Is it impossible to get insurance for a new rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it impossible to get insurance for a new rider?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I recently got a Ninja 500 and I have been desperately trying to find insurance. However, it seems to be an impossible task. I've been searching through the forums and have seen a number of posts about new riders getting insurance in Ontario. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

About me:
-25 y/o
-M1: July 5, 2016
-Completed motorcycle safety course
- I have a full G license and have been insured since 2007
- No accidents/tickets/cancellations

Attempts to get insurance:
- TD Meloche Monnex: require a minimum 3 years of experience
- Statefarm: Can't insure on an M1
- Echelon: Can't insure the ninja (but willing to insure a honda rebel 250?)
- Intact: 6k/year
- I've also called 5 brokers and have had no luck

Now I understand that I will likely have to wait until my m2 to get insurance (about 45 more days). However, every broker I've called has said that I will still be paying 5-6k a year. This sounds insane. How the heck is everyone else getting decent insurance quotes?? Am I missing something? Please help!!

Did you let the insurance companies know that you have successfully completed the course? Some companies will give you the M2 rate based on that.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Finding insurance on an M1 is going to be tough. A friend of mine got an R3 and took a certified M1X course but basically had to wait until the time had passed and he had his M2 before he could get coverage (he went through Rider's Plus).

Look here for more options:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?28-Insurance

You might have to consider a bike with fewer ccs and fewer HP than the Ninja you have now...

Buy a 50 cc scooter and use facility insurance for a year. Then get the Ninja insured....you went at it backwards....insurance quotes - first then buy a bike.

One year from the M1 date is a massive drop, insurance experience or not is what I was told by a broker when I started out. I paid a lot the first year on a 250 (enough that I don't want to admit it haha) dropped 70% year two, underwriter was Intact. Get the M2 through a course and hold on a year if money's too tight

Not that it should make any difference but the Ninja 500 is a Ninja in name only, call it an EX500 and it may make some agents look a little harder at it and classify it correctly. It's a great beginner bike, I started on one but my insurance was just north of a thousand at the time and times have changed.

It shouldn't be that hard given the bike is under 600cc and isn't a supersport. Not saying it won't be expensive, but it shouldn't be impossible to insure.

Also make note of your VIN and have them run that when giving you quotes. Helps with the "Oh a Ninja...we don't do sportsbikes" bit. I've run into the same thing with my CBR650F, since they hear "CBR", and instantly consider it the same as a CBR600RR or CBR1000RR. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Ninja 500R falls under sportsbike for some, and sports tourer for others. You want the latter since rates will be lower.

Also TD must have changed things...when I started I insured my CBR250RA with them under my M1 at 29 years old. Only stipulation they had was that I had to pass the M2 test or they'd cancel my insurance.

Last edited:
Call Dalton Timmis and ask for Andy Singh, get a quote from him. I'll bet you a Starbucks you won't be disappointed.

I had state Farm last year with my M1. Actually I got insurance with them the day I got my M1. I paid 1600 / yr for my 2014 ninja 300. Now I'm paying 1900 with them on my 2016 FZ-09. Same coverage. 1 mill liability, 1000 ded. For comp, no collision.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Wow... things changed at state farm in 2 years.... I was told when I got my bike that state farm does NOT differentiate between M1 and M2.... I was able to insure my R6 there with just my M1...however that was the year before the certas buy out...
However the next year they wanted to increase it by about 50% lol

Last edited:
It's not impossible, just very very expensive. Contact the agents mentioned so far by others.

Is this part of the new long term strategy to deter new bikers from getting started?

Owning a motorcycle is definitely something for those with disposable income. It was the same 20 years ago when I started riding, and it'll be the same 20 years from now.

I started at 24 (3 months before my 25th bday) with a brand new 650R with full insurance coverage at $430/month with an M2. When I turned 25 it dropped to $140/month. Your quotes seem high. Although I also lived out in the country outside of Guelph.

have you connected with any of the insurance vendors on the forum?

sounds high, but not surprised, that "Ninja" name is a problem, if i recall it is likely on the black list meaning you are going to get hooped as a novice.

might be worth parking the bike for a year or selling and picking up a 250 +/- standard as an interim bike. there are some older Dual Sports available or some low displacement standards TU250's GWS250's (ugly, but quite a nice riding/capable little bike) CRF's, I am sure there are others.

If you have a current broker that you have history with they should be willing to help you navigate this. If not I would also recommend Chris South, no guarantees he can help, but my wifes bikes was done though him, very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom