The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation

X2 on being prepared for cold weather in the mountains. We have pictures of our kids sledding (in yes, snow) down the side of a hill at Rogers Pass. In August.

I did this trip on a 600 Katana back in 2003, I was a real novice at the time for distance touring. I took me 6 days and I rode long days, from 9:00 AM or earlier into the evening hours. When the sun set I remember looking for a hotel and stopping - I didn't do much exploring with the intent of getting there as quick as possible and it took 6 days, if this helps. A few things that come to mind hopefully one or two points will help:
-lots of construction up north in summer will slow you down, hopefully modern tools like Waze can help
-Bring something to clean the bugs off your visor / windshield. You will have to stop to wipe them off so you can see.
-Be careful in the prairies if riding at night, lots of critters run across the highway.
-Lots of vacation traffic going through the mountains, may slow you down. When there is no traffic the ride is spectacular!
-Maybe a fuel canister to extend your gas stops - don't skip gas stations when you are half or a quarter full up north, you may not reach the next station. I had to switch to reserve in the mountains in BC and almost ran dry before the next station.

4 days feels optimistic, but I think that's what it takes in a car so it may be possible. I would try to leave earlier if you can, give yourself 5 days or leave midway through the day before you plan to leave if you can...

Good luck!

...reallly boogie across the Dakotas - the trick is timing getting through Chicago.

Getting past Chicago if you expect traffic isn't too bad, just stay south and go a little wide through Joliet before heading North/Northwest. it might add a 1/2 hour - hour that could easily be lost to traffic in Chicago. Traffic around Gary IN is pretty dicey, lots of construction and sketchy drivers there and through Michigan.

Illinois and North, you can really open it up. 70 and 75 mph limits once you hit the Dakota's, but very easy to push 80-85 to make some good time.

We just came through the US route to/From Saskatchewan a week or so ago in the car

Not sure what tools come with the bike but definitely bring a tire repair tool and extra fuses.

Have fun and ride safe!

-jv

My personal preference for touring long distances in short time is to eat a large breakfast, then ride pretty much non-stop until the day is done. Gas stops are Nascar style, with maybe a protein bar. I find if I stop, grab a lunch, take a break, I'm more tired and unfocused afterwards. If I'm really tired, an energy drink of some sort keeps me going. Advantage of not taking extended breaks is it saves a lot of time. Stopping, grabbing a lunch (even something super quick like McDonalds) will easily chew up 30-60 minutes of riding time. This what works for me, may not work for you.

As for your schedule, 1000km in 10 hours is doable, but hard. Near impossible if you intend on taking brakes as you describe. 1000km in 12 hours is more realistic. Doing that sort of mileage continuously for four days will beat you up really bad, expect to be completely spent and unable to do anything after the four days.

For tools, the stock FZ6 tool kit (if you have it all) has everything needed to adjust the chain; two wrenches to loosen the axle and two ten mm's to move the adjusters. That's '04-06 models, can't remember if '07+ is different. I would add a multitool (Leatherman Wave is my favourite), zip ties, electrical tape, that will get you through most roadside fixes. A tire patch kit isn't a bad idea, though I personally have never needed one on the road (two nails in ~150k km of riding)

I would add a camping chair to your camping supplies. My fake Helinox ($40 from Sail, can be bought from Amazon etc.) is one of my favourite camping things. Packs up pretty small (~12"x4") and is crazy comfortable. After a long day riding, you'll want something comfy to sit in and relax. Not realistic for you since you already have a stove, but I like my MSR Dragonfly. Runs off regular gas, so the gas canister acts as a fuel backup. Saved me this past weekend, that extra litre was the difference between me being stuck in the middle of nowhere NH and puttering into a gas station.

Another thing is a warm set of baselayers. I have the Under Armour infrared or something. Packs up small, doesn't add bulk, and big increase in warmth.

Addendum: Rok Straps are the ish for strapping stuff to your bike, used to do the bungee cord thing, but it's a night and day difference.

Last edited:
i've been to vancouver and back twice by bike. seems a shame to do it on such a tight schedule. if you expect to do it in your time frame you will have to ride from near sun up to near sun down. I would stay in motels for a good rest in a real bed - and a shower. you'll arrive in a little better shape for your trail tour hook up.

edit: i did the US route and the cdn. I would stay in canada. US blows-i prefer canucks. If you do the states have health insurance and US currency.

Last edited:
US blows-i prefer canucks.

There is some very scenic roads out west that I'd love to ride on a motorcycle. The entire stretch from the Canadian border south of Vancouver through to east Wyoming/Montana was very memorable, particularly Yellowstone National Park and the Bighorn mountains. I'd LOVE to ride my bike across Highway 14 out of Yellowstone through to Sheridan WY - that was an incredible stretch of road, albeit you'd best be on your toes riding it on a bike - those stereotypical guardrails-into-oblivion views were commonplace.

Yes, once you get to the middle of the continent is was boring as hell...but much the same could be said for driving it across the Canadian side as well. The prairies aren't exactly the most exhilarating ride or drive at the best of times.

Anyone who'd driven the I90 stretch out there will almost certainly be familiar with Wall Drug, however. ;)

I can't thank you guys enough for your input. Very much appreciated.

A quick update

The on the go card reader I bought doesnt function the way I wanted. I would have to transfer files from my videocard twice. Once on to my phones memory and then to the hard drive. With some research I realized I needed a HUB that allows for peripherals to be used simultaniously. So I bought this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018S9DBZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and should be arriving today!

I will post up some photo's of the final equipment before heading out with any changes to the gear.

Thanks again :)

Electronics are sorted for the trip.

I have an led flashlight with charger and 4 batteries, 300Gb western digital hard drive, 4X 32gb micro sd cards, Ghost Drift S with waterproof door, Sena SMH10 bluetooth, Card reader HUB, backup card reader, Garmin GPS, quick charge wall plug, 4800mah battery charger, 3600mah charger and 2000mah charger, 12v socket splitter, various cables.

13692925_1061543037268817_2007011715471599441_o.jpg

Just saw the thread and wanted to say best of luck on your trip. I've thought about doing similar at some point (currently the most I've done are full day trips or an overnight).

That said, maybe it is because I'm in my 30s, or maybe it's because I'm not as hardcore as some, but if I ever did a trip like this I'd want a nice cold (or warm) hotel/motel room each night. Riding for hours on end can take a toll on you mentally and physically, and a comfy bed and warm shower can to wonders to keep you going. Arguably if I were you, I'd try to look up at least one motel about mid way in case you do need a break, for at least one night, unless you've done similar before.

Still, I know many who enjoy camping off their bikes, or have done 5 days down at the Dragon in tents before coming back to Ontario.

FYI if the hard drive route still gives you trouble, Western Digital sells "My Passport" drives that have both a built-in battery and a built in SD card reader that can auto-dump to the drive. I haven't bought one yet, but it does go through my mind from time to time...although if I did anything more than 2-3 and was staying in motels, I'd likely bring my little 10" laptop with me for Internet access and also to scrub some of the footage from each day. Going through 5 days worth of raw footage would suck balls after a trip. lol

I find food prepared with boiling water are easiest while camping on a motorcycle - corn on the cop - Mr noodles - 2 in one coffee packets where u just add water made by nestle I think is a must - done some camping with my bike also.

Don't forget you'd also need protein to keep you going...things that don't need refrigeration or even cooking could be good...canned salmon and tuna come instantly to mind.

Also I like the idea of the subway sandwich split between meals...I used to do that a lot at work when I was taking a night class and wouldn't get home until 8-10pm...half a sub for lunch and the other half as I was about to leave around 5pm. Would also take up about as much space as a water bottle in a tank/tail bag. Was also my plan for the Iron Butt if I ever end up doing it. lol

I did see those western digital drives with the built in readers. Nice tech! Super expensive. I managed to find a hub that works just fine for $12.99 and got it from amazon.ca in 2 days.

Tank Bag Sorted

Hydration bladder, Knife, Bear Spray, Waterproof door for Ghost Drift S, Memory cards, 12v Cigarette lighter splitter, GPS, **** Tickets and Wet Wipes, Kickstand Rest, Digital Tire Gauge, LED flashlight, Soap for Bug Removal. I will also be adding a microfiber cloth and some of those slender packets to dissolve in water bottle for flavor (and alternative to the hydration pack) and will likely also keep house keys and credit cards inside.

Need to prepare clothes and will post up pics of whats going inside each panier!

The only thing that concerns me is the knife being in the bag. If I am pulled over this may (at the officers disrection) be seen as a concealed weapon. Although they won't be searching my bag I may keep documents inside and it might become visible. I can only urge him that it is NOT a weapon but rather a tool that I use for cutting rope and fishing line, camping etc. If I wore it on my belt and it were visible it would be legal but I decided against doing that because its bulky and with the riding position there is not a comfortable place to mount it.

13710624_1062052347217886_8039609829817673727_o.jpg

Last edited:
Packets of mixed nuts are a great and tasty protein source and provide much needed salt if it's hot....can be eaten on the fly if you set it up right. Starbucks has flavored caffienated packets that give you a fix and taste good.

It'a a tight schedule. You'll be riding hard. Would suggest you give yourself at least an extra day. I used to go out to BC almost every year for a while. First time was via the Trans-Canada, but every time after was thru the US. Camping along the way isn't too bad as long as you can get a shower in the AM. I gave up carting a stove with me after the first time. Lots of places to get food and not have to worry about preparing it. Snacks like nuts etc are great. I carry cereal for breakfast and buy a small milk in the morning at the first stop. I go till about an hour before I want to stop for the day and start looking for campgrounds. Sometimes I end up camping a bit later than an hour, but usually not too bad.

Mixed nuts for on the fly protein is an excellent suggestion!

Ive got 2 drybags coming along. one 40L and one 20L.

Inside the 40L so far, sleeping bag (snow owl 360R, -13, 1200gram synthetic shingle), tent (Sierra Design Fire Storm), poles, thermal liner for motorcycle jacket, thermal liner for motorcycle pants, waterproof layer for motorcycle pants, columbia fleece jacket. There is still a bit more room in here I may stuff a pair of running shoes and leftover or last minute bits. I went with hi viz yellow bag because it makes the black bike more noticeable but also I have heard searching through a black bag at night even with flashlight is quite difficult.

13734962_1062064810549973_3149369668471387660_o.jpg
13731967_1062066870549767_8657759345183554131_o.jpg

13754251_1062064813883306_5145536952328661293_n.jpg

Last edited:
I roll my Thermarest, tent and sleeping bag inside my ground sheet tarp. Bright orange to be visible too. Anything you need before the end of the day I kept out of that roll.

I roll my Thermarest, tent and sleeping bag inside my ground sheet tarp. Bright orange to be visible too. Anything you need before the end of the day I kept out of that roll.

This is an excellent idea! My tarp is camo and fits folded in my panier but same idea about packing my 40L. It is for end of day setting up camp, or if riding into a rain storm or cold and need to retrieve waterproof or thermal layers. I managed to squeeze my thermarest in and it closes! Thanks for the tip! ;)

Rather than the flavour crystal packs we prefer MIO - one squirt does a 1/2 litre or more ....very concentrated...tons of flavours and some caffeine based energy concentrates as well.
http://www.makeitmio.com/about

We keep 2 or three tucked in the tank bag. No mess - well thought out product.

Clothes Packed into 20L drybag

5 underwear 6 pairs socks (one fleece) 4 levy jeans 2 pair shorts, 2 tanktops, 3 t shirts, 1 longsleeve,
I am also bringing a winter hat and neck protector but that will be packed into someplace more acccesible.

12593619_1062108977212223_4201022263364438002_o.jpg
13765974_1062108973878890_3570277371718507168_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom