The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation

Here are the bags strapped to the bike. Then a picture with the side cases on board. Final one is with the tank bag - ready to go!

Will post up whats going in my side cases next! Stay Tuned!

13708421_1062120707211050_2234533981434473371_o.jpg
13724052_1062120703877717_5604443186956394417_o.jpg
13730911_1062120700544384_8536209400948611364_o.jpg

Damn I'm jealous of your tent size, my Eureka pretty much fills up a 30L dry bag on it's own.

May want to bring a headlamp (the head kind, not bike) if you're not already.

13730911_1062120700544384_8536209400948611364_o.jpg

Clean set up - nice. Crank your preload up a bit - that weight is well back...

9926509134_9fd87f3c41.jpg

We travel with Motul Chain paste.
My mechanic recommended it. Sticks very well, applicator all built into a small tube that is easy to pack in a baggie....by the way a few zip lock baggies are useful...I'm sure you've got duct tape and zip ties??

Last edited:
Yah its a wonderful 3 person tent. Light and folds down as small as my sleeping bag, just a bit bigger then the size of a basketball but rectangularized. As suggested above, will be adding duct tape and zip ties!

Inside 1 Bag - All electronics inside ziplocks, Fz6 Manual, Scissors, Bug Spray 40% deet, camping cookwear, coffee maker, camping towel, 100ft para cord, camping stove, knife, 3 bottles fuel, forks, firestarter, tinfoil, headlamp

Bag 2 - Tarp, clear visor, tent pegs, fuel can with spare gasoline, chain lube, first aid, drink mix, toiletries, and tools in addition to oem (everything fits in the slime bag) swiss army knife, 3 c02 cans, jb weld, locktite, wrench and tire plug kit, epoxy, small flathead, pliers.

13710053_1062143523875435_839273115826190633_n.jpg
13729191_1062143543875433_6919101591025409340_n.jpg

Clothes Packed into 20L drybag

5 underwear 6 pairs socks (one fleece) 4 levy jeans 2 pair shorts, 2 tanktops, 3 t shirts, 1 longsleeve,
I am also bringing a winter hat and neck protector but that will be packed into someplace more acccesible.

12593619_1062108977212223_4201022263364438002_o.jpg

Why so many pairs of jeans? I can't see needing more than 1 or 2.

I agree and cotton sucks ....should ALL be polyester socks to shirts and everything in between...no Tees - nada in cotton.

I agree and cotton sucks ....should ALL be polyester socks to shirts and everything in between...no Tees - nada in cotton.

Why so many pairs of jeans? I can't see needing more than 1 or 2.

Unfortunately I am lacking in the wardrobe department. Everything I own is pretty much cotton and jean, but I do have a thermal base layer top and bottom which I will be bringing along and one of my tshirts is moisture wicking athletic wear. It is definitely an area I need improvement on but at this point I am likely not going to be shopping for clothes. I could hit up a value village or salvation army along the way if I feel otherwise. I typically roll around in the grass and get dirty so I don't feel like 4 jeans for a 3 week trip is overkill. I also have 2 shorts and my 3-layer riding pants too. I'm definitely taking notes though! Thanks guys! :)

The thing with poly is it's ability to dry within hours ....where as cotton gets wet and stays wet.
I had my Airglide 3 riding pants which were alway on and 1 pair 501 tactical pant for not riding situations tho they are fine for riding with my knee armor underneath.
2 poly riding shirts ( I use Columbia oversized fishing shirts with loads of useful pockets ) and a couple of poly underlayers ( Old Navy has inexpensive dry fit Ts )
We were out for 3 weeks as well and not camping.

Coldpruf oversized shirt is my final layer just inside the jacket if I need to keep warmth in. It's Merino and poly. Poly long johns under the riding pants - only used them once...miserable 13 degrees and raining all day in Quebec on this last trip.

These pack smaller, dry in a couple or hours...

cn6927504.jpg

http://www.oldnavy.ca/products/tops-activewear-by-style-men-C1031104.jsp

and

http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1053140&vid=1&pid=602425003

I learned my lesson about cotton getting pretty damn hypothermic in rural Pennsylvania - only rescued by spending an hour in the local marina restroom using the hand dryer to get gear dried out on the inside......and this was entirely from sweating into cotton from the inside.

Cotton will make you cold.
Good when it's hot like today .....not when you need to stay warm.

I don't think you have heated grips and if you get in the mountains and it's raining you'll get hypothermic amazingly quick ( ask my kid ) with cotton against your skin.
Take one or two pairs of jeans at most. I'm sure you can use the space. :D

The weather is looking good for you tho https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.html

You just need to keep an eye on radar for thunderstorms....you really do NOT want to ride through a severe Tstorm. Wait it out - it'll be gone soon enough. Good luck.
Your first day will be interesting and why in the hell haven't you already left? :D

Last edited:
Four pairs of jeans is way too many. Do you wear them under your motorcycle pants? If not, you'll be in your MC pants all day, then likely into a pair of shorts or light track pants at the campsite. I just did five weeks on the road. One pair of jeans, I wore them one night only.

Get a bungee net or two. Great for tying loose extra stuff to your packs or items that you need in a hurry, such as rain gear. Do not keep the rain gear in the dry bags, it's way too much hassle getting to it. Also use a net to tie down wet items (swim trunks, towel, etc.) to the packs, then you have an all day drying rack.

You should also have an extra pair or two of bungee straps. You never know when you might need them. ROK straps are best.

0d1a605743f2d42ad3cea6a97ad586af.jpg

via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mac,

Your help has been immeasurable! Thanks also for helping me to reset the preload! I am bringing a pair of goretex gloves and I have sidi discover rain boots and AGV telluride 3 layer pants. I have driven through hail storms and thunderstorms and have also used a hair dryer to get my hands from blue back to flesh colored. Thanks for the weather radar link!

Just need to button up some final things. Advance pay on my rent and bills, making sure my 220gallon saltwater reef is properly cared for in my absense and training crews to succeed during my absense! Monday morning can't come fast enough!

J

Four pairs of jeans is way too many. Do you wear them under your motorcycle pants? If not, you'll be in your MC pants all day, then likely into a pair of shorts or light track pants at the campsite. I just did five weeks on the road. One pair of jeans, I wore them one night only.

Get a bungee net or two. Great for tying loose extra stuff to your packs or items that you need in a hurry, such as rain gear. Do not keep the rain gear in the dry bags, it's way too much hassle getting to it. Also use a net to tie down wet items (swim trunks, towel, etc.) to the packs, then you have an all day drying rack.

You should also have an extra pair or two of bungee straps. You never know when you might need them. ROK straps are best.

0d1a605743f2d42ad3cea6a97ad586af.jpg

via Tapatalk

Yes, will be wearing only the MC pants only! Wow 5 weeks!!! I have added extra bungee cords to the kit! Thanks! =)

Unless the seat on your 09 is much more forgiving than the seat of my 2006 FZ6 I would suggest some wooden seat beads. I know they're not real sexy but they work good. Remember on a long trip the time it takes for your butt to get sore each day gets shorter every day of the trip - or at least that's how it works for me.
Also if you're camping most nights a camp chair (no stools it must have a back) is well worth the weight/space penalty.
Otherwise you look well prepared - I've been taking long mc trips for years and never left with as much gear as you are.

Lastly like others I think you're daily mileage seems optimistic but good for you- nothing ventured nothing gained as my late father would say.

Oh and yes way too many jeans.

Everyone takes a while to learn. Jay my former riding partner took a trip to Lake Placid with me and you would not beleive the stuff he carried on the Vstrom ( front bike )

5.jpg

Top case, side cases AND a honking great duffel bag you can see hanging off the seat ( off both sides ) . Watching a 5' 4" guy get on that was ahem "entertaining" ...luckily he was agile.

My clothes for 3 weeks except the 501's fit in a helmet bag with room to spare. I find helmet bags useful as they stuff into nooks and crannies in off shaped side cases. My camera and computer gear take up more room than clothes.

BTW thick elastics are really useful.

I know you said you're bringing your earplugs. I suggest wearing them all the time. I have found that the proper sound suppression helps minimize mental fatigue. I wear my earplugs on even short runs when i'm on the highway.

If you are playing your music through your SENA's, you should find the sound a lot less tinny and more enjoyable with earplugs in.

I have done the run from Toronto the Vancouver. We detoured through CO to pickup a local beer at the time. Back then I didn't know how much earplugs made a difference.

You are going to have a great time.
Safe travels and don't sweat the small stuff. There are Walmarts along the way to pickup anything you may have forgotten or need more of.

agreed !!!
What's the longest day you've done so far?
and
What's the hurry??

First impression is you've set a way too agressive schedule especially for the Canadian route. Dakota's you can do big mileage but trans Canada that's exceptionally difficult especially on a bike not designed for touring and into prevailing head winds

•••

Your packing list and gear seems fine. You might try an fit a tire plug kit with a small compressor. Can save a lot of grief and not so hard to use. Get the string type - not the mushroom plugs.

Keep this on your phone

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myradar-noaa-weather-radar/id322439990?mt=8

also Waze if you are on a plan.

Supplimentary charging batteries are invaluable ...we use Antigravity. Biker starter, forever flashlight, phone charger, Sena charger all in a tiny package.

There is a Touring Tips thread on here somewhere ...might provide some ideas.

undergarments are crucial , self wicking breathable suits ... makes a huge difference oh and lightweight rain-gear. I've had good luck with frogg toggs
Ride safe and enjoy !

We all learn what works best for us as we go. Though, much of what I used when I started is still what I use today.

I always packed small but that was for 3-4 day trips...( I travel a lot non-motorcycle so know what I need and don't). Polyester gear was the biggest shift for me after that experience in PA with hypothermia. Adding poly boxers was recent and are great..used to take cotton boxers - good poly is expensive but pack really small and dry really quick.

The last 12 months was learning curve for 3 week trips with the kid and we did better this year for packing what we needed....tho kid likes to collect Tshirts of adventures .

Our intrepid cross country rider at least has fair weather for the first day

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WGJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom