Tank Slapper Crash

Neil_V

Site Supporter
Ottawa area?

[video=youtube;ObdequWUJ3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdequWUJ3U[/video]

Track days could have saved this guy.

Are you being sarcastic or serious?

Because in this specific case, they would've lol

How would track days have saved this guy???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would track days have saved this guy???

Based on your picture...don't you race?! lol

On the nerdy basic physics level:

A tank slapper is caused by a sudden transfer of force from the rear to the front when the front wheel is not aligned straight. Because motorcycles are designed like shopping carts (rake and trail), the wheel always wants to go straight.

The problem is that the rider will do stupid **** like drop the throttle or death grip the handle bars, both of which prolong the tank slapper. The correct solution is loose grip, and more acceleration.

You have experienced this during races for sure because if you get enough drive out of any hairpin turn you'll loosen the front to the point where it could fall back down at a weird angle. Then you get some handlebar shakes. But chances are you never notice it because you're not dropping the throttle or death gripping the bars.

True I guess I don't do the death grip or chop the throttle. Normally I would just ride threw it with acceleration. I would also think my damper is doing most of the work preventing it from happening too. I wouldn't really think that track days or racing has helped me know what to do in a tank slapper situation tho. I've also taken phase 1-3 of fast school and don't recall that being taught to us. I was just wondering how track days would help the guy.

True I guess I don't do the death grip or chop the throttle. Normally I would just ride threw it with acceleration. I would also think my damper is doing most of the work preventing it from happening too. I wouldn't really think that track days or racing has helped me know what to do in a tank slapper situation tho. I've also taken phase 1-3 of fast school and don't recall that being taught to us. I was just wondering how track days would help the guy.

You developed the loose grip and not dropping throttle through seat time on the track. I've rarely heard of a track day junkie or racer have issues with tank slappers where as on the street it's very common due to the reasons listed above.

Yeah, I think the biggest factor here is that the bike doesn't have a damper. He didn't chop the throttle, and correctly carried through with the acceleration. Had there have been a damper, he likely would have been fine.

Back
Top Bottom