K7 600 is sick :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

K7 600 is sick :(

itinkle

So heres what happened.
drove normal ride 2 up for 30 minutes. Let the fan run as usual after to cool down. Turned off.
-turned back on but it suddenly acted like it had no juice. Also notice there was very noticable heat come from under the seat and exiting out the rear of the seat. Bike smelled like rotten eggs. Not the first time I smelled this.
-got a boost and headed home.
-first traffic light on my exit, the lights started to fade.
-got home, shut off the bike. Attempted to turn it on again and it made all sorts of terrible noises.
-fuel light starts flashing, headlight flashing, sounds like the sounds it makes on the usual start up, only cutting and skipping like a cd. Sounds like the fuel pump is just starting to turn on over and over. One attempt to turn the bike on and it make the nastiest buzz. Like..."no please don't"
-took out the battery and put it on a charger.

-stuck without a working bike :(. Room mate said it might be a stator problem? I tried to upload the video but it is too big at 7 seconds :(

Call Suzuki, give them your VIN, check what recalls have been done.

There are two R/R recalls iirc.

Sounds like a problem with the electrical system for sure.
I had a similar problem with a car years ago. I went through two batteries in a few weeks.
The alternator was shot and it was turning out voltage far in excess of 12 volts, which destroyed the batteries.
My mechanic finally checked the alternator.
You said it started fine with a boost. I wouldn't ride it until you check the things mentioned above except to get it to the shop.
An over-voltage can destroy the wiring. The wiring itself is not that expensive, but getting at it generally involves removing the engine etc.
$300 for new wiring, $1000 labor sort of thing.

Last edited:
Well rotten egg smell is your battery acid. How old is the battery?

I just bought the battery for SON this year :( when I went to take the battery out, it was umcomfortably hot. I've never taken one out after riding so I don't know how hot they get, but I suspect it is the source of all the heat escaping from underneath me. I've heard of potential rectifier/regulator problems with my bike. Any way for me to fix that on my own or get a buddy to help or do I need to take this somewhere to get fixed?

I just bought the battery for SON this year :( when I went to take the battery out, it was umcomfortably hot. I've never taken one out after riding so I don't know how hot they get, but I suspect it is the source of all the heat escaping from underneath me. I've heard of potential rectifier/regulator problems with my bike. Any way for me to fix that on my own or get a buddy to help or do I need to take this somewhere to get fixed?

Do you have a GSXR? Most of the modern models have had R/R recalls. My 08 750 has had 2. My other buddy's 06 had 1 (might be a 2nd one too, don't rmb).

So again, call Suzuki, give them your vin and ask them if the recall has been done.

stop wondering and listen and follow the advice here

you have a dead battery, it seems new so likely next culprit it's the rr and maybe the stator
call suzuki for the recall on the rr
relocate the rr as posted above to prevent future issues

it's easy and does not hurt to check the stator for burnt coils (take it apart)
if they are look at the after market stuff from ...damn! I forgot the company that in Quebec I think...they seem to bake nice stuff (better than OEM).

If you are not covered by suzuki buy the mosfet rr and stator from the company I forget the name of.
I think it's $350 for the entire kit, gaskets and all.

good luck

stop wondering and listen and follow the advice here

you have a dead battery, it seems new so likely next culprit it's the rr and maybe the stator
call suzuki for the recall on the rr
relocate the rr as posted above to prevent future issues

it's easy and does not hurt to check the stator for burnt coils (take it apart)
if they are look at the after market stuff from ...damn! I forgot the company that in Quebec I think...they seem to bake nice stuff (better than OEM).

If you are not covered by suzuki buy the mosfet rr and stator from the company I forget the name of.
I think it's $350 for the entire kit, gaskets and all.

good luck

Is installing the kit something a noob could google and learn to do overnight or is this something I need help with? I call suzuki and looked online, no recall for r/r/s for 2007 models, but they do have it for 2008 models.

