...

Bring an extra plug with you, when it dies pull a wire, place the spare plug's ground against the head and put the plug wire on it. Don't hold on to it! Turn it over and look for spark. You can also just pull a plug and do the same thing but I find this way easier. Night is better to see the spark. You may have a bad or flaky ground, or another ignition problem causing the bike to die, feels like a fuel problem but it may not be.

Thank ,thank you all . The piston/rings and everything inside is new. Electrical and CDI was checked and it is not . Sparks -checked. Coils checked!
It is kind of reach/lean or lack of fuel mess. If I suck trough the vent tubes ...fires like new???Today even on stand after high rpm died. SO I'm sending the carbs back to Germany. let them figure out the problem. They have same bikes and deal with the same problems.

Oh you said it had 1500 km on it. If it's running way lean that's plenty to wreck the rings and piston I'd think.

I never thought rejetting was something you had to send a carb overseas for...

How much does this cost sending parts back to Germany? No one here can service the bike? They are rare I know, but in the last few months I have seen 2 for sale in Canada and I think they were around $3500 - $4000 if memory serves me correctly. One of the sellers was a mechanic who worked at Dual Sport Plus I think.

You'll have more luck with tuning carbs here, on a running bike. The only thing they can do in Germany is a bench set up. It's not at all the same thing. Any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose and fix this. It's a 1980's Suzuki, not a one off custom.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom