The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The 6 to Vancouver - packing list and preparation

Hope he's okay ....that was a rough start this morning if he left between 5 and 6 am. Guy up at the Forks who has lived there for 40 years said it was the worst he's seen.

Yeah, taking the weather into consideration is another important factor - it's hard to average 1000+ K/day when you spend an hour waiting out lightening, or 2-3 hours poking along at half the speed limit in heavy downpours.

OP, hows your trip going?

wonder how he's doing. with all those gadgets he should have been able to send something by now. hope he is doing well.

perhaps the reality of his schedule kicked in and he only had time to ride and sleep.

Did you make it?

Last edited:
Yeah not sure what the status is especially given the nasty weather on Monday early. Keeping fingers crossed.

Hopefully he's ok...I don't think there has been any big accidents in the news heading west in the last week or so. Hopefully lack of posting was just a fail of technology (or roughing it was harder on him than he expected), and we hear back soon.

I will admit it seems odd he posted so many times prior, and then went dark as soon as he set out.

Hey guys! I made it! I am so thankful for the advice given in this thread as I wouldn't have made it otherwise. I was really determined and pushed myself harder then I have ever done before. I made incredible time though. I rode some of the nicest roads in my life and the best part about coming out west is each province just keeps getting better and better! I learned I need to bring hard copy maps with me and not rely on my phone as much - because the 12v charger on my bike went down and I was way too dependent on it. I have some video and pictures too and I plan to post up an in depth and better write up with pics and video when I return home! For now, here is a tidbit.

Day 1 was exciting. (beautiful riding, great weather, little to no traffic - minor construction though and managed to get to the provincial park early evening and had a great nights rest). I bought a 6 pack of eggs and boiled them all and had 3 for dinner and saved 3 for breakfast the next morning which worked out very well with my coffee! The ear plugs I had purchased for $30 from marks work warehouse were hurting my ear causing a headache and my butt was so incredibly sore I was second guessing the entire trip. A walmart appeared luckily and I found 4$ ear plugs and a pillow - which were both game changers. The pillow was strapped to my seat and gave my butt incredible comfort to get through the whole day and the ear plugs got the job done well. I listened to music on my Sena mostly and had my GPS on my phone on and off intermittently. Filled up the hydration bladder almost every gas station. I ended up stopping after roughly every 220km to fill up. Prices varied but never came close to running out. So many angels on motorcycles flying around lake superior. Oh and I tagged along for a stretch and made excellent time but when they stopped for gas the leader was ****** and told me to stop f-ing following them. I stopped.

Day 2 was grueling. I was up at 5am packing up camp and departed at 6am sharp. My 12v charger died (or the switch) and I was running my phone off my battery bank (and kept my Sena off the whole day!) I found a Canadian Tire and replaced the switch and it started working again but I decided having my phone charging, my ghost drift camera and my Sena all at once was a bad idea with such a cheap switch. I rode 14.5 hrs and made it into Winnipeg after dark. A police helicopter was following me through some twisties and I paid no attention. The next gas station I was at an OPP cruiser was waiting there and motioned me to come over to his window. He told me there were complains of a motorcycle matching mine crossing double yellow lines. He told me to ride safe and that was that. I was sore and took 2 extra strength Tylenol. The park I researched was just a park not a camping grounds and after being awake for 17hrs it didn't occur to me after 1km on gravel that perhaps I wasn't headed somewhere with running water. After the exhausting day I had I was pretty ******. I backtracked to the Winnipeg and found a Super8 and spent 100$. I took a shower and charged all my backup battery chargers. Having a bed to sleep in and not having to deal with camping tear down and set up was really nice and definitely worth the money considering I was not in the best of spirits.

Day 3 was liberating. I woke up at 5:30 and had their complimentary breakfast at 6. I had a cup of coffee and cup of orange juice. I ate a cinnamon bun and a waffle. I took 2 apples and 2 oranges and stuffed them in my backpack for the road also. That morning I left at 7am I told myself it is a new day and by the end of it I will be in Alberta and that kept me going. I felt compelled to follow through with the plan especially as I had stayed in a motel and was overbudget. My ghost drift S camera shut off and won't turn back on. Not sure if the screen is dead or the cables I brought are bad but I don't have any video after day 3. (I am trying to find a vendor in Vancouver to possibly have it looked at). Day 3 was epic to say the least. The weather cooperated and so did the traffic. I averaged over speed limit speeds nearly the whole day and made it just passed medicine hat for the evening. It was something like 18 hours of being awake and nearly 15hrs of riding though. The campgrounds were nasty and near a marsh the bugs were out of control.