Is installing the kit something a noob could google and learn to do overnight or is this something I need help with? I call suzuki and looked online, no recall for r/r/s for 2007 models, but they do have it for 2008 models.

check youtube
I think you have to remove about 6-8 bolts in total.
It's not hard, read up first, take your time.
Make a post, some ppl here can probably help you out.

Go buy the aftermarket kit...still can't remember the name of that place...

油井緋色;2432749 said:
Call Suzuki, give them your VIN, check what recalls have been done.

There are two R/R recalls iirc.
Not for this year. They pretended it never happened in 06-07

You need a new r/r and most likely a new stator too. As well as a new battery. 06-07 are pos and it will fry it again due to design flaws. Prolly just wanna sell it after you fix it.

In the meantime...did you check the fluid level on the battery? Putting a boiled dry battery on a charger isn't going to do much. ;)

You probably need water. Source some reverse osmosis water from somewhere (grocery stores sometimes carry it) and fill up with that. Then charge again.

You need a new r/r and most likely a new stator too. As well as a new battery. 06-07 are pos and it will fry it again due to design flaws. Prolly just wanna sell it after you fix it.

This bike has been solid for me for so long. But now that I have this problem, youtube and google are showing me so many people with the same problem. Yet its not a recall issue? I'll have to order up a new r/r and reposition it in the airbox. Hoping I don't have to buy a stator too :(

So today was my first day opening up the tank and almost seeing my engine. However, I can't get that damn airbox off. The part where you put a screw driver through the frame to get this damn screw...fml. Any suggestions? Also, one butterfly clip is on backwards from the manufacture. How the hell are you suppose to pinch it to slide it down enough to unhook the hose?

I'm trying my hardest to not succumb to bringing my baby to a dealership to get raped. I can see what needs to be done and there is no way this should be a $500 (in labor) job.

my plan is to sell it after the fix. Many potential buyers are educated and have asked often about the r/r and if it has been fixed.

This bike has been solid for me for so long. But now that I have this problem, youtube and google are showing me so many people with the same problem. Yet its not a recall issue? I'll have to order up a new r/r and reposition it in the airbox. Hoping I don't have to buy a stator too

So today was my first day opening up the tank and almost seeing my engine. However, I can't get that damn airbox off. The part where you put a screw driver through the frame to get this damn screw...fml. Any suggestions? Also, one butterfly clip is on backwards from the manufacture. How the hell are you suppose to pinch it to slide it down enough to unhook the hose?

I'm trying my hardest to not succumb to bringing my baby to a dealership to get raped. I can see what needs to be done and there is no way this should be a $500 (in labor) job.

my plan is to sell it after the fix. Many potential buyers are educated and have asked often about the r/r and if it has been fixed.

Not to be rude or anything, but "I can't do it" and "dealer will rape me"? You see the irony?... Easy next time. Tools and experience don't just drop outta the sky man. That said, there are cheaper alternatives out there.. tons of independents recommended on this site all the time. Do a search.

This is not difficult.
Go download the service manual and look at more YouTube videos.
buy the parts I linked you to
it's a simple and better fix and your bike will be 100% for $400.

use needle nose pliers for the snap clips
sometimes there is a large screw down the middle of the airbox (top middle)

This is not difficult.
Go download the service manual and look at more YouTube videos.
buy the parts I linked you to
it's a simple and better fix and your bike will be 100% for $400.

use needle nose pliers for the snap clips
sometimes there is a large screw down the middle of the airbox (top middle)

I will order the part tomorrow. For now youtube is my friend. Just having trouble getting the airbox thing off. There are 2 screws you gotta go through the frame to loosen. Video says a flexible screw driver which neither canadian tire nor home depot have even heard of. Any suggestions on this one? The other one is a stupid butterfly clip. Its on backwords with no room to work as its pinned backwards. Who puts this together and thinks "ya this makes sense". The hole in the frame for one screw was a cool one too. Who approved the design where there is 1 hole in the middle of the frame to get to one screw, once in a blue moon?

any way to check for sure that it truly is the r/r and/or stator?

Back
Top Bottom