Is it impossible to get insurance for a new rider? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it impossible to get insurance for a new rider?

No company should have a Ninja 500 blacklisted.

They're probably assuming it's one of the ZX models. Tell them you want a quote by VIN and you should be fine.

Didn't your motorcycle safety course give you your M2 qualification when you graduated? Most courses include the M2 test as part of the program. Perhaps you still need to find an M2 course.

After I had graduated my course, I had to finish the waiting period on my M1, 90 days, I suppose, then just take the paperwork from the course to the testing centre to have my license upgraded, with no more tests.

I got insurance from TD Meloche Monnex after my course, while I was waiting out the waiting period to upgrade from M1 to M2. They simply requested that I upgrade my license ASAP, and let them know when it was done.

I am probably older than your parents, though, and have been driving ever since I was old enough. Since you are 25, I don't expect that your age would count against you.

Owning a motorcycle is definitely something for those with disposable income. It was the same 20 years ago when I started riding, and it'll be the same 20 years from now.

I disagree. We used to be able to ride 50cc gas scooters on the streets. Not sure a license or insurance was required.
Quebec still allows it. You will see large packs of teens buzzing by on their 50cc Yamaha Bw50 scooters.

Ontario imposed rules on the 50cc scooters therefore less riders.
It would seem a 50cc machine is good enough to reduce traffic in the gta especially those living in/around the downtown core.

A person let's say between 18-24 riding an old 1970-80's CB type bike (not sport bike) should not be paying these ridiculous rates.
The bike cost $500 -$1000, cheap for them to get around.

We all damn well know insurance is a sham here in Ontario.

We now have those ebikes which look like 50cc scooters and certainly move fast enough yet no license or insurance required for them.
double standards?

A person let's say between 18-24 riding an old 1970-80's CB type bike (not sport bike) should not be paying these ridiculous rates.
The bike cost $500 -$1000, cheap for them to get around.
With The Personal, generally the older the vehicle, the higher the insurance. Although I got a quote for a 1994 Monster 900 and a 2006 (I think) Monster 620 and the 900 was cheaper by a hundred or two.

Almost identical profile as me (26 yr old, G since 2008, M1 earlier this year), I had 0 issues insuring my Ninja 300 with Dalton Timmis. I'm paying a little less than $1500/yr for full coverage on the bike, I assume the Ninja 500 should be in the same ball park.

I believe Aviva's policy is as long as you've completed your M1x course, they'll insure you as a M2 holder. I didn't end up insuring my bike until after I got my M2 anyway but I was told as long as I have my certificate they would insure me as a M2 rider.

I did a quote using the OP info and made up the rest, got a crazy price for an 2007 ex500r (no regular ex500 on the list). I listed the address in Toronto, somewhere down town not sure how big of a difference that makes. Anyways, from Intact the price given was $5,370 a year or $448 a month. I then removed collision to see how much it would change and the price went down to $4,951. Might be worth the wait for that 45 days for your M2.

www.ridersplus.com online insurance quote.

Could you please give me the contact for the broker you went through? It would be greatly appreciated. I contacted a broker and she said that aviva won't insure with an m2 and 1 year of riding experience.

A Ninja 500 (EX500) is an amazing and very common beginner bike - it blows my mind that people would feel the need to suggest a lower number of CCs when reading this thread.

We need to start up an insurance cooperative that only handles the bare minimum liability and get rates down to where they need to be - hundreds per year, not hundreds per month.

I disagree. We used to be able to ride 50cc gas scooters on the streets. Not sure a license or insurance was

We now have those ebikes which look like 50cc scooters and certainly move fast enough yet no license or insurance required for them.
double standards?

Wiith all due respect, perhaps you've missed all of the e-bike related issues happening, including drunk driving, crashes, and injuries to both riders and pedestrians? Not to mention the issues with the fact all these problem riders are running around with zero responsibility due to the lack of licensing or insurance?

If you're trying to use the "success" of E-bikes as an argument for cheap insurance on motorcycles, sorry, that's a tough one to swallow. The day is soon coming when all the exceptions these things (which are effectively a vehicle) exempt from so many of the rules because of technicalities (they have pedals) is coming to an end. People using them will still have an option to get around without licensing and insurance – they're called bicycles.

A Ninja 500 (EX500) is an amazing and very common beginner bike - it blows my mind that people would feel the need to suggest a lower number of CCs when reading this thread.

We need to start up an insurance cooperative that only handles the bare minimum liability and get rates down to where they need to be - hundreds per year, not hundreds per month.

The suggestion of lower CC's is not to discourage the EX500, sure they were/are a great bike, albeit, they are getting dated.

Lower CC's may be a means to an end for the OP to be able to ride with an affordable rate in the near term. Unfortunately being 25ish, isn't totally in his favour quite yet. Are we getting a raw deal on costs, absolutely, so you either decide the cost is worth the price of admission, or seek an alternative solution.

Have to chime in as I was in the USA and i ran into an 18 yr old rider, new R3 who is paying $13 a month with State farm. They do have different liability rules, when I told him how much i pay for my S1000R,he said that was almost half the cost of his bike.

No I do not think we are getting anywhere near reasonable rates here, it is a fu ing joke.

BB

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I've called an insane number of brokers this week and it has been quite stressful.

I was able to get insurance with Aviva through Chris South for an extremely reasonable rate. He is a great guy and I would highly recommend him.

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I've called an insane number of brokers this week and it has been quite stressful.

I was able to get insurance with Aviva through Chris South for an extremely reasonable rate. He is a great guy and I would highly recommend him.
Good to hear that it worked out for you.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Great news. Now join the EX500 forum, adjust your idle screw as it probably needs it, think about reupholstering the seat if you're going any distance, put some extra heavy bar ends on the bike from manic salamander to reduce the vibrations and have some fun. That bike is a great beginner bike and it will make you smile. Get some crash bungs fitted too, they are pretty reasonable for that bike and they saved me a fair bit of cash I would have spent on bodywork.

Back
Top Bottom