Racing School | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racing School

rwhammond

Hey guys,

I am looking to start racing next season and wanted to get some opinions.

Is it worth the investment in Racer5 or RACE school programs, or should i stick with doing track days and go for my racing license next season?

Proper instruction is always good to have.
I just completed FAST Phase 1 and 2 and couldn't be more pleased.
Having instructors and pro riders available to critique and offer feedback after each session was incredible.

Do the racer 5 or FAST program.

FAST is good, so is racer 5. Comparing the two, FAST has some really top level pro instructors, but is pricier. Racer 5 has more levels, more track time and a lower relative cost, so it is better value IMO. Specifically for the first 3 stages. You won't go wrong with either though.

Having instruction will give an objective view of your riding, things you don't see. You can do trackdays and figure it out, but having a pro show you what you can improve just speeds up the process.

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I dont know anyone else who has done either program so I figured I would ask.

Hey guys,

I am looking to start racing next season and wanted to get some opinions.

Is it worth the investment in Racer5 or RACE school programs, or should i stick with doing track days and go for my racing license next season?

Congrats on getting into racing. If you can do either Fast or Racer 5 this summer, then you can use that to apply for your license.

i'm going to go against the grain here. how well do you ride at your td's? are you comfortable and running well on the racing line? i've done fast 123 and a turn 2 day and a couple of race seasons. if you already have a dedicated track bike and comfortably ride a decent pace you could do the friday soar race school to get your licence. like wise you could do a RACE or fast school day to get your licence. the money you could save on multiple school days could provide you with more seat time actually practicing/racing. Don't get me wrong the schools are great. depends a lot on your mindset and comfort level on the track (in other words, can you run at your fastest pace without getting caught up in the race and riding over your head? will you stay cool and concentrating?). for me it was seat time at speed that i enjoyed the most (practice or race). friday practice days are the best bang for the buck and there are some good racers who will critique your riding just for asking.

Last edited:
i'm going to go against the grain here. how well do you ride at your td's? are you comfortable and running well on the racing line? i've done fast 123 and a turn 2 day and a couple of race seasons. if you already have a dedicated track bike and comfortably ride a decent pace you could do the friday soar race school to get your licence. like wise you could do a RACE or fast school day to get your licence. the money you could save on multiple school days could provide you with more seat time actually practicing/racing. Don't get me wrong the schools are great. depends a lot on your mindset and comfort level on the track (in other words, can you run at your fastest pace without getting caught up in the race and riding over your head? will you stay cool and concentrating?). for me it was seat time at speed that i enjoyed the most (practice or race). friday practice days are the best bang for the buck and there are some good racers who will critique your riding just for asking.

This was my thought when I started racing too. I took the 1 day course through RACE in 2005, and spent a **** ton of money on track days and racing.

However where I learned the most was when I started racing (125s and 250s) guys like Chris Peris, and Matt Binns were just starting as well, so there were a lot of fast guys you could learn from.

Tagging on to the back of a fast rider, even for a few corners is a great way to learn. And more importantly...walk around the pits and talk to people.

I spent a lot of last year following Eric Quinten around on track learning where he was fast, and I was slow. By the end of the year I had shaved off 9 seconds and was a podium threat every time my bike actually wanted to work. This year I have done the same with Jared Walker...stayed behind him, learned his lines and where his markers are...then made a mental note where I could pass him.

Back
Top Bottom