Day 4 was life changing. I woke up and GTFO. Coming up on the mountains and driving through Banff national park was tremendous. It is almost as if these roads were intended and built for motorcycling. Skies were clear though traffic at times came to a crawl or even a stop I saw lake louise, met up with a bunch of riders there and rode all the way until Tsawassan in British Columbia. Though I arrived 3am Friday well past the last ferry I was technically a day early! I hopped on the 7am ferry to Vancouver Island the next day and rested.

I am sorry for not dropping a quick note sooner, but all is well and it is quite possible to do TORONTO to VANCOUVER in 4 grueling days, with some forethought and preparation and determination! Much easier to do if you're staying in hotels or motels. I haven't decided if I will take the same route home but I just arrived so I would like to not think about leaving at the moment. The salmon out here is really tasty by the way! Thanks again to everyone here for the help and support and stay tuned for some pictures and if I get the ghost drift s working videos of the return trip! On my to do list is an oil change, rear tire inspection and chain service.

Fr33

Last edited:
Awesome, glad to hear you made it safe and sound and had some adventures along the way.

Yay - clearly you got out of the GTA around that crazy storm Monday...was watching the weathermost days and looked good except for that beast. Well done

Last edited:
Glad to hear you made it, and sad to hear it didn't involve Barrie strippers like boyoboy said. lol

Just came across this thread now!

Clearly too late since you're already here but when I started reading this thread, I was thinking of meeting you a few hrs out from Vancouver and to join you for the stretch to the ferry.

You absolutely killed this trip! You dont mess around. Inspiring, but it is too bad that you didnt get to stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy BC while you're out here.

Though I arrived 3am Friday well past the last ferry I was technically a day early! I hopped on the 7am ferry to Vancouver Island the next day and rested.

you a brave boy riding that late in critter country. Rider from Milton made it all the way out - not quite as fast as you but similar bike and did a somersault over a deer the next morning and ended his ride - broke a finger and had to get the bike trucked back to Ontario.....and subsequently quit riding. He was a member here and a client of mine. I bought his scala set.

My kid got lost on a wrong turn the first day north of Van and had to dodge a bear and some deer getting back to the correct road and to one frantic parent near dusk. ( 10 pm but was June so lots of light )

Another rider we did not meet but heard about from the motel manager ended his western ride broadsiding a mountain goat....they come down to lick the salt ...stand there stupidly in the road and are the colour of the pavement. We saw several near Muncho Lake and also just north of Lake Louise ( they were doing their damnest to eat a piece of road machinery - after the salt ).
goats%2Bwill%2Beat%2Banything.JPG

At this point in time I'd not push your luck riding later and early tho critters can be around anytime ....was coming up to a small town north of Vancouver about 9.30 am and calmly standing by the road was a good size buck.

To the left was a slope I'd have a hard time beleiving he came down....and to the right over the guard rail ( he was on the road side of guard rail )...was what looked to be vertical down to the river....I slowed right down ...he looked and then jumped to the right !!! and disappeared !!!...this was like 1/2 km from the town.

Neat thing but risky thing with BC is there are so many different critters, deer, both types of bear, suicidal marmots that are BIG, moose, Dahl sheep, mountain goats and caribou....ALL of which we saw near or on the road....oh yeah elk too.

Check with local riders for the critter risks in the area you are riding. Good for you....amazing trip, time to take it easy and enjoy the fabulous sights.
Time to have fun and smell the roses.

Are you on Vancouver Island now?. The road to Pot Alberni is simply wonderful....scenery and ride quality tho traffic is an issue.

••••

I'd be interested in your total cost of the trip to get to Vancouver ....food fuel and accommodation.
See how it compares to flying the bike out - which costs now around $1100 for rider and bike. ( we did that but it was a bit cheaper ...$900 )
or trucking is which costs around $800.

My guess on fuel is about 200 litres.

We enjoyed the Super8s out west....lovely beds and pillows and good free breakfast....that was a smart choice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom