The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation | GTAMotorcycle.com

The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation

Fr33On2Wh33ls

A week from now I am hoping to be rolling out of the 6 and making my way across Canada on 2 wheels.

The goal is to leave Monday morning July 25th and arrive in Victoria by Friday evening July 29th.

I am planning to ride 3 hrs and break for breakfast, 3 hrs break for lunch, and then 4-5hrs to reach my camping spot for the night, setup camp, have dinner and snooze. I would really like to average 10hrs riding per day and min 1000km per day. I will likely be camping in provincial parks although havn't mapped a firm route yet. I am not planning to drive at night especially through Northern Ontario.

The bike is a 2009 Fz6 with 20,000K. I recently had it serviced and inspected and have been given the thumbs up and green light from my mechanic after sorting out a griding noise by installing a new cam chain tensioner :/ Tires are good for one way and chain is ready. I will be bringing a can of chain lube to use everyday. Might also bring a small can of wd40, loktite, epoxy and zip ties.

Ive got a 2 person 3 season tent and just re waterproofed the fly. Other camping gear I am hauling include a small tarp, small thermarest, sleeping bag and tiny stove with fuel, a pot and plate and cup, coffee maker, coffee grinds, camping towel, bug spray, first aid kit, toiletries, cutlery, bear spray. Im bringing an old knife good for batoning and grunt work and a SOG seal pup for anything else. Ive got 1.5Litre hydration pouch with hose that fits into my tank bag. All other gear mentioned above goes into 2 small hard lockable side cases. I am also bringing a 750ml metal fuel canister for emergency fuel. Using gasbuddy.com and filling up anytime I reach between 1/2 and 1/4 tank I don't see myself running out. For anyone who has done it what stretch of road am I most likely to run out of fuel?

Electronics include a sena smh10 and a helmet cam and 4x 32gb sd cards. I am bringing a 300gb hard drive and plan to transfer video each night from the cards to the hdd using my android cell phone. I have 2 small powerbanks and onboard 12v charging capability. I have a cell phone with waterproof case held onto the bike with ram mounts x grip. Will bring an array of cables and spare cables.

I am debating about what tools to bring. The bike has stock tools under the seat but I am wondering if I should bring a wrench large enough for the rear axle nut and a pair of narrow tip plyers to do chain tightening on the fly. I figure I won't be so far away from help if I need it and if the breakdown were major I wouldnt know how to fix the problem even IF I had all the right tools. I am just not sure how much weight in tools is worth briging along. If you have any suggestions for tools in this regard please don't hesiate to respond :p

For Gear I have my Shift Moto Jacket, Shoei Rf1000 with tinted visor, I will bring a clear visor also, Ive got handroid knox gloves and short alpinestar smx for backup, AGV telluride pants and Sidi discovery rainboots. I will bring sunglasses, and minimal standard clothing. Whatever can fit into a 10L drybag plus a pair of sneakers.

Will try and post photo's along the way and video will be dealt with a few weeks after my return!

what hard drive do you have and have you tried uploading video on it before?...i'm looking into getting one for our 2 week trip in August but can't decide on which one and how fast the videos will upload using a phone (they take long enough on a desktop as it is) without draining its battery...

Its a regular western digital my passport drive. I havn't tried uploading video yet but it is on my to do list.
I have to use a Y usb splitter cable to power the hard drive with a battery bank and I figure there is enough power even if it takes a few hours to transfer files each night.

I bought this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...&utm_medium=transactional&utm_campaign=CANLET

and this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...&utm_medium=transactional&utm_campaign=CANLET

and hope this will allow me to use the phone as the interface to copy and paste files from sd card to hard drive.

What's the longest day you've done so far?
and
What's the hurry??

First impression is you've set a way too agressive schedule especially for the Canadian route. Dakota's you can do big mileage but trans Canada that's exceptionally difficult especially on a bike not designed for touring and into prevailing head winds

•••

Your packing list and gear seems fine. You might try an fit a tire plug kit with a small compressor. Can save a lot of grief and not so hard to use. Get the string type - not the mushroom plugs.

Keep this on your phone

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myradar-noaa-weather-radar/id322439990?mt=8

also Waze if you are on a plan.

Supplimentary charging batteries are invaluable ...we use Antigravity. Biker starter, forever flashlight, phone charger, Sena charger all in a tiny package.

There is a Touring Tips thread on here somewhere ...might provide some ideas.

Last edited:
What's the longest day you've done so far?
and
What's the hurry??

First impression is you've set a way too agressive schedule especially for the Canadian route. Dakota's you can do big mileage but trans Canada that's exceptionally difficult especially on a bike not designed for touring and into prevailing head winds

•••

Your packing list and gear seems fine. You might try an fit a tire plug kit with a small compressor. Can save a lot of grief and not so hard to use. Get the string type - not the mushroom plugs.

Keep this on your phone

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myradar-noaa-weather-radar/id322439990?mt=8

also Waze if you are on a plan.

Supplimentary charging batteries are invaluable ...we use Antigravity. Biker starter, forever flashlight, phone charger, Sena charger all in a tiny package.

There is a Touring Tips thread on here somewhere ...might provide some ideas.

Ive done a 4hr non stop ride, but on this bike thats it. I have done 8hr bicycle riding when I was younger for multiple days doing road tours so I find the stock motorcycle seat reasonably comfy. I am more worried about cramping and fatigue from wrists neck and legs.

The hurry is the group is leaving Sat morning for the west coast trail via boat ride and I need to be on that boat, which means friday evening I'll have to catch a ferry ride (the last one likely) from vancouver or I will miss the entire weekend on the west coast trail.

Depending on funds I might have 8 days or 9 days even for the return trip which will allow me to be more flexible and explore!

Thanks for the radar link! :)

I've got approx 10,000Mah of battery power plus 12v USB capabilities hardwired to the bike. Just need to remember to bring spare fuses :D

Well good luck - take pain pills - one of our long distance warriors buys one foot long Subway sandwich for breakfast and lunch on the fly to save break time..cut in two -goes a long way.

What are you hydrating with?

GMap shows the US the faster route by 6 hours and no question you can reallly boogie across the Dakotas - the trick is timing getting through Chicago.

https://goo.gl/maps/GTTCTbUMUVS2

versus

https://goo.gl/maps/XsFzvN929DH2

Last edited:
I have 1.5litre camelback and will likely bring gatorade powder to mix in a separate 750ml water bottle. Adding asprin to the list. Good call!

Windshield

Ibuprofen AND Tylenol. Different methods to accomplish the same goal of keeping you comfortable, and can safely be taken together.

I've done this trip. Your 10-11 hours of riding every day to reach the required number of kilometers to make your goal on time is rather optimistic - I'd be planning for 12+ hours or riding myself. 4400 Kilometers, basically, split by 4 days = 1100 Kilometers a day required to make your goal. You are not going to average 110KPH over 1100 Kilometers on many sections of the Trans Canada. If you take a 90KPH average for example, to cover 1100K per day you're riding 12+ hours.

Definitely try to enjoy the trip home at least. We did the trip in 6 days and even then despite all the things we stopped to see, we passed a lot we wish we'd have made time for. The trip home back through the USA was significantly more boring so perhaps taking the trip out west via the USA (which as has been mentioned can be a lot faster) and coming *back* through Canada (with time to enjoy the trip) would be a better idea.

And yeah, Jayells suggestion for toilet paper is a good one - there are stretches in northern ontario where there's not much in the way of civilization for long, long stretches. ;)

Neckie/scarf , something to cover your neck.
Soak it with water direct from your camel back when its hot.
Pull it up to cover your nose when it becomes chilly.

Also warm layers for the mountains.

Chocolate covered coffee beans ------ I recommend abstaining from coffee a week prior to your trip and take caffeine only when you really need it.

I have been looking at options. Will likely choose the Go Cruise style lock FWIW

Toilet paper.

Packed already along with Wet Naps.

Windshield

I have a puig racing screen which is bubbled and larger then stock though not by much..

attachment.php

seriously.
ride 4000km with a shorty screen and my head will fall off.

earplugs

I have the sena bluetooth and music but I've also got a pair of decent ear plugs too!

Ibuprofen AND Tylenol. Different methods to accomplish the same goal of keeping you comfortable, and can safely be taken together.

I've done this trip. Your 10-11 hours of riding every day to reach the required number of kilometers to make your goal on time is rather optimistic - I'd be planning for 12+ hours or riding myself. 4400 Kilometers, basically, split by 4 days = 1100 Kilometers a day required to make your goal. You are not going to average 110KPH over 1100 Kilometers on many sections of the Trans Canada. If you take a 90KPH average for example, to cover 1100K per day you're riding 12+ hours.

Definitely try to enjoy the trip home at least. We did the trip in 6 days and even then despite all the things we stopped to see, we passed a lot we wish we'd have made time for. The trip home back through the USA was significantly more boring so perhaps taking the trip out west via the USA (which as has been mentioned can be a lot faster) and coming *back* through Canada (with time to enjoy the trip) would be a better idea.

And yeah, Jayells suggestion for toilet paper is a good one - there are stretches in northern ontario where there's not much in the way of civilization for long, long stretches. ;)

Thanks for the input! I am flirting with the idea of 12+ hr days so that I can reach Alberta in 3 days and have the fourth day off to explore before getting to Vancouver on day 5.
13735096_1059240100832444_823782094825001071_o.jpg

Neckie/scarf , something to cover your neck.
Soak it with water direct from your camel back when its hot.
Pull it up to cover your nose when it becomes chilly.

Also warm layers for the mountains.

Chocolate covered coffee beans ------ I recommend abstaining from coffee a week prior to your trip and take caffeine only when you really need it.

Very good suggestions! Typically don't think about the neck exposure but you're right!

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 280
I find food prepared with boiling water are easiest while camping on a motorcycle - corn on the cop - Mr noodles - 2 in one coffee packets where u just add water made by nestle I think is a must - done some camping with my bike also.

I've done this trip on my fz6r, the bike can tour. But if you've never done more than 4 hour trips, you do get sore by day 3 of continuous riding, and it's not much of sightseeing or rest on short time frame.

I really found the Givi racks super handy to tie things to the bike.
West side of US has mostly higher speed limits.

And get early to the BC ferries, they mostly try to run on time, but occasionally can be 1 hour (less or more) difference.
Was planning heading out west to BC on bike again this year, but work stuff has changed.

Last edited:
quick putty, anything by jbweld. If you don't have a rad guard, this may save your day.
http://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-putty-sticks

Zip ties, get the industrial ones if you can

You can never go wrong with duct tape.

I didn't see rain gear on your items. Hope you have some good ones cause the weather can be dicey. The high altitude passes in Alberta/BC can be very chilly depending on the time of day. Also, don't forget chap stick, it can be annoying. Drink plenty of water. Stay safe and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom